1/72 - SIAI-Marchetti SF.260D/W/N & SF.260TP by Kovozávody Prostějov (KP) - released

Homebee

On 9/20/2020 at 7:55 PM, Dennis_C said:

I doubt it is. I think it's not the first time Special Hobby and AZ/KP issue same subject simultaneously. In all cases these were different moulds. 

At the meetings they possibly be like:

cef377af-da1c-4eb0-927b-dd5a14757a19-amo

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Have to say that I'm not surprised by the difference in the two toolings. AZ/KP have done some good stuff but in general SH is ahead when it comes to mould finesse.

In any case, unless the price is too high for what I believe such a kit should cost, I'll have to get me one of these as soon as it's available

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Robertone139 said:

It seems that poth recip and turbine coversions are present in the sprues already.

Panel lines are a bit softer but detail is nice, even in the cockpit. We are going to have to consider the price point difference...

Detail is nice?? This thing looks like cast from plasticine in a soap mould, or the other way around. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Robertone139 said:

It seems that poth recip and turbine coversions are present in the sprues already.

Panel lines are a bit softer but detail is nice, even in the cockpit. We are going to have to consider the price point difference...

You're not serious!😃

If it was in two colors of plastic,I write  it's very bad 40-45y old Matchbox!

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - SIAI-Marchetti SF.260D/W/N & SF.260TP by Kovozávody Prostějov (KP) - released

Released 

- ref. KPM0209 - SIAI SF-260D Marchetti "Over the USA" - https://eshop.kovozavody.cz/10482,en_sf-260-over-usa-.html

- ref. KPM0210 - SIAI SF-260W Marchetti "Over Africa" - https://eshop.kovozavody.cz/10483,en_sf-260w-over-africa-.html

- ref. KPM0211- SIAI SF-260EA Marchetti "Italian Service" - https://eshop.kovozavody.cz/10484,en_sf-260ea-italian-services-.html

- ref. KPM0212 - SIAI SF-260D/W Marchetti "European users" - https://eshop.kovozavody.cz/10485,en_sf-260w-d-european-users-.html

- ref. KPM0213 - SIAI SF-260TP Marchetti "Turbo Warrior" - https://eshop.kovozavody.cz/10486,en_sf-260tp-turbo-warrior-.html

- ref. KPM0214 - SIAI SF-260TP Marchetti "Light Attacker" - https://eshop.kovozavody.cz/10487,en_sf-260-light-attacker-.html

20201103_171746s.jpg

20201103_171734s.jpg

20201103_171657s.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 2

Looks like the main difference between KP and SH is that KP is releasing all versions including TP at once and likely releases are not happening soon. While SH will be selling us one version every half-year. And TP is maybe coming up in several years :) and maybe not at all. 

So for those who are impatient KP is probably a better option. 

• 1 month later...

Well, now that I have the kit in my hands I have to say that I was expecting something a bit better...

Panel lines are indeed very heavy but this is a minor problem. This is clearly a short run kit, all parts need some cleaning and the surfaces are quite rough, as if the moulds were not very smooth. Not that short run kits scare me but I'm a bit puzzled by the fact that older AZ kits were in some respects better moulded than this one.

Oh, and decals are not great... I got the Italian Service box since I don't have decals for an Italian 260 and the roundels are off-centre while in the unit badges it's possible to see the pixels in the print.

I'm very glad to be able to buy a plastic kit of this aircraft, but I feel that AZ/KP should up their quality not only in the more mainstream subjects but also in these lesser known ones.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I truely don't understand, without wishing to sound condescending, why anyone is surprised by AZ/KP " quality" , let alone why anyone would buy their SF-260 considering Special Hobby one.

AZ quality dropped in 2009, ever since these are true short runs of not so good form , only their HQT kits are finer, but have host of accuracy issues, not to mention decals...

22 hours ago, Thomas V. said:

I truely don't understand, without wishing to sound condescending, why anyone is surprised by AZ/KP " quality" , let alone why anyone would buy their SF-260 considering Special Hobby one.

AZ quality dropped in 2009, ever since these are true short runs of not so good form , only their HQT kits are finer, but have host of accuracy issues, not to mention decals...

All I can say is that in my case I had decided to buy both anyway, and then build them in parallel. The SF-260 is quite interesting to me since I'm from Italy and lived in Ireland, so I have connections to the aircraft use in both countries. I also have the Cunardmodel kit and when someone is happy to build an old resin kit, building a KP one would sound an easier solution... that it may or not be !

Have to say that I have several AZ kits in the stash including some from a few years ago and in some aspects this kit worse than those and this is something I did not expect.

Looks like the history with L-159 quality is repeated. Very crude short-run kit even by 10-15 years ago standards. And problem is that moulds preparation is just poor. Hastily thrown into production. 

Luckily for SF.260 we have SH on approach.

I personally built some AZ kits and have some more in stash. Quality is unstable indeed. Their Hueycobra was very good, close to long-run quality. Legato-branded Argus was a typical short run with some assembling issues. Admiral-branded BT-13 was fine although clearly short-run too but packed with resin and PE fret. Chipmunk in stash looks like Argus and probably will assemble similarly. 

Edited by Dennis_C
  • Like 4