1/72 Italeri F-5B Freedom Fighter as Turkish Stars NF-5B

nimrod54

The GB's I signed up to are coming up thick and fast now. I have just finished the BoB GB and this one starts, as a result I will be juggling my time between this, KUTA VIII and the Meteor GB and I will hopefully complete them all before or shortly after the P-47 GB early next year.

So here is my entry for this GB

CIMG3543_zpsi7inqsji.jpg

CIMG3545_zpsgynzhz95.jpg

CIMG3544_zpsve6pfhap.jpg

• Like 6

Welcome aboard and another colourful colour scheme.

It looks great and it should be a very pretty aircraft when finished.

Well good luck with the build and hopefully it will be a nice trouble free one.

• Like 1

Good subject! I´ll be :popcorn: this one because I saw them perform brilliantly last summer. Would´ve liked to participate in this GB and do one myself but it appears I´m not a jet builder and it´s better to stick with propellered things! Regards, V-P

• Like 1

Made a start earlier this afternoon, the fuselage is split into forward and rear sections for port and starboard and to ease assembly I like to join these to create two halves. That way I can be sure that the forward/rear sections need the minimum amount of sanding to give a good join.

CIMG3599_zpsubystxex.jpg

CIMG3600_zpst4aadqgh.jpg

CIMG3601_zpsfwfbswj9.jpg

These have now been set aside to dry. Next the seats were assembled with one requiring a small shim at the headrest, the detail is adeqate but I may have a look to see if I can find something better later.

CIMG3603_zpszi2kyf7g.jpg

• Like 4

If you need new seats, True Details has a set including two seats that is quite good and cheap. The Esci seat are not bad as a basis, but the resin ones are better

I have actually just taken delivery of a set of 1/72 True details seats along with a single Pavla offering so let me know if you would like to see photos etc

Thanks for the info guys. I checked Hannants site last night and the True Details seats are out of stock so ordered two made by Pavla.

• Like 1

This looks interesting, was looking at pics of these at the weekend. My brother was lucky enough to go to Turkey for the tiger meet this year and had some pics of the Turkish Stars too.

• Like 1

Thanks Patrice, my order turned up this afternoon, but I have to order another seat because like a numpty (idiot) I forgot that the Pavla seats are sold as singles :banghead: . It won't slow me down though because I will fit them later.

When you order the seat I think you should order a 1/72 Hercules and the Turkish Stars decals for said Hercules as that would be an awesome diorama

Great idea Skids just a couple of things that would stop me

1) We live in a 2 bedroom bungalow so limited on space

and probably the main reason

2) Mrs Nimrod. :ninja:

• Like 3

hmmm...how do you hide a 1/72 Hercules from SHMBO!!! :fight:

:hmmm:

It will be good to see what the pit looks like with the new seats.

The extra seat is on the way so I should be able to get on with them soon. Looking at photos of the aircraft, the seats seem pretty basic and so to be honest the kit ones would be adequate in this scale when cleaned up, painted and with the decal harness added.

I was able to get the decals on the IP's and tub earlier, they have been set aside to dry before I add a coat of varnish to seal them in.

CIMG3605_zpsyqxxyd5i.jpg

CIMG3606_zpsfi0z3qyq.jpg

CIMG3604_zpsam7rvr0s.jpg

The tub needs a bit more work yet, the kit paint instructions call for a dark area behind the instrument panels so I will do that when I have added them and checked references to see if they are needed.

After a stash check a couple of weeks ago I stumbled across this

CIMG3607_zpss6xajq8b.jpg

and so purchased this when I was at Telford last weekend.

CIMG3608_zpsx4ylnyha.jpg

So if I get the time before the end of the group build, and providing I can complete some of the other projects I have going before the end of the year, I may try and put this together as the boxed version.

• Like 3

I have just got the same 1/144 F5.

More chuffing white paint!!!!

Any ideas on which Red your going to use?

H, I generally use Tamiya Italian Red from a rattle can for the red areas on a lot of my builds but I have been using Humbrol 19 too. I'll pull the decals out later and check them against some of my other builds to see how good a match it is.

• Like 1

Great idea Skids just a couple of things that would stop me

1) We live in a 2 bedroom bungalow so limited on space

and probably the main reason

2) Mrs Nimrod. :ninja:

2 very good reasons.

• Like 1

I have just got the same 1/144 F5.

More chuffing white paint!!!!

Any ideas on which Red your going to use?

H

I have done a quick check of Humbrol and Tamiya reds by comparing a couple of models. The Lightning was painted with one of new acrylic sprays from Humbrol - Gloss Red (19) - and the BEA Viscount was a Tamiya aerosol - Italian Red (TS-8). There is not a lot of difference between them, maybe the Humbrol one is a bit brighter. For me the Humbrol colour is probably the closer match, but I would be happy to use either colour when compared to the Patrouille Suisse decals.

The photos were taken in natural light earlier this morning, HTH.

Lightning - Humbrol Gloss Red (19)

CIMG3609_zps2y9mi0dt.jpg

Viscount - Tamiya Italian Red (TS-8)

CIMG3610_zpszyez8kvr.jpg

• Like 1

Got the fuselage halves together today, and I've added a bulkhead behind the front seat to stop the guy in the rear from having a draft blowing up his Khyber Pass.

CIMG3616_zpstxxbgcap.jpg

CIMG3617_zpsthj3vuy2.jpg

I then glued a short piece of brass tubing into the nose for when I add the pointy bit later, don't worry it will be a bit shorter than shown in the second photo - that's just to check that things lined up properly.

CIMG3618_zps735eumqe.jpg

CIMG3619_zpsozrqfbth.jpg

Going to allow things to set up properly before I tidy the seams up.

• Like 6