1/72 fieldworks - some advice needed

adt70hk

Evening all

As some of you may have seen from my previous posts, I’ve come back to the hobby after long break and do very simplified 1/72 WW2 war-gaming with my young son.

Whilst we’ve now got enough AFVs etc. for the small scale battles we play, we have absolutely no buildings or scenery of any sort and so have to improvise a lot with books, DVD cases, childrens’ building blocks etc.

Then I came across this excellent blog http://gregswargamingblog.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Flak%20Nest and then shortly after, this post http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234985371-desperate-defense/ on one of the Diorama forums, so I decided to have a go at making my own ‘scenery’ for the very first time.

I decided that I would make two, fairly generic, sets of fieldworks that could serve several purposes for the small scale battles we have e.g. mortar or artillery emplacements, oversized trenches, somewhere for my 88 to sit or even a hull down location for tanks.

As I’m on a tight budget and this was my first attempt, I used materials I found at home rather spend out on stuff I might never use again.

I’m now at the point where I’m reasonably happy with the main ‘structure’ – log walls, piled up earth and boardwalks. I’ve also thought about adding things like sandbags and barbed wire at the front, along with crates, boxes and tarpaulins scattered around the rear to make it look ‘lived in’.

However, I would like your input/advice on how to finish them off, in particular I’m interested in reasonably realistic but cheap ways of finishing the ground off and what colours make for realistic mud, earth etc. For example, I’ve seen some creative uses of sawdust, polyfilla and even real life earth to finish things off. So far my building has cost me nothing but my time so, I’d like to keep it as low as possible!

I fully realise that these are nowhere near up to the standard of dio’s on here but if I don’t ask I’ll never learn (to paraphrase my headmaster).

All comments, observations and constructive criticisms welcome!!

Thanks in advance for any advice you do have.

Regards

Andrew

PS Apologies for the iffy lighting on the later shots.

PPS Thanks to Greg and HL-10 for the inspiration. Greg yours is a great little blog!

------------------------------------------------------------------------

My building materials

As I said all found at home.

fworks_01_materials_ul_zpshgqfef7l.jpg

Laying out and planning the base

The idea was to get the planks off the ‘earth’ a bit.

The coffee stirrer ‘planks’ were given to me by the manager at my local Costa. She didn’t bat an eyelid when I asked if I could have some for modelling and promptly handed well over 100 for free.

fworks_02_baseplanks_ul_zpsi2bovw3i.jpg

Finished log walls and boardwalks

The walls are made from a combination of matchsticks, bbq skewers and coffee stirrers. The only structural supports are the upright matchsticks, everything else is ‘decorative’.

If I’d thought a bit more about it beforehand, I’d have added more supports underneath the floor board so I could make the ‘plank’ placement more random. Also the ‘planks’ are almost certainly too wide – equating to about 12” at this scale – but the thought of slicing them in half was too much just for war-gaming....sorry

fworks_03_fencing1_rear_ul_zpsoc2xbtvp.j

fworks_04_fencing1_front_ul_zpsrobjtcdl.

fworks_07_fencing2_nobw_closeup2_ul_zpss

Piled up ‘earth’

Having nothing better to use, I resorted to good old fashioned papier-mâché. I know it's probably very old fashioned but I could make it at no expense.

Once it’s dried I might cover it in a couple of layers of tissue paper glued down with PVA glue just in case some of the smaller pieces come adrift.

fworks_09_fencing_front_ground_ul_zpsxse

fworks_11_fencing1_side_closeup_ul_zpshw

• Like 4

An old recipe which I still use for ground work is; PVA glue, water, sand and acrylic paint. For paint I use Humbrol 26 Khaki, or 29 Dark Earth.

I use 'Weather Proof' PVA as when its dry its mildly resistant to dissolving in water again - important if one wants to over paint the ground work with acrylic paints again.

Mix the ingredients, thinning to flavour with the water. If its thin, apply with an old or cheap paint brush, or if its thick apply with a spatula.

I apply burnt umber and terracota very wetly to the ground work to give variation.

This was covered in that groundwork. The darker areas are burnt umber applied very wet.

c9199cc5f7504403af7f5d80182bca9f.jpg

With trees and grass added; trees are just twigs found near some trees, grass is 'static' grass, and a couple of small bushes I bought years ago.

The white is artists Acrylic Medium used as thick glue. It dries clear.

cc7ce2452300f733b841b71aa174ec6a.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Andrew

Great work here! I like the fact that you mixed up the materials, the match sticks, skewers and coffee sticks. Let me add to that if you can get some corrugated card from the craft store it can be cut into sheets to simulate sheets of zink roofing. I too came to that conclusion that splitting the coffee sticks is just to much work. At a war gaming distance it works fine. I also like the fact that you raized the foor off the ground, now you can break a board here and there and have then pointing inward.

Another tip and I can't believe I don't have it on my blog yet! is gauze bandage dipped in diluted brown or green paint and rolled up and drapped over the edge to simulate camo netting.

@ Mitch some nice stuff on you Blog!!

Cheers

GReg

• Like 1

All

Thanks for taking the time to comment and the suggestions.

Black Night

It looks like I might be raiding the kids play sand and using even more of their PVA glue. ;) I've also got a small stash of saw dust that I might add to the mix for a bit of variation.

Mitch - as GReg said some nice stuff on there. Thanks for the link.

Hi Andrew

Great work here! I like the fact that you mixed up the materials, the match sticks, skewers and coffee sticks. Let me add to that if you can get some corrugated card from the craft store it can be cut into sheets to simulate sheets of zink roofing. I too came to that conclusion that splitting the coffee sticks is just to much work. At a war gaming distance it works fine. I also like the fact that you raized the foor off the ground, now you can break a board here and there and have then pointing inward.

Another tip and I can't believe I don't have it on my blog yet! is gauze bandage dipped in diluted brown or green paint and rolled up and drapped over the edge to simulate camo netting.

@ Mitch some nice stuff on you Blog!!

Cheers

GReg

GReg - thanks as always for the advice and taking the time to have a look at my post. Someone else on the forum has also suggested the bandage solution which I might have a go at.

If anyone out there is new to 1/72 then Greg has a great blog http://gregswargamingblog.blogspot.co.uk/

• Like 1

Had another thought: Games Workshop (hawk! spit!) produced a book called "Building Wargame Terrain". If you can pick a copy up cheaply it's worth the money - it's fairly generic, with lots of generally useful stuff like ponds, caves, woods, hedges and the like and isn't too sci fi/fantasy oriented.

Had another thought: Games Workshop (hawk! spit!) produced a book called "Building Wargame Terrain". If you can pick a copy up cheaply it's worth the money - it's fairly generic, with lots of generally useful stuff like ponds, caves, woods, hedges and the like and isn't too sci fi/fantasy oriented.

Mitch

Thanks for the tip! I've found a copy for free - some enterprising chap has scanned the book in an uploaded it to the web - not that I'm condoning breach of copyright :nono:

Edited by adt70hk
  • Like 4

He's a nice wee Scot who loves rugby and charges £5 for a hair cut and shave.

All the magazines are rugby ones.

Except the ones about building wargames terrain, of course. :D

The fact that you can get a haircut for £5 and I have to pay £7.50 in Ryedale lends credence to the theory that a Yorkshireman is a Scot with all the generosity squeezed out of him...

All

Ok, so I managed to do some more work last week and over the weekend. Below are some more pics of the latest progress.

Added a layer of tissue paper

I used this as a base to apply things to and make sure the papier-mache stayed in place, it also made the base less smooth in the event I missed a bit when adding the earth effect - but I suspect it wasn't necessary.

Added some 'earth'

I experimented a bit following the advice above and ended up using a fairly sloppy mix of water, PVA, pet sawdust and sand.

It almost worked but still looked a bit too 'sawdusty' (is that a word??). So I gave it a generous layer of 50/50 PVA and water to mat it together more and then followed up with a generous sprinkling of sand.

The sawdust though had to be shredded a bit to reduce the size. Queue my ever-loving and patient wife's Moulinex food mixer - and yes she does know - and no I won't be using it again...... :oops: . I think a trip to Argos for cheap one is on the horizon.

All in all though I think the general effect looks quite good..... :thumbsup:

Put some barbed wire on

In the end I settled for JBARB barbed wire, it's cheap, easy to work with and looks ok from a war-gaming distance. I was going to try making my own but ran out of patience in trying to find the right bits and pieces. :sorry:. This is how it should be done http://gregswargamingblog.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Barbwire.

The lived in look

I've added some stowage and 'tissue paper' tarpaulins to give it that lived in look - and no the tarps won't be staying orange!!

Coming up next......

• Spray paint the whole thing matt black - mainly because of the wood effect I want to achieve and to make the hard reach places look dark/dirty but also to protect the 'earth' effect - I used standard PVA glue and will be using acrylic paints
  • Paint it and bit of grass.

As always, all comments, observations and constructive criticisms welcome!! I will never learn otherwise.

Thanks again for your support so far.

Andrew

So here goes....

fworks_12_front_flock_bwire_ul_zpstfkwbs

fworks_13_front_bwire_ul_zpshbbjou7a.jpg

fworks_18_front_along_wire_ul_zpsnjnwnsk

fworks_14_lhcorner_tarp_stowage_ul_zpsj7

fworks_17_rhcorner_tptarps_ohead_ul_zpsx

fworks_16_rhcorner_rvrs_tarp_ul_zpsdxjhq

fworks_19_front_88_ul_zps8ipv9oze.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Andy. I agree with Black Knight - black would be a bit too stark. A darker shade of brown would be a good base for putting something like Dark Earth over on the actual earth areas. I know some people paint the areas, where grass is going to go, green but I always use washes of Humbrol's Dark Earth (to try and get different shades) but I usually do it over filler. I then sprinkle scatter materials (from companies like Woodland Scenics or Greenscene) over areas I have coated with watered down PVA. I try to leave some areas without scatter materials so the earth colours show through. If you are intending to make your own scatter materials I know some people have used fine sawdust which they have died different shades of green. It's often better to use a mix of different shades to give a more natural appearance. In some areas I use course turf to give the impression of more overgrown areas.

I think what you have done so far looks great and I'm looking forward to seeing the next steps.

Kind regards,

Stix

One of the DIY sheds used to do match pots of what they called "soft black" emulsion. "Soft black" is about what we here would call Panzer grey and this was superb for undercoating terrain pieces. It gave a really good, deep contrast which provided a great sense of depth without being too stark.

Don't spray it black. Thats too stark. Use burnt umber, or a dark shade of brown.

Hi Andy. I agree with Black Knight - black would be a bit too stark. A darker shade of brown would be a good base for putting something like Dark Earth over on the actual earth areas. I know some people paint the areas, where grass is going to go, green but I always use washes of Humbrol's Dark Earth (to try and get different shades) but I usually do it over filler.

Kind regards,

Stix

Stix, Black Night

Thanks for the input.

I've already had a go at making some dawdust grass with some food dye after seeing this http://gregswargamingblog.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Flock which has worked pretty well as the dye has not taken consistenly across the mix.

One of the DIY sheds used to do match pots of what they called "soft black" emulsion. "Soft black" is about what we here would call Panzer grey and this was superb for undercoating terrain pieces. It gave a really good, deep contrast which provided a great sense of depth without being too stark.

Mitch - the contrast depth is what I'm aiming for, so it looks like the wallet might be a little bit lighter pretty soon.

Thanks again

Andrew

• Like 1

No worries Andrew. Matchpots are a great source of colours for terrain work. I've got a load of different pots for this kind of work. One I use quite a bit was a pot of dark dirt brown: mixed with PVA and soft sand it gives good service as a base for grassed areas. What I can't fathom is who the hell would buy it to use on their house!

Dude, you really need to invest in an airbrush, if it helps you get started with it I may have one laying about you can have, you'll just need a hose and an air can to get started then.

You'll then be able to do selective colouring in different areas, PM me if your interested.

• Like 1

Hi all

Firstly, thanks for all the advice and input so far, it's been a great help.

I had a go over the weekend adding some 'sandbags' made from Milliput. I've also been advised eslewhere on here (http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234990569-172-scale-ammo-and-crew-lloyd-carriers-plus-6-pounder-at-gun/) that mixing milliput and green stuff works very well.

However, as this was my first time ever using modelling putty I decided to keep it simple and stick to milliput - I also had a bit of a practice on bluetac first (please try not to laugh)......

No doubt some of the bags are too big, too small, too long, too wide or have some odd marks and most are probably too regular in shape. Some are also possibly on the verge of defying gravity but on the whole I'm quite pleased with the effect considering it was first foray into the world of putty.

Thanks especially to Sgt Squarehead for the book on German Field Fortifications - I now realise how far mine were from the ideal!! but you live and learn.

Below are a few snaps - sorry for the quality but I took them mid battle, so had to take the pics in situ.

All comments and observations are welcome as usual!!

Thanks again.

Andrew

fworks_20_sbags1_ul_zpsftzmjm9m.jpg

fworks_21_sbags2_ul_zpsu2sznwjn.jpg

fworks_22_sbags3_ul_zpsherl8dim.jpg

fworks_23_sbags4_ul_zpsltixvsrf.jpg

• Like 1

With wargaming scenery there must always be a compromise between accuracy and useability.....What you have there looks very useable and with a few tweaks, I reckon you will hace some pretty convincing emplacements. :thumbsup:

Second what vindicareassassin said about an airbrush (& compressor).....They are a really good investment. :coolio: