Vulcan fans, please gather round

Flanker37

Can anyone tell me if me, if any additional markings have been added to XH558 in this, her final airshow season. I cant be sure, i thought i saw some at RIAT.

The reason i ask, is if there are additional markings, i need photos of them. I've been in touch with David Hannant and he's says that although airfix has exclusive rights to produce decals of 558 from the trust. Hannants could produce the additional markings

Airfix's decal sheet was produced in 2010

Do you have photos of the additional markings we could see, it might be possible with the agreement of Airfix to put them on an Update sheet that is at present in preparation.

Regards,

David Hannant

• Like 1

Judging from the "new" box top sporting a photo of the real thing, the only thing that seems to be missing is the text "the spirit of Great Britain" in white on both sides of the nose and maybe the names Darth Vader mentions. I have taken a picture of XH558 at RIAT showing this text, but from some distance. If you're interested, send me a PM with your e-mail address.

BTW I have ordered the Airfix decals as I picked up a 1983 boxing (9 09002) of the kit at a Dutch modelling show last weekend. Even for early '80s standards, it's rather crude, but it's the only game in town. I'm thinking of scribing the panel lines using the raised lines as a guide. Does anyone know if these lines are more or less accurate?

Cheers,

Robert

They're not bad in many places, but the radome lines and first aid panels on the nose are way out, and the lines directly aft of the main gear bays are also a bit dodgy. Lastly, there are loads missing, eg on the underside behind the intakes.

I'm thinking of scribing the panel lines using the raised lines as a guide. Does anyone know if these lines are more or less accurate?
  • Like 1

Having just checked my pics from RIAT, aside from the "Spirit Of Great Britain" bit and the Airbus logos on the inside of the main u/c doors, there's all the names on the inside of the bomb bay doors, plus more corporate sponsors on the nose wheel doors (didn't get a great pic of this) Union Jack and Georges cross on the tail, the stuff on the crew hatch and a teddy and a monkey in the bomb aimers position.

22818877422_5a395d9117_z.jpg

22644407110_05ca2893eb_z.jpgVulcan RIAT 15-5

Pics here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/65471955@N03/albums/72157660913053485

Edited by BikingLampy

• 4 weeks later...

Not really Robert, I'm afraid I just spent hours poring over walkaround threads and piecing it all together! Finding good photos of tatty preserved examples (eg. XL319 as was for a long period) helps enormously as the panel joints tend to stand out...

This was one of the most helpful shots of XL319 I found, plenty on here not represented by Airfix...