1/72 Airfix Gloster Meteor F.8

This is my entry for the group build. Perhaps optimistically I'm planning on building this alongside my Vietnam group build Monogram Bearcat.

Adfj5rel.jpg

This will be OOB. I'm planning on building the Belgian Meteor, EG-47.

doFeQ2Xl.jpg

The instructions call for the use of the full-size blown canopy. However, I reckon all the Belgian F.8s had the smaller canopy.

jt0uOZYl.jpg

http://www.belgian-wings.be/Webpages/Navigator/Photos/MilltaryPics/post_ww2/Gloster%20Meteor%20F.8/Gloster%20Meteor%20F.8%20Frontpage.html

Here's EG-47, but with different markings on the fuselage.

http://www.belgian-wings.be/Webpages/Navigator/Photos/MilltaryPics/post_ww2/Gloster%20Meteor%20F.8/Gloster%20Meteor%20F.8%20EG-047.html

The canopy will be the last addition before painting, so I've got a while to make up my mind.

Edited by Magua87
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

First progress report.

I'll be closing the wings tonight. I've painted the engine faces flat black and have given the raised features a dry brushing with Tamiya Flat Aluminium. I've used the same paint for the wheel wells and the inside of the engine nacelles.

RjihDoql.jpg

The cockpit was also painted flat black and given a flat aluminium dry brushing. There's also a speckle of flat aluminium over spray, but I think it all works to reduce the monolithic properties of a flat black cockpit.

29A9fw9l.jpg

• Like 2

Cockpit floor attached to one side of the fuselage.

DQcDvIWl.jpg

Wings closed. Tomorrow's job is to add some paint to the inside of the front of nacelles (forgot to paint them when I had silver in the airbrush) and touch up the underside of the cockpit floor. I must have sat it in some super glue at some point as I've lost a big blog of silver.

Tv3wmxBl.jpg

I'm going to need to find some lead somewhere.

• Like 1

Nacelles painted and attached. Sanding has commenced. Will have to run a knife or a scribe around them to reinstate the join lines which are being obliterated by the sanding.

w2YaUF2l.jpgAJbnrKQl.jpg

I'm hunting for some lead as I'm ready to close the fuselage. I've also ordered some paint for the high speed silver. I've got some Citadel Runefang Steel on the way. Sounds like it's a finer paint than the Tamiya flat aluminium that I used for the wheel wells, interior, etc.

• Like 1

Nice cleanup. I use lead fishing weights, cheap and you can squash 'em to shape with a pair of pliers.

Michael

I found some lead in my modelling supplies and placed it behind the cockpit for a dry run.

y3h6CcQl.jpg

No luck there, so I moved to the nose. After several dry fits to test the balance I ended up throwing lead at the area! I added some extra lead under the cockpit floor, just behind the nose wheel, and blanked off the area with some card. Hopefully it's sorted now. So much for the recommended three grams!

AcNNBlRl.jpg

I cut the canopy from the sprue and fitted it for a test. Despite all the dry brushing you can't see anything in the tub. I'll dip it in some clear and see if that makes a difference. It's shame that Squadron don't produce a vac-form canopy for the meteor.

Edited by Magua87
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well, I had my question regarding the canopy answered. It flew with the full blown canopy.

Unfortunately I won't be able to finish this build in time. I'm moving house over this week and have just packed all my kits and supplies away. I won't be seeing them again until the 9th. Good luck to everyone else with a build on the bench! You'll be seeing mine in the RFI forum in a month or so.