Is there a 1/72 Chieftan kit? May not be new question but...

Kiwikitbasher

I'd love to get hold of one, any version (and I am aware of course of the old 1/76 kit by Airfix but I don't mix 1/76 with 1/72). I just can't believe that nobody has kitted one, but I've had no luck so far.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Not as I'm aware of. If there is I'd be more than interested!!!!

Not even in metal?

Sadly it's a very under-represented type, I may well be banished for mentioning the name but I think Cromwell Miniatures may have produced one back in the day.

Thank you all for your replies.

As to a metal one, I have seen a die-cast ready-made online, but I really wanted a good well detailed kit, and had hoped that there would be someone who offered a resin kit (other than from Scotland).

It seems incredible its been ignored when much more obscure types get kitted in styrene. It seems equally incredible there's no 1/72 injected kit of the Centurion, but at least Black Dog and others have released resin kits of various marks.

I remember building the old airfix chieftain and centurion when I was a nipper, back then I remember being very happy with both models but I bet if I built them now I would feel differently. Even though I don't build much armour I would be tempted to give them a go again out of nostalgia, if I saw them for a fiver at a show that is. I also had the old airfix bendy plastic centurion which came with the gun emplacement assault set.

I remember building the old airfix chieftain and centurion when I was a nipper, back then I remember being very happy with both models but I bet if I built them now I would feel differently. Even though I don't build much armour I would be tempted to give them a go again out of nostalgia, if I saw them for a fiver at a show that is. I also had the old airfix bendy plastic centurion which came with the gun emplacement assault set.

I'd happily have a crack at both the old Airfix kits (I too built them as a kid in the 60's), but I'm strictly 1/72 only and don't mix 1/76 with 1/72.The approximately 5% linear difference may not seem much, but the 15% volumetric difference is too noticeable I feel.

you can get cromwell kits if your on facebook there is a cromwell community group going which am a member ..

thomas

Thank you both for your suggestions.The Britannia miniatures looks fine for war-gaming, but not quite as refined as I was hoping to find. I have had no luck finding any images or listing from a 1/72 Chieftain by Cromwell, which I expect would be more like the display quality I'm hoping to find.

Is this direct from cromwell or though a third party dealer Thomas ?

directly from them..

Thank you both for your suggestions.The Britannia miniatures looks fine for war-gaming, but not quite as refined as I was hoping to find. I have had no luck finding any images or listing from a 1/72 Chieftain by Cromwell, which I expect would be more like the display quality I'm hoping to find.

ok just sent gordon a message on 1/72 chieftain ..

thomas

Not wishing to stir things up but this company have a very poor reputation , have a search about on the web.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47211/thread/1327360897/Gordon+Brown+%26amp%3B+Cromwell+Models+-+A+Warning+to+all

There are 7 pages there to read and digest , thought about dealing with him myself till i'd read all that :(

Edited by taggart

just got message back from gordon at cromwell there is a 1/72 kit of cheiftain due out early new year in 1/72 but 1/76 are available ..

thomas

Not wishing to stir things up but this company have a very poor reputation , have a search about on the web.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47211/thread/1327360897/Gordon+Brown+%26amp%3B+Cromwell+Models+-+A+Warning+to+all

There are 7 pages there to read and digest , thought about dealing with him myself till i'd read all that :(

Whilst I'd be most interested in next year's 1/72 release I too would not be prepared to gamble on dealing with Cromwell Models, Is there any reliable way of obtaining their products? I found a Czech retailer once who was prepared to order from them, but even he had no idea if his orders would be supplied.

Thanks for that, as you say, it could be a basis to improve upon. That particular Ebay seller doesn't deliver to NZ where I live, but it will be available elsewhere that does. Thanks for taking the trouble to look and suggest it.

Thomas's mention above of the possibility of a 1/72 Cromwell kit next year is the most tempting option so far, if only there was a reliable way to order one!

that is true but he is dealing with it and i have ordered recently and no problems paid via paypal..

thomas