Hasegawa F1M2 Pete 1/48 Dio completed

cger

Hi folks,

I have started a rather long term project, namely to build the Hasegawa Pete as a wreck.

hsgs7383box-lg_zpspgbwfgup.jpg

The first steps are to reproduce a kind of stressed skin effect on the wings and fuselage, and to remove some fabric covered pieces.

P1040147_zpsymqlnqva.jpg

The wing upper surfaces are scraped with a small chisel, after sanding with a sanding sponge, the remaining scratches are filled with Gunze Surfacer.

P1040145_zpsfxhczcuo.jpg

P1040149_zpshcgynmak.jpg

All the control surfaces were also fabric covered, and have to be reproduced from scratch. I used the cut off kit parts as templates. This was a very long and boring process. There are two tricks that help:

the first is to use a mechanical razor blade to cut thin plastic card: it allows to cut through card without applying pressure, so the card stays straight and flat.

The second trick is not to cut the exact shape of a piece: always leave an extra 'handle' useful to pick it up, the handle is then cut away after the piece is glued in place.

P1040148_zpssabliyu0.jpg

Some rivet lines are reproduced with Archer resin rivets.

On the reference pictures the prop spinner is always absent, so I reproduced a backplate with plastic card.

P1040150_zpswhz0ngvo.jpg

The next step was to add some details to the already beautiful interior: I removed the molded in ammo drums for the machine gun and replaced them with

empty supports. I also added some wiring with lead wire and various knobs here and there. A kind of belt where signal flares were stored is redone with lead foil.

P1040152_zpsldy3edma.jpg

I also added some details to the floor and seats. The floor pieces are done with thin plastic card, riveted on the back, to get raised rivets on the front side.

P1040153_zpsue12wpqn.jpg

The instrument panels were filled smooth and the instrument places drilled out, I added some photoetched bezels from my leftover box. The throttle and some other quadrant are redone for better detail.

P1040154_zpskjmffuij.jpg

Finally I moved to the engine cover: two side panels were cut out, the sides were thinned with a scalpel and some plastic lips added.

The firewall will be barely visible, so for lack of reference I used my imagination to make it reasonably busy.

P1040155_zpsvducb1wt.jpg

The next step will be painting. I hope you will like it,

Christian

Edited by cger
  • Like 14

hi, I am glad you like it so far. It is the new Hasegawa mold (1/48), not the old Tamiya offering in 1/50 scale.

I started one of these more than ten years ago but it ended in the bin,

regards,

Christian.

Good idea and great work so far!

I think that I can see some bullet holes still showing in the sand encompassing both wrecks and running level with the surf in the real photo,...where they have both been strafed,......if that is the case then they would look great in your diorama, filled in with small pools of water,.....as well as the footprints of the Allied personnel.

Good luck,

Tony

Good idea and great work so far!

I think that I can see some bullet holes still showing in the sand encompassing both wrecks and running level with the surf in the real photo,...where they have both been strafed,......if that is the case then they would look great in your diorama, filled in with small pools of water,.....as well as the footprints of the Allied personnel.

Good luck,

Tony

the dark spots on the beach look more like flotsam to me, but I am not sure. Anyway I have not yet decided about the setup of the dio, it will be either a sandy beach or a mangrove with some mangrove trees. In the mean time I have painted the cockpit parts and the mobile part framings:

P1040205_zpsoxjz7jjj.jpg

The Aotake varnish is done with an undercoat of Alclad Aluminium coated with a mix I found on the web: 8 parts Tamiya clear blue, 2 parts Tamiya clear green and 10 parts Tamiya Smoke.

The cockpit parts were also coated in Aotake. On top of it I airbrushed a coat of AK Heavy chipping fluid. I used Gunze US interior Green to reproduce the Mitsubishi interior green. It was then chipped to reveal patches of Aotake.

P1040214_zps9hxvn1yh.jpg

P1040220_zpswtncd2en.jpg

I used for the first time panel line washes from Mig Ammo which I found very convenient.

The kit engine is replaced by a Vector resin engine.

P1040243_zpsa4gduqzn.jpg

best,

Christian.

Edited by cger
  • Like 9

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

here are some in progress pictures of my Pete. The painting and weathering are essentially finished:

P1040277_zpswkslh6sn.jpg

The chipped paint was done with AK heavy Chipping fluid in two stages:

first a base coat of Alclad aluminium was coated with chipping fluid and a coat of red primer (done with Gunze paint mix) was airbrushed. The red primer was then chipped with water and a stiff paintbrush.

P1040278_zpszqbqlhxz.jpg

This was then protected with a coat of Future Klear applied with a flat brush.

Then the process was repeated with the top coats of Gunze IJN green and gray for the undersides.

P1040283_zpsxalhjnip.jpg

P1040281_zpsxxuyoxmi.jpg

P1040284_zpsks6p2lvm.jpg

P1040286_zpshpl2kpxu.jpg

On the sides of the fuselage I thinned the plastic from the inside with a motor tool and poked holes with a cutter:

P1040285_zpshp7avh4a.jpg

To represent the torn fabric on the control surfaces and some parts of the wings I used very thin paper from a shoebox, glued to the frames with white glue:

P1040287_zps38la3z5g.jpg

The next step is the final assembly and rigging, I hope you like it,

best,

Christian.

Edited by cger
  • Like 14

Good lord your work is exemplary.

The idea is a great one and the way you have turned that into a model is just stunning... The effects you have made with your paint work and the control surfaces are so good.

Rob

• 8 months later...

Hi all,

I made some progress on my F1M2 Pete, after leaving it aside for a long time. It is now complete, I am slowly working on an diorama base, which will

feature an sandy beach with coconut trees and some resin water.

Here are some pictures:

P1040488_zpsnooal8nn.jpg

P1040487_zpsnscv0kx0.jpg

P1040484_zpsgl8gl51f.jpg

P1040483_zpsvnnn4h3t.jpg

P1040480_zps69hwlliq.jpgP1040474_zpsbw702oyr.jpg

P1040477_zpselvepxjg.jpg

best,

Christian.

• Like 12

Hi,

I have now essentially finished the base on which I wanted to display my Pete. Here are a few pictures (my white background sheet is too small, I should get a bigger one to take better pics).

Here are a few explanations:

The ground is done with foam board, carved  with an X Acto knife. The sand beach is done with tile grout (already colored in a beige color). Some shades are added 

by airbrushing thin coats of Tamiya  XF 59 Desert Yellow  and XF 57 Buff.

The water is  two parts acrylic resin, poured in three layers. The bottom was airbrushed with various shades of blue, as the intermediate layers of resin.

The small waves are done with transparent acrylic gel.

The two coconut tree trunks are done with Magic Sculpt, formed around wire taken from an old coat hanger. The trunk texture is done by wrapping a sisal thread around the trunks, while the Magic Sculpt is still soft.

The palm leaves are done with paper. Looking carefully one can see some coconuts, which are peppercorn. The kind of fibers at the top of the trees are done with 

artificial fur.

Finally the plants at the bottom of the coconut trees are fishtank artificial plants and some ground scatter.

I plan to add one or two figures, ideally two US marines looking over the wreck.  The nice resin figures from Total War miniatures seem out of production and impossible to find,

so I will need to scupt them myself. Sofar my attempts were not successfull :(

I hope you will like it,

best,

Christian.

P1050099_zpsk3xkvv2h.jpg

P1050098_zpshfkdlczy.jpg

P1050095_zpsqesutdln.jpg

P1050094_zpso6ecks5b.jpg

P1050092_zpsvh94kync.jpg

P1050088_zpsb3mva6sc.jpg

P1050087_zpsyxv76pzv.jpg

• Like 10