As a result of the close-down of the UK by the British Government last night, we have made all the Buy/Sell areas read-only until we open back up again, so please have a look at the announcement linked here.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Sign in to follow this  
Jon Kunac-Tabinor

Pilot Replicas SAAB J21A-3 1/48th scle

Hi - it's finished!

Kit decals used to model 21394 Red M of F12 wing Flyvapnet, Kalmar in the early 1950s.

How long have I wanted a 1/48th model of this aircraft? Too long! The build log is here: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234987096-pilot-replicas-saab-j-21a-3-148th-scale-twin-boom-pusher/

Hope you like her, as usual all comments welcome.

Cheers

Jonners

P1060835_zpsoeufjxx0.jpg

P1060819_zps1c4qjayp.jpg

P1060832_zpsgvbrdlqh.jpg

P1060822_zpszsdqxntw.jpg

Jon watched your build, really cool model, I hope I can add one of these and the Tunnan to my stash in the near future.

cheers Ali

Thats another stunner Jonners,.....well done mate on a really effective looking aircraft,

Cheers

Tony

Very nice Jonners - excellent work

Superb build and WIP serve as de rigeur guides for builders of the Pilot Replicas J 21!

Who would've thought, say, ten years ago that we'd get an almost-Tamiya quality quarter scale kit of this comparatively obscure and not that successful Swedish fighter?

One observation: the tube dimensions of the boarding ladder provided in the kit look decidedly oversize, making for a clumsy impression. Compare the excellent J 21 shot on Mikael Forslund's photo page (about two thirds down the page): http://mikaelforslundproduktion.com/flygbilden/and you'll see that a more in-scale replacement would be a good project for an aftermarket producer, or an ambitious scratch builder…

Slick modelling!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Such a cool looking aircraft, Saab do make them weird!

Excellent work on the model

Jon, I don't know how I missed seeing your completed J21 for so long. I wondered why there weren't any more entries in your WIP thread!

Anyway, great job! Do my eyes deceive me or were you able to use the internal photo-etched frames on the canopy hatches?

My attempt to use them nearly ended in disaster so I left them off.

Cheers,

Eric

Jon, I don't know how I missed seeing your completed J21 for so long. I wondered why there weren't any more entries in your WIP thread!

Anyway, great job! Do my eyes deceive me or were you able to use the internal photo-etched frames on the canopy hatches?

My attempt to use them nearly ended in disaster so I left them off.

Cheers,

Eric

Hej Eric - no the internal etch framework defeated me too. I scratchbuilt some detail the old fashioned way!! ( it was far safer). :)

Cheers mate - are you going to build the J29? ( I think I may know the answer!)

Jonners

Hej Eric - no the internal etch framework defeated me too. I scratchbuilt some detail the old fashioned way!! ( it was far safer). :)

Cheers mate - are you going to build the J29? ( I think I may know the answer!)

Jonners

Hehe...I did the same using a few bits of wire and pieces snipped from the etch runners. I was able to use the mirror piece though.

Oh yes, the J29 is on my list. When I build it is another story. :-) I hope they eventually do a 1/48 J21R too.

Cheers,

Eric

Great build! Colours is spot on and detailing is really great. I also like that you have avoided exaggerating the panel lines, they were almost invisible om J 21. Thumbs up! For those that still is interested in a dark wash on this ons, watch this first:

640px-SAABA21A-3Soderhamn.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Thanks for the tip regarding the internal etch framework, I have had my doubt about this. Really inspiring, I have to start mine soon!