Distilled or tap?

Flashman

Quick question: going to be spraying some Xtracrylic through my gravity fed airbrush, will be thinning with water. Do I have to use distilled water or could I get away with the stuff in the tap?

Thanks, Flash.

Good question, I currently use tap water,and it's to hand though probably shouldn't as I'm not sure the water softener affects that tap and it's a hardwater area. Have no idea where to buy distilled round here but windscreen washer sounds ok, what is in that stuff? And thing bad, cant have nasty chems were I work, reason I can't use enamels

I believe that you can also use water from a condensing tumble dryer (if you have one of these tumble dryers). I have been using this to think Vallejo paint and it seems to work well.

Great tip, thanks Anthony.

'The Girls' were discussing this recently (for some reason) and apparently it's now difficult to get hold of 'distilled water' as the distillation process is 'old hat' and uses lots of energy. The 'new stuff' is de-ionised or purified water. Science stuff here.

• Like 1

Watch out for fluff in tumble dryer water.

I have a new one of those and studied the contents of the collection bottle the other day.

I decided I won't be using it!

Distilled for me with a splash of W&N Flow Improver for Xcrylix .

HTH,

Rick.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Watch out for fluff in tumble dryer water.

I have a new one of those and studied the contents of the collection bottle the other day.

I decided I won't be using it!

Distilled for me with a splash of W&N Flow Improver for Xcrylix .

HTH,

Rick.

If the water tray/box/container isn't cleaned very often and rinsed you get a slime build up and other deposits,detergent,softener/conditioner used in the washing machine left overs from SWMBO's drier freshener thingy.

Cold tap water is all I've ever used . I've never used a flow improver though to see if there is a difference with using it.

simply boiling tap water and letting it cool will improve it

Its possible to get Limescale deposits with cooled boiled water though.

I use warm tap water and I live in a chalky area, but have never had problems. Others have said eye wash from expired dated bottles but never tried it.

• Like 1

I use warm tap water and I live in a chalky area, but have never had problems. Others have said eye wash from expired dated bottles but never tried it.

Thats a good point about types of water.soft water areas wouldn't have the scale problem.I live in a hard water area and scale up at the drop of a hat.

• Like 1