1/72 Italeri F-5B Freedom Fighter as Turkish Stars NF-5B

nimrod54

Bit of patience John, like you say maybe work at it with water and dabbing it will reduce that strange effect. Otherwise...I always love complex masking...great work!

• Like 1

it's a shame about the mask as it scheme looks amazing!

I'm with everyone else on this, let the paint cure for a couple of days, it will make it less susceptible to damage. Then I would try a solution of warm water and a soft soap to start with....you maybe about to use dilute alcohol but I would be very careful though. You could also try using a rubber/eraser, it will act as a very soft abrasive and should remove any sticky material, but again only after the paint has cured. A light polish with 8000 grit microfibre pad will help restore a shine.

Whatever you do, just take your time, you should be able to sort it out without having to repaint.

• Like 1

You may have some success using WD40: I've successfully removed every type of residue without harming paintwork , including Tamiya tape that was wet with too much cellulose thinner to BMF glue. As always, try it on a small area first. BTW on canopies, it makes them sparkle like Future.

Anil

• Like 3

You may have some success using WD40: I've successfully removed every type of residue without harming paintwork , including Tamiya tape that was wet with too much cellulose thinner to BMF glue. As always, try it on a small area first. BTW on canopies, it makes them sparkle like Future.

Anil

Anil,

Many thanks for the WD40 tip, it has worked a treat.

I had tried rubbing some neat washing up liquid across the sticky areas using a cotton bud and then rinsing with water but I was finding that this method was spreading red into the white areas where I had burnished the edge of the tape. But the WD40 removed the sticky layer from the red and also where it had spread across to the white. The cotton bud did look quite red, but I assume that this was a reaction between glue and paint and the layers underneath were undamaged. Whilst there are still some spots that need further treatment and I will need to do some touch up and, fingers crossed, a rescue certainly looks more of a possibility now.

I think that I might try it on a canopy at some point too, but not on this one - I think this one has undergone enough experimentation.

• Like 1

Rich and Giorgio,

I'll post some photos later on, before I start to clean up the spots that I missed, that way you can see the results after an initial application of WD40.

Post edited to include photos.

​Shown in the photos are the same two areas highlighted at post #73. You can see that most of the residue has gone after an initial application. On the underside photo you can also see where some of the residue has contaminated the white areas, further investigation has shown that this is also removable using Anil's WD40 tip.

DSC00321_zpsq1adko9u.jpg

DSC00320_zpsjjcjtsoe.jpg

• Like 3

nimrod54, on 03 Feb 2016 - 7:06 PM, said:

Anil,

Many thanks for the WD40 tip, it has worked a treat.

I had tried rubbing some neat washing up liquid across the sticky areas using a cotton bud and then rinsing with water but I was finding that this method was spreading red into the white areas where I had burnished the edge of the tape. But the WD40 removed the sticky layer from the red and also where it had spread across to the white. The cotton bud did look quite red, but I assume that this was a reaction between glue and paint and the layers underneath were undamaged. Whilst there are still some spots that need further treatment and I will need to do some touch up and, fingers crossed, a rescue certainly looks more of a possibility now.

I think that I might try it on a canopy at some point too, but not on this one - I think this one has undergone enough experimentation.

My pleasure, but always test on the various paints you use , some are impervious some not. Now pray for me, I'm going back to my Hobbyboss F-5e and its grand canyon wing gaps...: :banghead:

Cheers

Anil

• Like 2

That's great that the WD40 trick worked, by the looks of it just some minor touch-up work to sort out.

I can see sales of WD40 climbing within the Britmodeller community....may have to buy some shares in it! ;)

• Like 1

Thanks for the reminder Anil. I had already given it a wash after the initial coat, but it is always good to have a reminder and I will be giving it a couple of good washes with some warm soapy water after the final clean-up. I hope that the Grand Canyon gap filling is going well.

Hi John,

your F-5 does really look smashing with such an intricate paint scheme. Congrats on your technique!

The doors of Hell must have cracked open in front of your eyes when you saw what the frisket did to your exacting paint job!!!! A relief that is was salvageable!!!

Almost finished then.

JR

Hi John,

your F-5 does really look smashing with such an intricate paint scheme. Congrats on your technique!

The doors of Hell must have cracked open in front of your eyes when you saw what the frisket did to your exacting paint job!!!! A relief that is was salvageable!!!

Almost finished then.

JR

Hi Jean,

Yes there was a bit of a moment when the masking came off, and I was tempted to test the aerodynamic qualities of a plastic F-5B minus its canopies. But the Britmodeller massive came to the rescue and provided a solution.

It amazes me how knowledgeable people are on here, that said I would have liked to have been there in person for that 'light-bulb moment' when someone decided to try WD40 to remove sticky patches from paintwork.

And the cause of this calamity? Well, on further investigation I've put that down to my own stupidity in the end. The Frisket quite clearly states that heat can affect the glue and yet, there was I merrily drying the paint over the top of a radiator. :banghead:

Solution.

ALWAYS READ THE INSTRUCTIONS........ oh yes, and how many of us do that? :lol:

• Like 2

Decals are on and the one advantage of spraying the red details has been that there aren't too many.

I've also painted the undercarriage and airbrake bays and after looking through the Turkish Stars reference photo's decided to go with grey. However, after looking for more photographs of the aircraft in question on Airliners.net earlier today, it appears as though they should be an aluminium colour, so it now looks like I will have to repaint those along with the main undercarriage legs and the nose leg which looks to be white.

DSC00335_zpsargpo7u5.jpg

DSC00336_zpspvb4yfal.jpg

DSC00337_zpstc8t9bjx.jpg

DSC00338_zpsyugvk4bd.jpg

I also have to make a couple of aerials that are quite prominent, one for under the nose and the other on top of the spine.

That should just about wrap things up for this build and I can't say that I won't be sorry to see this one finished. Construction went well but from starting to paint I seem to have had one problem after another, most of them being of my own making. The latest resulted in some paint creep on the inside of the canopies which led to me having to sand and polish it out - not brilliant but at least now they are passable.

Anyway, I hope to get it finished soon and thanks for stopping by.

• Like 5

This is where I'm at with this one. The seats are in and I have added the undercarriage plus a couple of the doors. I've also scratched the two aerials I spoke of in the previous post with the one under the nose requiring some red paint. Still lots to do, the pitot probe has to be made and painted, the remaining undercarriage doors have to go on, canopies to sort and a coat of varnish to seal everything in. Not sure whether to go with a gloss or satin varnish and any views would be gratefully received, my thinking being that this is a display aircraft so would be relatively clean and shiny, although I have found a shot of a very dirty 71-4017 here .

Bang seats in

DSC00345_zpsvlv6kusq.jpg

Scratched aerials fitted.

DSC00342_zpsbqd7aabv.jpg

DSC00341_zpslzg7nhd7.jpg

• Like 7

Cheers Rich. Doing my best to get it done bud, Just sprayed some red on the pitot and I will fit that at the end, brass tubing added for the smoke generator, three doors and the canopies to fit and then varnish.

Oops almost forgot the lights on the wings and tailplane have to be painted too.

• Like 1

It is indeed a fantastic looking model, love all these additions, additions that are even more noteworthy considering how small a 1/72 F-5 model is.

Regarding the finish, personally I'd go with a satin-gloss mix, less "toylike" than a fully gloss coat but shinier than a satin coat.

• Like 1

Thanks for your comments chaps, they are much appreciated.

I finally wrapped this up mid-afternoon, I then took it outside to photograph but, having bumped into a brass monkey looking for a welder on they way outside, I just took a couple before returning to the warmth. Anyway, just to whet your appetite, here they are and I will get more in the gallery when I have sorted them out.

DSC00350_zpslkhz8you.jpg

DSC00351_zpslss7uy7r.jpg

• Like 4