"I can hold it!" (Bandai 1/72 X-wing, Red 6)

I had some free time and an X-wing in pieces so I decided to do a quick build of the most endearing Rebel pilot from Star Wars: Jek Porkins! This is supposed to be a for-fun project, but when the client that I did Luke's X-wing for caught wind of it, he told me he was interested in buying it. He has the Porkins statue from SDCC 2014 and wants to display the ship next to it. However, I haven't decided if I'm willing to part with it...

His color scheme has always been among my favorites and I think it's because it has similar colors to my favorite American football team, the Washington Redskins. Since this model was already disassembled, I went ahead and primed everything with some Tamiya Surface Primer from a rattle can. I preshaded everything with Tamiya German Grey (XF-63) and then gave the model a base coat using the same color I mixed for Luke's X-wing.

porkins.jpg

porkins2.jpg

porkins3.jpg

His paneling isn't as varied as Luke's, but it is still rather interesting and the dark red color is unique to his ship. The yellow is Vallejo Model Air Ochre (71.033) and the dark red is a 4:1 mix of Vallejo Model Air Hull Red (71.039) and Fire Red (71.084). I used AK Interactive Heavy Chipping Fluid for the scuff marks on those colors. The lighter red is a 10:1 mix of Tamiya Flat Red (XF-7) and Hull Red (XF-9). I used some masking fluid applied with a piece of torn foam for the chipping effects.

With the filter on this model, I used white spirits instead of turpenoid like last time. I let a piece of sprue soak in some white spirits all day and there seemed to be no ill effects so I went ahead and gave it a try. There are two coats of a filter made with 502 Abteilung German Ochre; the effect is obvious on the S-foil with the grey paneling, which was painted with Tamiya Royal Light Grey (XF-80). I added the grey panel just to give the model a little more variation.

porkins4.jpg

porkins5.jpg

After this dries for a day or so, I'll give everything a couple of coats of Future in preparation for more weathering!

Edited by ScootyPuffJunior
  • Like 1

Looking really good, Red 6 for sure has a really interesting and unique painting scheme

Thanks! I love the color scheme on Red 6, even though it's one of the simpler schemes (I guess that's the product of being a pyro model!).

looking good there - that's a shed loads worth of paint you've got in the background

Thanks mate! I have a drawer full of oil paint too and some overflow from my shelves as they're not large enough to hold everything. I'd really like to expand to some more brands like Gunze, but they aren't the easiest for me to source in the States.

This is a short updated, but I've started the gunk wash on Porkins' X-wing, using my favorite oil color, 502 Abteilung Starship Filth. In this picture, the bottom half of the fuselage has already had the oil paint applied and wiped awway while the top half has not, leaving a noticeable difference. After all of the parts are done they will be left to dry for a week or so and then will be given a matte varnish in preparation for more weathering. Gunk washes have quickly become one of my preferred methods of weathering. The dirty surface effect they create works very well with Star Wars ships and it really makes a nice base for the rest of the weathering.

porkins.jpg

• Like 1

Porkins is nearing completion! The oil paint has dried and now a couple of coats of matte varnish are drying on the model before I move on to discoloring the individual panels with different oil colors. I'm not sure what to do with the base at this moment, but I probably won't use the Death Star tile that came with the kit.

blogger-image-513002192.jpg

In other news, I have decided to sell this model the client that had commissioned me to build Luke's X-wing and TIE fighters. I had originally wanted to keep this model for myself, but he made an offer I couldn't refuse so I accepted it (though the fact that my living room TV went out on me and needs replacing also helped convince me to sell it!).

• 2 weeks later...

All of the oil and pigment weathering is complete! I used the same process on this ship that I did on Luke's: various oil paints for panel discoloration and pigments for streaks and blaster marks. I also picked up some small wood plaques from Hobby Lobby to serve as a base. They came in a two-pack and were pretty cheap. (Like $3 or so).

IMG_3507.JPG

IMG_3508.JPG

IMG_3509.JPG

I won't be using the plastic stand, that was just for demonstration purposes. I'm thinking of making the base gloss black with a red Starbird in the center and attacking the ship with a clear acrylic rod or a metal rod painted black.

base.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some better pictures:

porkins4.jpg

porkins3.jpg

porkins5.jpg

porkins2.jpg

I've already done one wooden base for the model, but I ended up ruining it and I haven't had time to go back to the store to buy a replacement yet. Also, it would seem that I didn't size that third picture properly (or I made the other three too small!).

• Like 4

Painting on Porkins' base is complete! I used Vallejo Model Color Flat Red for the Starbird and Mr. Color Flat Black (lacquer) for the black. I will let the paint on the base dry overnight and then give it a gloss lacquer for a smoother finish. I already have the acrylic rod cut to the proper length and then I will epoxy everything together.

porkinsbase.jpg

• Like 1