1/72 RAF Hercules

dwh

I am wishing to model a early version of the C-130 Hercules when serving with RAF in Sand/Brown scheme.

My question is what would be the best kit to obtain for modelling such aircraft, I have oportunity to purchase a Airfix 1970's boxing at good price, is this the best kit?

Any help/recommendations appreciated

Derek

• Like 1

Same here, I'd say the ancient Airfix kit is the way to go, its fuselage cross section and nose geometry is better than Italeri's.

The Italeri kit, however is better moulded and detailed (still raised, but more and better details).

To me, it's still all the way Airfix.

Btw, very nice camo you plan doing, great choice !

• Like 1

The Heller Coast Guard ref. 80385 is the Italeri kit reboxed.

I forgot to add that Airfix also played this game of reboxing other's kits and their ref. 09003 (GB, Sweden, Australia and New Zealand decals) is in fact also the Italeri kit.

Mind you, the Italian kit is not a bad one, it actually looks more modern, better moulded but if I can choose between the Airfix or the Italeri, I'll go the 1st anytime as its fuselage cross section features a more pronounced "chin" at floor level and the windshield geometry is more accurate.

The ESCI is another mould, not related to the Airfix and Italeri ones. It's fully recessed, feature a large 1 piece canopy that's too curvy (IRL the windshield is made of flat panes, faceted). Italeri reboxed it, ref. 1310, AC-130H Spectre.

Basically, if you're after something that looks like a Hercules, all kits will fit the bill. If you're after a pleasant build, enjoy perfectly moulded plastic, reasonable detail level, beautifully printed decals on the recent rereleases, I'd suggest the Italeri kit.

If you prefer a slightly more accurate kit OOB but are ready to endure more flashes, thicker trailing edges and inferior clear parts, go the Airfix route.

I can't suggest the ESCI kit, I really don't like it.

BTW what can you say - at least shapewise - about Heller and ESCI C-130s ?

BTW what can you say - at least shapewise - about Heller and ESCI C-130s ?

The Heller kit is the Italeri kit. The Academy kit with ROKAF decals is also from Italeri. ESCI´s C-130 is awful.

Brgds Dave

Thanks for the info guys, I have now obtained the Airfix kit, would someone enlighten me as to what exactly is wrong with the engines/nacelles please.

Derek

From memory they are a little short and the shape is a little suspect.Am a little suspect at where they join onto the wing on the outboard pair too.i think they are a little high.

Edited by fatalbert

You can get the engines from Flightpath as Italeri also got theirs wrong by basing their tooling on their AC-130A gunship. Watch you get the right engines and not the C-130J ones as these are completely different. Watch the nose glazing panels they don't really fit flush and give a sunken appearence with the Airfix kit

I take it you are using the Airdecal sheets for the markings rather than the original kit decals if you have an early boxing of the Airfix kit ?

You can get the engines from Flightpath as Italeri also got theirs wrong by basing their tooling on their AC-130A gunship. Watch you get the right engines and not the C-130J ones as these are completely different. Watch the nose glazing panels they don't really fit flush and give a sunken appearence with the Airfix kit

I take it you are using the Airdecal sheets for the markings rather than the original kit decals if you have an early boxing of the Airfix kit ?

Geoff_B

Thanks for the info re engines, I did see the Flightpath engines, will order them, Noted are details to watch out for, and yes I will be using the Airdecals from the stash.

Again Many Thanks.

Any other tips would be appreciated.

Derek

I have several sets of the Heritage Allison T56-15 motors for my (4) future builds of 'Albert' (C1, C3, Snoopy, and a 1312 Flt Tanker).

You will need a certain amount of work to blend them in to the Airfix parts. From memory the Airfix inboards are set too high and the fairings on the wing upper surfce are somewhat suspect - there should be a small fairing on the outboards and virtaually no fairing on the inboards.

The jet exhausts are also poor but can be replaced with resin ones by Ozmods.

The forward lower Flight Deck windows are wrong being set at an angle when they should be vertical (Italieri got this wrong too).

Finally the Airfix props are nothing like the Hamilton-Standards fitted to the Allison T56-15 being short in span, too narrow in chord and un-prototypically tapered in plan.

It's worth noting that the C130K used by the RAF were somewhat unique in that they were sort of half-way between the C130E and C130H. They had the Allison T56-15 of the H model (as well as the later style wing shoulder joints) but lacked the APU, retaining the GTC (Gas Turbine Compressor) and ATM (Air Turbine Motor ie an air driven generator) of the E model housed in the forward part of the port main wheel bay.

Additionally the RAF Alberts had a completely different freight bay floor from the US aircraft - the tie down scheme is totally different since it was designed to allow carriage of the MSP/HSP (Medium Stressed Platform / Heavy Stressed Platform) inherited from the Beverly for airdrop purposes. The upshot of this is that you will need to take care if you decide to model the aircraft with the ramp and door open. None of the after market PE for the ramp is correct in this respect for a RAF Albert.

• Like 5

The ramp is also missing the small fairings (elephants ears) on either side.these are where the ramp actuators connect to the ramp.I have a long stalled kit in the loft .I may have to dig it out and have another look at it.

A couple of very minor idiosyncracies of the original Airfix kit: it lacked the flight engineer's seat and also included small cuboid structures, one on each side of the lower part of the nose.

This resulted from giving the Airfix team two days of access to a C-130K undergoing maintainance at Lyneham: the flight engineer's seat was out of the aircraft at the time, and the forward-mounted jacking pads were fitted and mistaken for part of the airframe.

• Like 1

All kits lack the pad under the rear of the ramp that spreads the load when the ramp is lowered. Viewed from the side it has a shallow triangular section and from below it's rectangular with the forward corners cut off.

On RAF Alberts there is also a T shaped piece of timber bolted onto the pad.

A couple of very minor idiosyncracies of the original Airfix kit: it lacked the flight engineer's seat [snip].

This resulted from giving the Airfix team two days of access to a C-130K undergoing maintainance at Lyneham: the flight engineer's seat was out of the aircraft at the time,

Yet, strangely, Italieri supplied two seats at the Nav station which no RAF Albert ever had.