Airfix Victor? Airfix 2016 Yearbook Cover Photo!

tonyot

Do you guys really want a new tool Vulcan from Airfix? Just imagine all the grief from those trying to close up the fuselage with that fully detailed cockpit and bomb bay - all those bulkheads and formers to squeeze together. And just imagine trying to line up all those weighted wheels. :evil_laugh:

You're right. It just doesn't bear thinking about, does it?

Practise on a kit of a 747 first - if you can get the all the wheels of a Jumbo to touch the deck at once, you're laughing. It shouldn't be beyond the wit of Airfix to key the undercarriage axles to weighted wheels (or vice versa) like on the recent Lightning kits, so it may not be a masochist's delight after all.

The trouble with a new tooling Vulcan for Airfix is going to be the fact that as the last flying example is now grounded and efforts to get a Shackleton and even possibly Concorde flying, will leave the general public without the interest in the Vulcan and to be fair it's those long term sales which will bring in the profits.

In my original post when I first mentioned the yearbook I dd mention the release date of Novemeber 12th!

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234991159-airfix-2016/?hl=%2Bairfix+%2B2016

And... does it matter much as to which Victor vesrion they do? AT least the Matchvell one can be filed under B for b....

Why do people have to bicker over which one is the most worn Ahah, Surely they both deserve retooling I mean any company focusing on British stuff would be a fool to ignore the Vulcan, Victor, Halifax, Canberra all are significant.

The old Vulcan Kit is good though and highly accurate for the most part.

Another I thing they should do is a 1/24th Harrier GR5 :)

Edited by robvulcan
  • Like 2

Why do people have to bicker over which one is the most worn Ahah, Surely they both deserve retooling I mean any company focusing on British stuff would be a fool to ignore the Vulcan, Victor, Halifax, Canberra all are significant.

The old Vulcan Kit is good though and highly accurate for the most part.

Another I think they should do is a 1/24th Harrier GR5/7/9 :)

Edited the last bit for you ;)
  • Like 2

Why do people have to bicker over which one is the most worn Ahah, Surely they both deserve retooling I mean any company focusing on British stuff would be a fool to ignore the Vulcan, Victor,

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see both of these coming in quick succession. The hints about a new Victor have been pretty obvious, while the high profile of the Vulcan in recent years must have put it on Airfix's radar. XH558's retirement would have made good timing for a new model this year, but with a potential 2-3 year development cycle, a timed release would need to have been scheduled before the retirement was announced.

If there is a Vulcan in the pipeline somewhere, I'd expect Airfix to be pushing for it sooner than later.

Cheers,

Bill.

• Like 2

With respect to the Vulcan / Victor debate. Do Airfix still have the Vulcan B2 is in its current catalog, if so are they 'old' stock or is it still in production. If so and the old mould still sells then why spend money on a new one, better produce something new, ie Victor.

I see the case for replacing the Halifax as that mould is very old (40 ish?) whereas the Vulcan as far as I can tell is still a decent kit, raised lines and tricky intakes excepted. If Airfix are to do a new V bomber then the Victor is an obvious gap. Would it sell, I assume that depends on the figures for the Valiant (with respect) a more obscure type.

Still not convinced they will take the plunge though, cover photo not withstanding. Happy to be proved wrong though.

Trevor

The old Airfix Spit Mk1 was a good kit and they retooled that, same with the Gnat, Harrier Gr1/3 7/9 , Lancaster too list goes on. Why not a Vulcan in her last year be silly to miss out on her high approval at the mo. Victor is an obvious choice also I love em all so I'll be happy if they do any of them.

We will find out tommoro bet it ends up being a 1/24 WW2 job lol

Edited by robvulcan

With respect to the Vulcan / Victor debate. Do Airfix still have the Vulcan B2 is in its current catalog, if so are they 'old' stock or is it still in production. If so and the old mould still sells then why spend money on a new one, better produce something new, ie Victor.

That's not their current ethos - it seems to be if a kit sells well as an old mould, then a new mould will sell even better - you have the existing residual sales plus all those who would buy a new tool one.

The old Airfix Spit Mk1 was a good kit and they retooled that, same with the Gnat, Harrier Gr1/3 7/9 , Lancaster too list goes on. Why not a Vulcan in her last year be silly to miss out on her high approval at the mo. Victor is an obvious choice also I love em all so I'll be happy if they do any of them.

We will find out tommoro bet it ends up being a 1/24 WW2 job lol

The old Spit Mk.I was good but the tool was not really in good shape judging by the flash and sink marks on the latest pressings I have of the old tool. The Gnat was a joke in terms of details and mould quality, belonging to a long gone era. The Harrier GR.3 was an awful waste of plastic. The Lancaster was still good though and the second generation Harriers decent. The Vulcan tool is relatively recent compared to most you mentioned.

At the same time Airfix has retooled anything that was selling well, if the Vulcan has sold well and they can see that new sales will repay for the new tool, they will likely do it.

Back to the Victor, I wouldn't mind a B.I as this would allow a new variant to be built. At the same time, the use of some parts from the matchbox kit may allow us to finally build a good B.2 too. The revell rebox can be found at prices that would be much cheaper than any conversion set.

One thing to watch out for is how much a new Victor may sell for ! Looking at the price of Airfix Lancaster and Shackleton kits, don't expect a Victor to go for pocket money. Not that I see this as a problem, the price will be what it will be (assuming such a kit will be issued, something not confirmed yet), but I can already see the complaints...

Edited by Giorgio N

I'm building the Vulcan at the moment. It's riddled with thick flash, the bomb bay doors don't even vaguely fit, the fuselage halves are going to need some serious clamping, there's no detail at all in any of the kit gear bays or cockpit, and a full rescribe took me days, with several panels needing moving because they were inaccurately placed. I'd very happily take a new Vulcan.

But a new Victor would make me the happiest kid on the block! If it's a B.1 I think I will be beside myself at Telford...

• Like 2

I hope it is a (if they do one at all ) victor B1 as its a beautiful machine with plenty of variants even the K1 it offers an array of schemes.

If they do a B1 I think it's likely they will also do a B2.

Nice for the B1s to get some recognition everyone focuses on the Falklands and B2/K2 V's the B1s are significant but their history is glossed over they where successful machines and in hindsight I guess would have been better suited to low level having smaller wings.

They where the V Bombers the ones that caught everyones imagination and fear !

It's the area of history that I find most interesting.

Edited by robvulcan

I hope it is a victor B1 as its a beautiful machine with plenty of variants even the K1 it offers an array of schemes.

If they do a B1 I think it's likely they will also do a B2.

Nice for the B1s to get some recognition everyone focuses on the Falklands and B2/K2 V's the B1s are significant but their history is glossed over they where successful machines and in hindsight I guess would have been better suited to low level having smaller wings.

They where the V Bombers the ones that caught everyones imagination and fear !

It's the area of history that I find most interesting.

There's also the aesthetics of the things, I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder but the Mk.2 versions of both the Vulcan and Victor are better looking, more purposeful aircraft.

The Mk.1/1A's look a bit naiive and unfinished, the Mk.2's look like that's what they were always intended to look like.

Whilst a Victor B.1 would be nice, I'd be far happier with a B.2/SR.2/K.2

Wez

• Like 3

There's also the aesthetics of the things, I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder but the Mk.2 versions of both the Vulcan and Victor are better looking, more purposeful aircraft.

The Mk.1/1A's look a bit naiive and unfinished, the Mk.2's look like that's what they were always intended to look like.

Whilst a Victor B.1 would be nice, I'd be far happier with a B.2/SR.2/K.2

Wez

I personally love them all but I find the opposite of you I think the early B1 and early B2 V's looked sleak and complete with more mystique with everything hidden inside. The later adornments of slipper tanks ECM cones and lumps and bumbs making them have a totally different feel but just as interesting.

However I see Vulcan and Victor B1s as totally different aircraft to B2s because they were so particularly the Vulcan nearly everything from the Nose back was unique except the tail.

I love variety. We have lots of everything else with every mark spits f-16 etc im all up for any V Bomber or British type to be honest.

A Belfast and Hastings would tickle my pickle for sure haha :)

Edited by robvulcan
  • Like 2

Just to clarify, the photo chosen for the aforementioned yearbook shows the B.2 prototype XH668 (or at least it does as far as I can squint from a tiny advert! so read into that what you will. I'm off to bed!