Airfix 1/72 - New Tool De Havilland Vampire T.11 - Austrian

Airfix20De20Havilland20Vampire20-20AustrAirfix%20De%20Havilland%20Vampire%20-%20Airfix%20De%20Havilland%20Vampire%20-%20

Hello everybody, I hope you all like my Vampire? The kit was enjoyable and excellent to build without any major issues for me, the decals are from Xtradecal and the stencils from the Airfix kit as unfortunately I lost the Xtradecal stencils as they curled up once removed from the backing sheet to be transferred onto the model a lesson learnt :winkgrin:

• Like 3

Ooops really sorry guys ! I Am struggling badily with my digital camera getting in focus shots of my models, (as it focuses automatically) - I don't have an SLR camera. I would appreciate some helpful advice as I am a novice on here and could do without unhelpful comments from such people as Snitok1983 (maybe an iternet troll?) afterall we all have to start somewhere, don't we!! But, thanks for looking guys (apart from Snitok1983) , kind regards Colin.

Well I can see it has some different markings form most and you've managed to post the images,

I think you had the model too close to the camera.

Try taking more photos a bit further back and don't worry if the model appears smaller, it will be in focus and maybe you can crop the pictures.

If you can put it on a plain base and background such as a piece of card then that will help with the focus and presentation as well.

I look forward to seeing your efforts more clearly.

• Like 1

Well I can see it has some different markings form most and you've managed to post the images,

I think you had the model too close to the camera.

Try taking more photos a bit further back and don't worry if the model appears smaller, it will be in focus and maybe you can crop the pictures.

If you can put it on a plain base and background such as a piece of card then that will help with the focus and presentation as well.

I look forward to seeing your efforts more clearly.

Good evening Sir and thank you for your useful advice - Which I take on board and will try at a later date, much appreciated ! Its advice from guys like you which make this forum a better place, kind regards Colin.

Hi,

Nice Vampire.

My considered advice on the photos is as above the camera is too close to the subject and it's likely it cannot focus at that distance.

Also buying a sheet of A3 white card for a background helps to tidy up images.

Place the model on the card and shoot from further back this gets an in focus shot. Use the highest photo quality setting on the camera.

Save the pictures to your computer and then look for a bit of picture editing software and crop your images resulting in sharp images of you build on a nice neutral background.

HTH

Plasto

• Like 1

Nice to see a Vampire in Austrian colours,the guys seem to have identified the problem but make sure you have the Auto setting on

if it's a digital camera,I,ve just changed camera,s and struggled at first.

• Like 1

All the advice so far on your camera/photo technique is good. Another thing you could try is to see if your camera has a Macro setting which sets the camera for close ups. The symbol is like a flower.

Nice variation on a Vampire. I do like the whole De Havilland twin boom family.

• Like 2

As others have said it looks like you're too close. But you could try pressing the shutter half way down, on most cameras that will lock the focus and you can then press the button fully to take the picture (This might help if the camera is having trouble focussing because of lighting conditions).

• Like 1

Hi Colin,

Ignore the troll. I am certainly no expert on photography and have at most times struggled to take nice photos. Apart from the excellent advice from the others I can add that the best shots I have gotten are the ones that I took outside in natural light. However if you are doing this please be careful that if there is even the slightest wind you make sure that the background paper is well secured and that nothing can blow onto your model, I have had some very close calls.

Anyway keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing some great shots of the Vampire.

Shane

• Like 2

All photo advice so far is good. The outdoor light will help with speed of focus too, but still half-hour the shutter release and wait until it confirms focus before fully pressing.

Try looking for a macro setting, as already mentioned. One counter intuitive fact with most compact zoom camera is that greatest magnification will be acheived at the widest setting on the zoom.

• Like 1

Hello everybody,

Thank you all very much for your helpful and interesting advice which I am taking on board and practicing with tonight and over the weekend, I will if you all don't mind reload and post new images - Hopefully in focus and of better quality :blush: , kind regards Colin.

Hi Colin,

Ignore the troll. I am certainly no expert on photography and have at most times struggled to take nice photos. Apart from the excellent advice from the others I can add that the best shots I have gotten are the ones that I took outside in natural light. However if you are doing this please be careful that if there is even the slightest wind you make sure that the background paper is well secured and that nothing can blow onto your model, I have had some very close calls.

Anyway keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing some great shots of the Vampire.

Shane

Hi Shane,

Thank you very much for your lovely and helpful post, I am taking on board and learning from all the advice I have received so far, so standby for quality photos :winkgrin:

But, I want to spend some time modelling as I am building 1/72 Strikemasters at the moment and the new Strikemaster decal sheet from Xtradecal is on its way to me :yahoo: Kind regards, Colin.

Hi,

Nice Vampire.

My considered advice on the photos is as above the camera is too close to the subject and it's likely it cannot focus at that distance.

Also buying a sheet of A3 white card for a background helps to tidy up images.

Place the model on the card and shoot from further back this gets an in focus shot. Use the highest photo quality setting on the camera.

Save the pictures to your computer and then look for a bit of picture editing software and crop your images resulting in sharp images of you build on a nice neutral background.

HTH

Plasto

Hi Plasto,

Thank you very much for the interesting post and helpful advice which I am taking on board and experimenting with over the weekend - Hopefully I will be able to reload my Vampire with better quality photos :blush: Kind regards, Colin.

Hi Plasto,

Thank you very much for the interesting post and helpful advice.

No problem Colin.

If you get stuck drop me a PM and I'm happy to offer more specific advice if needed. But I'm sure you'll crack it your self.

Cheers

Plasto

• Like 1

Ooops really sorry guys ! I Am struggling badily with my digital camera getting in focus shots of my models, (as it focuses automatically) - I don't have an SLR camera. I would appreciate some helpful advice as I am a novice on here and could do without unhelpful comments from such people as Snitok1983 (maybe an iternet troll?) afterall we all have to start somewhere, don't we!! But, thanks for looking guys (apart from Snitok1983) , kind regards Colin.

Too close to the model appears to be the likely problem as mentioned. If taking pictures from further away still doesn't work, it could be the silver paint in which case try pointing the camera at the canopy frame where there's a bit of contrast with the interior. Sometimes if the colour is too uniform, eg all white, silver, black etc the camera has a hard time focusing. No need to spend more money on an SLR unless you want to. All of my pics are taken with a 10 year old digital compact. Here's one of my RFI threads if you want to take a look

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234984401-172-airfix-defiant-nf-mki-410-rcaf-squadron/#entry2030325

Edited by Knight_Flyer
  • Like 1

I'm glad so many people popped up to offer advice. They're a helpful bunch in here. :D I'm looking forward to seeing some photos that do your Vampire justice.

Thank you so much for your lovely post :thumbsup: I have been delighted with the helpful advice I have received on here! I have taken some more pics with the advice received and I will either post them here or start a new thread - Not sure what is best, kind regards, Colin.

Too close to the model appears to be the likely problem as mentioned. If taking pictures from further away still doesn't work, it could be the silver paint in which case try pointing the camera at the canopy frame where there's a bit of contrast with the interior. Sometimes if the colour is too uniform, eg all white, silver, black etc the camera has a hard time focusing. No need to spend more money on an SLR unless you want to. All of my pics are taken with a 10 year old digital compact. Here's one of my RFI threads if you want to take a look

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234984401-172-airfix-defiant-nf-mki-410-rcaf-squadron/#entry2030325

Thank you so much for the helpful and lovely post I have received from you, I have taken onboard what you and the other guys have suggested and I will be uploading some more pics of it, when I have some spare time this weekend, have a couple of social events to go to, so, please bear with me! Kind regards Colin.

Hello,Colin1967 - My compliments to you on a grand looking build of your 'Vampire'.I love the quality and detail of the paint and finishing work.Combining this with your chosen scheme has resulted in a little gem of a model for us all to appreciate.All the best,Paul.

• Like 1

Hello,Colin1967 - My compliments to you on a grand looking build of your 'Vampire'.I love the quality and detail of the paint and finishing work.Combining this with your chosen scheme has resulted in a little gem of a model for us all to appreciate.All the best,Paul.

Hello Paul, Thank you very much for your lovely post on my model - Much apreciated! :thumbsup: I dry brush my models and used Humbrol 191 and Humbrol 209 (Mainy layers), the decals are from the Xtradecal sheet, more Vampires on the way along with Provosts and Strikemasters in the pipeline. The new tool Airfix 1/72 Vampire kit was a real pleasure to build, kind regards Colin.

• Like 1