1/72 Italeri F-5B Freedom Fighter as Turkish Stars NF-5B

nimrod54

Love the solution for the pitot tube, hope you don't mind if I copy this for my own Turkish F-5..

Giorgio,

I have copied enough tips and ideas from modellers on here since joining the forum so I am only too pleased to be able to give something back. Go right ahead and copy away. :)

Did a bit more work on this today. I started by filling the locations for the pylons under the wings, there were a number of ejector pin marks around these and I filled those with cyano before giving them a quick clean up. Next up will be a dusting of primer to check them over to see if there are any gaps and I can see that a couple of the pin marks will need some further sanding down before I assemble them to the fuselage.

CIMG3622_zpskn7ongmk.jpg

After I had cleaned up the fuselage seams I temporarily fixed one of the engine exhausts in place so that I could determine the length of the smoke generator pipework. The next step was to fit some plastic rod to one end of the tube so that I could fair this end back into the fuselage later, the other end was set flush with the end of the engine exhaust. I will fit a smaller section of tube into this towards the end of the build and I can bend this into correct position in the exhaust.

Once I had glued this in position, using Tamiya Extra thin for the plastic and superglue for the brass rod, I removed the exhaust pipe for painting later.

CIMG3623_zps2fxrjaw0.jpg

CIMG3624_zpsv7wvhp2g.jpg

All of that needs a bit of a tidy up now and then I can see if I can add some of the detail between the exhausts.

• Like 4

There are some rather agricultural looking fittings on the back of these Turkish Stars aircraft and using some of the reference photos I have attempted to reproduce them. I started by making a small backplate to fit between the two exhausts and then, after glueing it in place I added the details. They are not 100% but will suffice, although I may revisit the one on top because it is the wrong shape.

CIMG3631_zpsmdtfucff.jpg

CIMG3630_zpsie1wldel.jpg

CIMG3632_zps3ddfupmg.jpg

• Like 6

Thank's for all of your kind comments guys. I did revisit the part on top just to the rear of the tail and made something more akin to the item that is actually there, so now this is what we have

CIMG3634_zpsqfbg6d2c.jpg

...and here is a link to a photo of what I have tried to recreate. Link1

• Like 2

Thanks again for all of your comments fellas. I am in the process of preparing the wings at the moment and after reading of Giorgio N's rippling upper surface issues I decided to check the condition of those in my kit, so it came as no surprise to find that these will also need sanding to even the surface up.

I am really enjoying this kit, and by checking the fit then making any minor adjustments needed it is going together nicely.

I have filled the ejector pin marks in the splitter plates and intakes then removed the lump where the leading edge extension location is moulded. After that I primed them with some white plastic primer then masked this off to leave the forward portion white and sprayed the rear section a light grey. When this had dried I brushed some black on the rear wall of the intake to give it some depth. The intake/splitter plates were then assembled and then fitted to the side of the fuselage taking care to line up the areas where the leading edge extensions fit

CIMG3637_zps0ajnysn2.jpg

CIMG3638_zpsvp6r2wix.jpg

The wings needed further work to reduce the rippling on the top and also where I had previously filled the slots for the pylons. Panel lines were restored and these have also now been fitted to the fuselage.

CIMG3636_zpslli4xkp7.jpg

Just a tidy up of the joins and then I want to look at the tailplanes, I want to look at the possibility of removing the tabs and replacing them with some tubing so that they move together. I have also sourced some 'Coke Bottle' tip tanks and they are on their way from 'Oz', hopefully these will be an improvement.

• Like 2

Looking very good, wish I could build something that neatly! Surfacer everywhere on mine at the moment :doh: . Reading your post you say new coke bottle tanks were found, are the kit oob ones inaccurate?

Cheers,

David.

Thanks David. It makes a change for me not to be slapping filler around, just down to a combination of the kit and me taking some time to check the fit before hitting the glue bottle - not my usual way, I generally can't wait to get things together. :winkgrin:

As for the coke bottle tanks, I am sure that the kit ones are more than up to the job but, being a bit of a lazy modeller, I like to take the odd shortcut - refer to the above about my usual way :lol: . I just hope that the replacement parts are worth it, but whether I use the resin or the kit parts I think that I will probably add some clear plastic to form the light on the nose of the tank.

Cheers again

• Like 1

I really dislike the "putty, sand, repeat" stage of model building, and this discussion makes me think that this may be one reason I've gotten more careful about (whenever possible) getting a good alignment/fit of parts during assembly. It also (theoretically) saves a lot of surgical reconstruction of surface detail, assuming that one bothers in the first place!

Of course, every time I make a ding cleaning up a sprue point, I think, "Oh, whatever- a little filler will take care of that."

Giorgio just put up a link to some walkarounds, and there's a Turkish F-5B with a good shot of your agricultural back end apparatus, should you (or someone else) still be looking for such things.

bob

• Like 1