Turkish Airlines Boeing 737-900 Authentic Airliners

Timo

Authentic Airliners produce a series of all resin airliner kits which are considered by many to be the best and most accurate on the market, although quite pricey. I met Authentic's creator - Kurt - at Telford last year and his enthusiasm for the detail in his kits is quite exceptional.

This is one of their Boeing 737NG series, the 737-900 which is the longest stretch of the iconic 737. There are few parts in these kits so assembly is pretty straightforward. However there are no instructions for the landing gear or etched parts so reference to walkaround pics is essential.

B739-Turkish_1.jpg

Among the few operators of the 737-900 in Europe is Turkish Airlines who fly them into UK airports. With no decals yet available on the market, I've self made a set using graphics available on the Airline's website. The detail decals for doors and windows etc. are by Daco.

B739-Turkish_4.jpg

B739-Turkish_3.jpg

I've also built the shortest version of the 737NG, the 737-600 in SAS Scandinavian colours who are now the only European operator of this type. Decals are from Liveries Unlimited and the SAS colours are Xtracolor paints.

B736-SAS_2.jpg

And the two versions together to illustrate the size difference.

B737NG%20Pair3.jpg

In my view Authentic Airliners well deserve their excellent reputation.

Thanks for looking.

Tim

• Like 13

Nice work Tim - great decal work too. An Authentic Airliner purchase is on my list - right after I win the lottery I'm thinking - but would love to have one.

Have you looked at the Authentic Airliners Cockpit decals with pilot images etc? Very nice they are.

Cheers,

Mike

I'm another AA fan Tim.

Always nice to see more of Kurt's masterpieces here!

Very impressed with your Turkish decals, were they laser or inkjet printed?

I agree with Mike about the AA window decals. It seems a pity not to go the whole hog and use some photo realistic decals, they'll finish them off no end.

Where did you get hold of the ground plates by the way? They're very nice.

Cheers,

Ian

Thanks everyone for the great feedback.

Some responses to your comments...

Have you looked at the Authentic Airliners Cockpit decals with pilot images etc? Very nice they are.

Hi Mike, I agree that their 3D cockpit and window decals look fantastic - I'll certainly be getting some for a future build.

Very impressed with your Turkish decals, were they laser or inkjet printed?

I agree with Mike about the AA window decals. It seems a pity not to go the whole hog and use some photo realistic decals, they'll finish them off no end.

Where did you get hold of the ground plates by the way? They're very nice.

Hi Ian

The decals are inkjet printed and coated with acrylic clear varnish before applying.

The ground plates are home made. Its just a grid filled with different concrete textures I'd downloaded onto which I've added markings as per the CAA's airfield markings guide - all printed on 2 x A3 sheets and stuck to a backing board. .

Great job there! I have some AA waiting in my stash, are they difficult to build? Any advice is welcome

Thanks. The build is normally really straightforward as all the parts fit together perfectly. Preparing (cutting / sanding) joints on fuselages / engines needs care. There is a 'Hints and Tips' section on AA's website which shows you a build of an Embraer 145 as an example. Here on Britmodeller there is also a RFI by Viking where he gives some tips on building an AA 737.

Hope this helps, and thanks again everyone.

Cheers

Tim