Canadiar CL-215

Leonl

Good progress the detailing looks great.

Guy

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

All,

Time for an update. The fuselage is coming on nicely. Seams are nearly sorted time to get the other major components ready to be built up ready for priming etc....

First job is to get the flame retardant tank installed an the vent/filler hose cut to length.

image_zpstvv33dsi.jpeg

Cut to length....

image_zpsvstgu50f.jpeg

The central fuselage section was a blank void. I decided that it would look better if it matched the rest of the fuselage. (Ha ha once it's closed it'll hardly be seen, why do we do this)! Completed section...

image_zpsi4ijsyq2.jpeg

Next up I thought I'd get some work done on the engines... This is how the basic kit engine would look ready to go in...

image_zpsuumbijem.jpeg

Firstly, I've installed the ignition ring...

image_zpsp05n0ack.jpeg

Next up I've added some push rods... These are made from painted poly rods. Installed and cut to length.

image_zpsoafys41i.jpeg

Then I've fitted the ignition harness and some other plumbing....

image_zpspycfovqd.jpeg

Put all together, repeat and voila!

image_zpskfy82lpo.jpeg

I'm quite happy with that....

Next up, I'll sort out the wing seams and close it all up ready for priming.... Thanks for reading..

Leon

• Like 7

Engines look loads better! :)

Agree with that.

The central fuselage section was a blank void. I decided that it would look better if it matched the rest of the fuselage. (Ha ha once it's closed it'll hardly be seen, why do we do this)!.......

Dunno - it's some sort of compulsion.........if you find a cure for it let me know :)

• Like 1

really nice work on the engines. If you don't mind me asking what did you use for the copper wire?

2 weeks till forest fire season starts here...hopefully don't see the -215's this year (as in no local forest fires)

foresterab

I tend to hoard any material that I come across that looks like it may be useful in future.... The copper wire used here came from the decorative wire around a bottle of Rioja... Shame to waste it!!

Dunno - it's some sort of compulsion.........if you find a cure for it let me know :)

Compulsion is the right word.... I think we've gone beyond any cure..... I only see insanity ahead.....but very detailed insanity! Oh the joy...

You did a really good job on those watertanks.

Also the interior and the engines.

Build mine in flying position on a stand. Not remembering if the balance is ok to prevent a tail-sitter.

If you use the wheels, please please check if additional nose weight is necessary.

However it is still al long way ahead, be aware of those sharp rivets on the surface. They are able to damage the transfers if you move them once placed on the surface

Put in exact position and don't replace them anymore is my advice.

Like your work so far, compliments.

Edit:

Just googled about those Archer rivets. Never heard before now.

I Also managed to lose a lot off rivets details on a Heller Nord 2501 Noratlas.

So thanks for mentioning.

And found this instruction on you tube, maybe it is helpful.

Edited by Grover 27
  • Like 1

My former boss used to fly "Tanker 282" when it was in the Government Flying Services of Newfoundland and Labrador. It was usually based in Gander. The paint scheme was (and still is) known as "Peas and Carrots".

I have had Tanker 282 drop right in front of me on the taxiway in Gander, quite the sight I'll say. oh and no gravel left either. not even in the ditch...

Oh and by the way, FANTASTIC craftsmanship!

Cheers

H.

Edited by Winnie
  • Like 1

You did a really good job on those watertanks.

Also the interior and the engines.

Build mine in flying position on a stand. Not remembering if the balance is ok to prevent a tail-sitter.

If you use the wheels, please please check if additional nose weight is necessary.

However it is still al long way ahead, be aware of those sharp rivets on the surface. They are able to damage the transfers if you move them once placed on the surface

Put in exact position and don't replace them anymore is my advice.

Like your work so far, compliments.

Edit:

Just googled about those Archer rivets. Never heard before now.

I Also managed to lose a lot off rivets details on a Heller Nord 2501 Noratlas.

So thanks for mentioning.

And found this instruction on you tube, maybe it is helpful.

Thanks Grover 27 for the heads up, there is no doubt that she will be a tail sitter. However, I have a stack of weight ready to go in. I will also use white metal landing gear to cope with the additional weight.

I had not considered the possible decal damage due to the raised rivets, I'll certainly bear that in mind - thanks again.

My former boss used to fly "Tanker 282" when it was in the Government Flying Services of Newfoundland and Labrador. It was usually based in Gander. The paint scheme was (and still is) known as "Peas and Carrots".

I have had Tanker 282 drop right in front of me on the taxiway in Gander, quite the sight I'll say. oh and no gravel left either. not even in the ditch...

Oh and by the way, FANTASTIC craftsmanship!

Cheers

H.

I have seen pictures of her in Newfoundland livery. It seems that the Buffalo boys have painted over it and applied the Buffalo Airways insignia. Some photos show the painted area as being prominent. Hopefully I'll capture this on the model.

I am bit jealous, even though she has recently been at St Athan (less than 10 miles from where I am sitting), I have not been lucky enough to her fly. It is such a good looking aircraft IMHO anyway!!

Thanks everyone for the comments....

Leon

• 4 weeks later...

I have a few minutes free so I thought I would post a quick update...

When test fitting the wings I found that I could see into the wing void, now that wouldn't do so I fitted some 'tabs' to blank off the gap. It's done the job...

image_zpsdei5x4b2.jpeg

Then time to fit the leading edge lights. Firstly I marked up the locations and started to cut into the wing leading edges...

image_zpsr1cjkjpk.jpeg

Then I tidied up the opening...

image_zpsaxy1dh1l.jpeg

And repeat

image_zpso3rji0ed.jpeg

I decided that the best way to do the lights would be to cut some acrylic rod in half...

image_zpsqw0bjsh0.jpeg

Polished then drilled into the rear face and painted the bulb silver. Then painted the rear and side faces nato black.

image_zps0bzabxrg.jpeg

Time to fix into the wing shaped and then sand/polish into shape....

image_zps6yum7aww.jpeg

And repeat...

image_zpspg5plphr.jpeg

Overall I'm very happy with how they have turned out...

I'm busy working on seems etc now... I won't share any pictures as I find the whole sand fill and repeat process the most arduous and tiresome part of any model.... That said it has to be done....

More some.... Hopefully with primer on and time to have fun with the Archers Rivets..

Cheers

Leon

• Like 7

Hi Leon,

Nice update I like how you have done the lights and good idea with the tabs in the wings.

Guy

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Only a quick update, though probably represents the majority of the work done so far! I have spent the time since the last update assembling the major components.

Now we have the wings, engines, tail-plane and canopy on... Then it was on with my favourite task filling and sanding the seams… I really struggle with this, not on a technical level but I really struggle to keep motivated through the endless fill, sand and repeat cycle... That said, needs must and time invested here is certainly is rewarded later...

At least she is beginning to look like a CL-215 now...

Here she is primed..

image_zpsziztqzdm.jpeg

image_zps0xlwuzco.jpeg

image_zpsjp1hmibx.jpeg

Just need to add the lost surface details with the aid of Archers and it's time to paint...

• Like 5

Hi Leoni,

I know what you mean about sanding , filling can be a bit repetitive but looking at what you have done it certainly has paid off, looking good.

Guy

• Like 1

Hi Leoni,

I know what you mean about sanding , filling can be a bit repetitive but looking at what you have done it certainly has paid off, looking good.

Guy

Thanks, it's all about the end result. I keep telling myself that!

Looking nice and tight. Pretty sure you've done a better job than I did on the seams.

Looking forward to the final product now

Cheers. Plenty of work left to do. Once the paint is on I need to add some plumbing in the wheel wells and scratch build the front access door and the water chute doors, then decals etc etc... (Bangs head on desk muttering)....

Thanks all,

Leon