Canadiar CL-215

Leonl

Mines on my shelf, I've promised to finish it this year. I just lost the enthusiasm after the same sand fill repeat business.... But that's all done now, just needs engines installing, cowlings' and glazing. Looking good Leon, you don't see to many of these about so I'm glad your cracking on :)

• Like 1

Mines on my shelf, I've promised to finish it this year. I just lost the enthusiasm after the same sand fill repeat business.... But that's all done now, just needs engines installing, cowlings' and glazing. Looking good Leon, you don't see to many of these about so I'm glad your cracking on :)

Come on Radleigh you've done the hard work...

I just noticed some errant seam lines on the engines. Here we go again.... anyone seen those sanding sticks!!! AAAARRRRGHHH

F*(&%!!! aaarrrgggghhhhh

That's better.....

• 5 weeks later...

Right update time.... Sanding and seams are all done and primer on....

Time to replace those rivets. Now, let's be honest I am not, and never will be, a rivet counter. It's good for some but not me. The reason why I say this is so that I can manage any expectations. The 215 is a rivet heavy airframe but what I want to do is just replace the lost rivets with a showing/representation of what would be there. I know that what I have done is not truly accurate but it's enough with the time I'm willing to dedicate to the rivets....

So here we go...

image_zpsnaa4uzva.jpeg

Progressing...

image_zpspsmi33mm.jpeg

This is very time consuming....

image_zpsmkkfkuwe.jpeg

The underside

image_zpstkhmhtfv.jpeg

That's the rivets done, not exactly riveting stuff but I'm happy enough..

Now I've sprayed on some matt white and started the masking.... I used a length of cotton as a guide to get the line along the fuselage straight....

image_zpsh3szsnpn.jpeg

That's all for now. I'll finish up the masking and get the orange on soon enough.

Still a fair amount to do but I feel that I'm approaching the final leg....

Thanks all....

• Like 9

Superb build there, and great to see so much attention to getting it right and the detail for this kit.

I want to build one myself sometime.

If you need photo references of 282/283 I have loads in this album (plus other more detailed shots - just ask if needed), https://www.flickr.com/photos/56270329@N08/albums/72157632802332347

18712964170_7b0a9c0d8f_c.jpgCanadair CL-215 282 C-FAYN Buffalo Airways 16 Jun 15 by James Thomas, on Flickr

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 2

71chally, may I say that is an awesome photo! Taken at St Athan? The reason why I ask is the sky appears to be wrong colour and have something missing.... Rain and clouds!!!

In all seriousness, you have a very nice collection of photos which I'll definitely use as a reference.

Are you South Wales based?

Leon

• Like 1

I work at Saints.

Was lucky with the 215s as their arrival, test-flights and departure were all on glorious days, above was during one of the flight tests.

Looks like your build will do them justice!

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm wondering how well the rivets will stay on when painted and masked. Looks like a '215 to me. The Manitoba government has a few '215s for sale in good condition.

The rivets have coped well with the paint. They're stuck on pretty well so I am hoping that they'll survive!

A quick update I've finished the initial masking and get the orange on. It's a bit bright so I'll highlight a few areas to break up the colour a bit. I'm also considering misting some yellow over it to clam it down. I'm not sure if it would have the desired effect, any thoughts?

image_zpsblowalqo.jpeg

That's all for now..

Leon

• Like 4

Looks like it sat outside a lot, judging by the dull paint, at least from the photo. Maybe a slight yellow or whitend orange just on the topsides misted onoverall? Just a thought, I don't know if you want to weather it much.

A little lighting is needed I think as said above they were outside quite a bit so a little bit of white or a light grey miisted over should do the trick.

Does look good though and coming a long nicely.

Guy

• 1 month later...

Ok the sun is shining and I'm a happy man....

Finished the last part of the painting and removed the masking. No major issues or paint bleeds....

So here we have a sneak peek of where we're at now....

image_zpsgoykoch0.jpeg

image_zpsouoqijnb.jpeg

Thanks for looking....

• Like 15

Thanks for the comments, appreciated.

The next stage is to paint the frames around the windows. My references show them to have black frames and the area around the radiator intakes should be black too... Oh and I want to add some plumbing in the main gear bays...

Once done I reckon it'll be time for the decals, weathering and the sub assemblies....

• Like 1

wow you're making this model really come alive (but you're killing that brush), i'm sure it has to do more with your moddeling skills that the kit, but still it seems like heller kits will often turn into very realistic models.

lovely build!

• Like 1

wow you're making this model really come alive (but you're killing that brush), i'm sure it has to do more with your moddeling skills that the kit, but still it seems like heller kits will often turn into very realistic models.

lovely build!

I confirm that no brushes were harmed during the painting of this model....

Thanks for the comments...

"I counted all the rivets, but.".........

Just kidding

Great attention to detail.

Nice job on those lights.

And I really like the successful and colorful paintwork so far.

Starting to look a really super cool model.

I continue to follow your building process Leon.

Success!

Edited by Grover 27
  • Like 1

Some nice paint work there and great to hear no paint brushes were harmed!

Guy

Thanks for the comments.

I am currently working on the window and door frame outlines. I have had varying degrees of success but happy enough with how they look.

I'm away on hols soon, I'd like to get her ready for decals before I go...hmm we'll see.

I'll get some photos up before I go....

• Like 3