F4U-1 Corsair Guadalcanal July 1943

just to show that I do finish kits occasionally, this is the last one I completed before I left the UK 10 years ago. It represents the aircraft flown by 1st Lt Foy R Garrison of VMF`213 and as far as I can remember was built straight from the box, it shouted build me NOW when I opened it.

DSCF2944_zpsouqgcwki.jpg

DSCF2945_zpsivkvhfan.jpg

DSCF2951_zpsm4ltlmfc.jpg

DSCF2950_zpszywnuk90.jpg

DSCF2941_zpsmysihvdv.jpg

DSCF2942_zpsjkytfhfr.jpg

DSCF2943_zps7qqhem5d.jpgDSCF2948_zpsgxlgcufd.jpg

I hope you enjoy it, any comments welcome

John

• Like 27

Thanks F-32 I was quite pleased with how it turned out.

J-W I used Lifecolor paints, it was my first time with them. I used the colours specified in the instructions, non-specular blue grey and non-specular light grey. I used the blue grey from the bottle on the underside outer wing panels then lightened it ( probably with the light grey, I don't remember ) for the upper surfaces to represent fading and then again for the control surfaces and other fabric covered areas. I hope the helps

Cheers

John

• Like 1

Nice work on an iconic machine - tragically short career for Lt Garrison. I did the same for the Pacific GB in 2011 http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/78513-148-tamiya-f4u-1-birdcage/

Interesting that we went for different internal colours (Salmon Pink against Interior Green) and it shows the debate within our great hobby as to what colours were at any given period; I actually think either could be right having tried to research it at the time.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, I appreciate your comments.

[quote name="AndyC

Interesting that we went for different internal colours (Salmon Pink against Interior Green) and it shows the debate within our great hobby as to what colours were at any given period; I actually think either could be right having tried to research it at the time.

The reason that my undercarriage bays were green is that at the time I started this I was not aware of the salmon pink primer. II know better now, when I build my 1/32 Corsair I will probably do them salmon pink overpainted with interior green so that the pink shows through.

Thanks for looking

Cheers

John

• Like 1

Hi Andy, thanks. Yes it's a great kit, Tamiya produced some other great 1/48 kits also at that time, like the P-51 and Wildcat, one of which I am about to finish after a gap of 10 years!

Cheers

John

Edited by Biggles87
  • Like 1

Hi John. I managed to miss this when you first posted it......sorry.

Glad I've spotted it now though because you did a great job with it. I'm very impressed with the weathering and wear'n'tear effects.

A really cracking Corsair! Well done.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Thanks guys, I just thought that it was about time I posted something that I had actually finished, even if it was over 10 years ago. The Spitfire is taking a back seat at the moment, bit not for long

More to follow soon hopefully.

John

• Like 1

Thanls 426 and Michael.

I use acrylic paint if I plan to do heavy weathering, over an underdercoat of something like Tamiya AS 12, then scrub at it with a combination of scotchbrite, a stiff bristled toothbrush moistened with thinners and blunted toothpicks before the top coat is fully cured.

Glad you like it.

John

Edited by Biggles87
  • Like 1

Thanls 426 and Michael.

I use acrylic paint if I plan to do heavy weathering, over an underdercoat of something like Tamiya AS 12, then scrub at it with a combination of scotchbrite, a stiff bristled toothbrush moistened with thinners and blunted toothpicks before the top coat is fully cured.

Glad you like it.

John

Thanks John - that helps.

Cheers,

Michael

I really like your approach to the weathering. I have taken that approach to props. To me it makes good sense to apply metal underneath the paint and simply remove the top color paint ... basically duplicating the "Real thing". Sometimes whenever I see some of the weathering I can actually see that it looks like silver paint applied over other paint. The depth perspective is a little "off". Once again ... WELL DONE !! Bob H.

• Like 1