Yamato

wizard4

She was I say was as I no longer have her 9ft-1" long 17" beam all up ballast weight was 126lbs for ballast I built two water tanks which I filled with pond water via a caravan water pump, same method to empty them, plus lead weights and four large 12volt Jelly batteries two for power and two for ballast these were in the stern.

• Like 2

Brilliant!

So how is it constructed? I also enjoy R/C aircraft and scratch build from balsa. Plastic modellers cry when the moulded finished shape doesn't fall together perfectly but I really enjoy the basic construction of big models which need a more varied skill set than just gluing the plastic bits together, painting and sticking on details. You'll have had to do all of that plus build a hull and superstructure that's accurate on the outside, contains your r/c equipment inside, floats the right way up and can be dismantled to get batteries in and out.

Fantastic job!

Ok so construction, the hull is GRP I bought that, the same company supplied the grp deck as well as the main turrets and secondary turrets, they supplied the bare fighting tower and bare structure, as well as the funnel, I sourced the rest of the fittings, the modeller then has to fit the running gear, and electronics, the next stage is to make the complicated shapes that make up the fighting tower, the barbettes for the main 18" turrets and 6.5" turrets, the hardest part is to make the aircraft catapults, and the crane, as all the frett is cut out by hand from plasticard, so 2 years to build, and another year tweaking the ballast etc. In essence there is so much that has to be made from scratch.Thankyou all for your likes and comments, I will try and post more photos if you like.

Cheers

Ray

Just a thing to say, initially it was thought that the triple mounted MG's were mounted in round tubs or cupolas,however once the ship had been found it was discovered that they were in fact hexagon and the stern ones were square, so I suspect that now that Musashi has been found, although in three pieces, unlike her sister ship Yamato the fighting tower and superstructure appear to be relatively intact, so I am sure there will be a lot more modifications to come.

Cheers Everyone

Ray

• 3 months later...

I bought a Nichimo IJN Yamato at 1/200 scale about 30 years ago and started building it during the winter weather, here in Aussie, so I had the gas fire on, to keep warm.

I had my Yamato in front of the fire, but not too close and it was progressing well, however, the next morning when I got up and began working on my model, I discovered to my horror, that the heat from the gas fire had melted the left side of the model, the side facing the gas fire and it resembled a wax candle which had melted on one side.

Sometime later, I smashed the upper structure up in a fit of fury and frustration, the lower hull was GRP, then I had an attack of the heebie jeebies and stuck all of the parts back together and I eventually swapped it for a camera (a film one) as the bloke who did the trade, wanted the hull for a Yamamato model of his own.

Sometime over the last 3 years, I purchased another Nichimo IJN Yamato at 1/200 scale, (since my efforts in trying to build one in card, came to nowt, in the scheme of things and ended up in the rubbish bin), just like the first one, however, this one so far remains in its box and I have not yet considered building it....I was thinking it might be fun to make it R/C, since I have a swimming pool and I could float it on that - hope springs eternal, me thinks.

At some stage, I traded for a Type VII submarine which came in pre-formed GRP, it was huge, about 6 feet long and way past anything I had previously and totally beyond my limited skills, card being my thing, so I sold it or traded it for something else - in hindsight, a Dremell tool would probably have saved the day - but I didn't know that then.

Richard.