RAF Mustang IV - reflector sight

Simon Cornes

Having clarified that the Mustang was fitted with a Sutton Q harness, was it also fitted with an RAF gunsight of the day, or was the American sight left installed? I could guess the RAF sight was fittted but I've just Googled the question and drawn a blank!

Thanks

Simon

Hi

Are you still talking about KH655/QVP? There is a reasonable quality a2a photo of this a/c that has been published several times in recent years. It does not look as if it is fitted with the Gyro Gunsight. All the early MkIVs were fitted with the American N9 gunsight.

KH655 was delivered at Dallas in August 1944 and the Gyro Gunsight was not introduced on the production line at Dallas until March 1945. The first RAF a/c with the GGS was KM493 and that and subsequent a/c were not toc by the RAF until the very end of April 1945 - most were delivered to India after the war. The RAF did have a modification to fit the GGS on MkIVs but the changes in the design of the windscreen and the instrument cowl suggest that it was a very radical/complicated job. As far as I know there are no photos of MkIVs earlier than KM493 that show the GGS.

Steve

• Like 1

Well Chris, I suspect that the Tamiya Mustang kit comes with a N-9 sight (never heard of it before mind you!) as it seems like all 'D' models were so equiped, hence that is why Quickboost don't do an N-9 but they do do the K-14 which was fitted to various types - according to Quickboost - presumably all late war marks.

Unfortunately I am renovating a built kit and the original gunsight is missing, hence acquiring the K-14s. As you say though, a piece of square section styrene with a bit of clear plastic on top will probably do the job!!

Simon

• Like 1

I am not a modeller so I am reluctant to intervene in these issues but it seems to me that a reasonable examination of the GGS against all its predecessors would show that it is a fairly large cube/box that is probably three times as large as the N-9 or any of the well known British gunsights.

The photograph is of KM237 PD-R which was a Mk IVa/P-51K, not a Mk IV/P-51/D, delivered to the squadron in September 1945. The majority of 303 Squadron's Mustangs were Mk IVas which were only fitted with N-9 gunsights. The K-14 was only fitted to Mk IV/P-51D.

According to 'Building the P-51 Mustang' author Michael O'Leary:

MCR C-429-3 Gun Sight - Installation of K-14 Computing

Installation of the K-14 gun sight became effective in production on and after airplanes P-51D-20-NT AAF 44-12853 and P-51D-20-NA AAF 44-72227.

MC is Modification Center, not sure what R is, possibly Reference.

Edited by 303sqn