Wallace and Gromit Anti Pesto Van

The finish of the paintwork wasn't too bad, there was a little bit of orange peel but to be honest I was amazed that I managed to get it to come out of the airbrush at all.

I don't want a highly glossed glass smooth finish to this anyway as it wouldn't really suit the look of a beaten up van. I just want a bit of a sheen so I had a quick once over with th micro mesh just to flatten it out a bit

Airfix curse of the wererabbit wip

If you zoom in you can see it's not perfect, but I'm an escapee from a secure facility not a bodywork expert

Masked the door card and sprayed with a similar colour mix to the seats. I say similar as I just couldn't get it exactly the same no matter how much I tried ( that's what mixing on the fly does ! )

Edited by Brundledonk

Didn't come out too bad after the tape was removed. I went back and touched up the handles with black after this but you'll have to take my word for it as I ddint take any pics

Then it was back in the spray booth with the bodyshell for a bit of post shading high jinks.

Just used tamiya smoke really highly thinned and gently built up the effect

No real method to how I did this, just stuck to recesses, around panels and where muck was likely to build up

Looks a bit odd bod and overdone at this stage but it should all work out in the end ( I know it did cos I finished it ages ago lol )

Edited by Brundledonk

I'm struggling to find anything witty to say about these pics so I'll leave a bit of a gap so you can add your own comments

Edit : 16/3/18

i honestly have no idea what 3 pictures I originally put here as the ones I have go from preshading to decals.

so here's some random ones of my builds from my Flickr account

a Dalek

1/12 dalek

Hasbro Baby Groot repaint for my daughter 

Hasbro baby groot repaint after

No introduction required

20140608_130838

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 1

Decal time ! It's ok folks it's nearly over and the drudgery will end

Now, I stuffed these first decals up a bit due to the water being too hot. The decals are quite thin and the excess heat caused them to shrivel a little bit, I just got away with it on the lettering but had a little bit of silvering. The remaining decals were OK as the water cooled down a bit

I trimmed away the excess clear portions

The result is ok but the carrier film is still a bit more visible than I'd like.

Door ones weren't too bad

Edited by Brundledonk

Getting close to finishing now

I mentioned at the beginning about the rust being a bit overdone and the possibility of doing something about it. In the end I decided to leave it as is and paint it in.

This is the start of the process.

Little rust spots and stuff added to the recessed panel ( near the sign writing )

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 2

And folks that's about as far as I can go with the work in progress as I can't find the pics of the rest of the stages. I'm sure I took them but they have disapeared into the ether.

From a humane point of view its probably for the best as I'm certain you have been put through enough and there are laws in place to prevent cruelty to others.

All that's left to do is fit the windows and add a bit more muck and grime, and of course paint Wallace and Grommit.

I did of course do all of this and you will see how it turned out as I will post the finished pics in the completed section in a bit.

All that remains to say is thank you for following along and humouring me through the build and I hope I haven't left anyone emotionally scarred or sent them screaming away from the hobby

Cheers me dears

Pete and Fluffy

another edit 16/32018

the above statement is no longer true. Whilst hunting through to find the missing pics for this thread I came across some more of the last stages of the build.

now I warn you they are just as yawn inducing as the previously seen ones but I'm going to post them anyway.

Also the guy who who normally writes the humorous parts isn't here so nothing funny to go with it I'm afraid

more rusty bits going on here I think

All the bits and bobs fitted and window surrounds painted

Some vallejo sepia wash in the grooves here and there ( I think that's what I used as I can see a bottle in the pic)

Ive got a few more pics but I think this will have to be it as I'm not sure how much more I can fit into this post before I break the forum.

ill post a couple of finished pics at the end as I think the ones in the ready for inspection area have been kidnapped by Photobucket

Pete

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 3

Lol,i've been quietly following it in awe (and histerics some of the time)...

Cheers mate, much appreciated

Pete

I read this entire thread in one go sitting on the bog.

I can't feel my legs!!!!

Entirely worth it though.

:goodjob:

Hehehehehe !

Best comment I've ever had on a build thread

Pete

• 1 year later...

Shame that Photobucket have found it necessary to spoil so many websites in their pursuit for monetary gain. They could have left pictures up that were posted in good faith and set a date from which any new users would have to pay without spoiling previous website posts.

Most people will not bother to give in to their demands to pay them apart from commercial users probably. So maybe that is the only market they are interested in serving?

Same people will find it is simply too much bother and time consuming to trawl all the way through their pics and re present them via another free host. So I guess that many websites will be saddled forever with Photobucket's 'Pay Up' symbol.

I would have liked to see the pictures of this build.

I'd forgotten all about this one 

thank you everyone for the kind comments, I really had a blast building this kit and I've built the other W&G kits along with the Shaun the sheep ones and they were just as much fun ( I wish there were more )

yes photobucket removed years worth of my builds ( along with millions of others ) from various places on the web it's a shame and the amount of visual reference on countless subjects that has been lost is heartbreaking. Going into a thread to have a gander at something and finding that all the pictures have been replaced by Photobuckets " pay us more money " banner has now become part of the Internet experience.

i do still have all of the pictures from this build and will upload them to Flickr and try and repair this thread over the next couple of days.

Pete

I've gone back and put the piccies in, but I'm not 100% sure that they are the same ones that were there originally, they seem to fit the text for the most part and let's be fair it's not like the whole thread makes a lot of sense to begin with does it ? 

I honestly  have no idea what I was on when I posted this but pretty sure it wasn't planet earth ( must have been a carbon monoxide leak )

if you do happen to have the misfortune to stumble across this thread and have the intestinal fortitude to see it through then please say something even if it's just to ridicule me, or even just leave a like.  this is not for my ego but just so I know that the hours I put in to fixing the photo links wasn't a total waste of time lol

im not kidding it took me an age to find the pics and then try to match them to the ramblings of a mad man from a year ago

Pete

20150513_113628

20150513_113440

20150513_113510

20150513_113713

20150513_113520

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 2

Should have got fluffy to lend a hand with it.  I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again this a very funny and informative WIP, glad you’ve taken the time to put the Polaroid’s back together with the dialogue, nice one Pete. 

Mick

On 16 March 2018 at 3:50 PM, Mickd said:

Should have got fluffy to lend a hand with it.  I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again this a very funny and informative WIP, glad you’ve taken the time to put the Polaroid’s back together with the dialogue, nice one Pete. 

Mick

Cheers Mick, did you post pics of yours ? ( I'm right in remembering you were building this kit too ? ) if so I'd love to see it buddy

Pete

22 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

Great to see this thread back...

I really wish Airfix had done more of these type of kits as they honestly are so much fun to build and make a great antidote for modellers block.

Pete

8 hours ago, Mpfiend said:

Nice Job Pete.

Keith.

Cheers Keith 

Pete

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Absolutely superb build Pete.

Big fan of W&G (as you can probably tell by my profile pic) and have been trying to get hold of the anti pesto van for some years (with no luck) to go with the W&G plane and motorcycle kits, so reading through your blog was eye candy of the highest order! 😃

On 12 June 2018 at 5:42 AM, RussellE said:

Absolutely superb build Pete.

Big fan of W&G (as you can probably tell by my profile pic) and have been trying to get hold of the anti pesto van for some years (with no luck) to go with the W&G plane and motorcycle kits, so reading through your blog was eye candy of the highest order! 😃

Thank you kindly Sir 

i got got mine a years ago and it was out of production then ( a tenner in TK Maxx iirc ) keep a saved search on EBay as I'm sure one will turn up sooner or later at a decent price. For what it is it's a great kit and a lot of fun especially for any W&G aficionados 

Pete