Italeri Douglas C-47 - NASA 817

Eric Mc

With the Mercury-Atlas almost complete (and about time I hear you say), I have already decided on my next project. I wanted to get back to doing something more "normal", like an aeroplane. However, I want to stick to my current NASA theme so what better than a good old Gooney Bird. Both the NACA and NASA have used a number of these over the decdes but recently Xtradecal produced a lovely set of "unusual" DC-3/C-47s of which one featured on the sheet is NASA's 817. NASA used this particular C-47 up to 1984.

Although Airfix recently released a new tool DC-3/C-47 (which I have), I already had this older Italeri C-47 in the stash and decided to use it as the basis for the build. It's a decent enough kit so it should build up nicely.

Cg3A7grl.jpg

SYqIizWK.jpg

• Like 3

The one you have there is the re-boxed Esci kit, a better proposition than Italeri's own kit.

Matt.

Thanks for the clarification. I built the actual Italeri one back around 1980 (when it was new) and whilst a big improvement over the 1960s vintage Airfix one, the panel lines were way too exaggerated.

I am working on the new Airfix Dakota now. Have the Italeri AC-47 in the stash so will watch along.

Have fun as the fit of parts, especially on my example was not brilliant;

http://andykingsmodelblog.blogspot.co.uk/2015/08/airfix-c-47-wing-roots.html

The rest of the build is covered in my blog, I just gave up in the end as I was having issues with the paint as well :suicide:

Edited by Andy K

I have a new Airfix C-47 in the queue for just this scheme. It's on hold at present, because the kit came with a large air bubble in the windscreen and Airfix tells me that replacements are "out of stock". Says one of two things - either Airfix's QC is up to putty, and large numbers of kits are getting out with dud parts, or they need to give their stock management a good shake out. Either way, not a good look ...

The old Italeri kit isn't all that bad, although the surface detail is overdone. If you can get hold of a set of Airfix engines and cowls (lean on someone who's doing a Cyclone conversion, or a Dart or Basler) I'd use them - they're much better than the Italeri ones.

• 1 year later...

After a LONG delay I finally got around to commencing work on this project.

Progress so far -

Cabin windows inserted and masked and some initial priming

MXZ4eR3Q.jpg

Some internal detailing. Not much will be visible so no point in going over the top. Just a few seat belts added.

S1vAVdmc.jpg

hpQbfDv3.jpg

Main assembly completed. A bit of De Luxe filler used around wing roots and I've started boxing in the wing landing light recesses.

53ZLqFl4.jpg

Some smaller items have been painted and a wash added. I have started trying the new Valejo metallics and have been quite impressed. Although I have been a fan of Alclad (and still am), it looks to me that these Valejo acrylics are almost on the same level

I've added a wash made up of Johnson's Klear and Tamiya Black.

28bbMDzd.jpg

Edited by Eric Mc
  • Like 4

I see you didn't bother adding anything inside the cabin.

What is there supposed to be in a NASA C-47?

It sure looks good!

JR

59 minutes ago, jean said:

I see you didn't bother adding anything inside the cabin.

What is there supposed to be in a NASA C-47?

It sure looks good!

JR

I haven't a clue what the interior fit was. I'm sure it varied a lot depending on what they were using the aircraft for.

As it's all invisible, it's a bit academic.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...