Academy 1:350 HMS Warspite

Husker

Hey guys. I thought i'd share my latest build with you all. It's the legendary HMS Warspite in 1:350 scale from Academy. It's in the WIP section because i am still waiting for parts to do the rigging and i am unsure whether i want to add any rust effects to the ship.

So what do you think??? Comments and constructive criticism welcome.

download_zpsbzdpeogx.jpg

download%202_zps1ovdrpcg.jpg

download%201_zps0btigcec.jpg

download%204_zpsw4vg9oyy.jpg

download%203_zpsekhm7x8t.jpg

• Like 2

I looked at a few pictures and the main gun barrels are lighter than the hull colour. The smaller guns i wanted to stand out a bit more, same for the boats behind the cranes. I tried to contrast colours but not go too overboard.

This is the main image i used for reference.

1faclg.jpg

But your kit depicts her in 1942, when she should be in a camouflage scheme of APC507B and APC507C. The guns would have been painted in whatever colour the surrounding area was. The pic shows Warspite at the time of the Spanish Civil War, hence the markings on the turret. I would suggest the main guns are the same as the hull colour but the sunlight makes them appear lighter as the side that is visible to the camera is in the shade and therefore appears darker. If you wanted to paint the model like the photograph, then your choice of Grey is wrong. The grey you have used looks a bit like APC507B Medium Grey when in the picture, it's more like APC507C Light Grey. Besides, it's a colourised pic of a black and white photo, so the pic can't be used as a precise colour match.

Google pics of HMS Warpsite in 1942 and you'll see what I mean about the camouflage.

thanks

Mike

PS, look at your pre-war pic again, all guns bar the 15 inch, have Black barrels.

Edited by Mikemx

Probably too late to be of any use, but John Snyder compiled a lot of references including Warspite at the time depicted in the kit:

http://www.sovereignhobbies.co.uk/pages/british-royal-navy-colour-schemes

Basically as Mike says the ship was camouflaged with AP507B & C. Main armament definately paint same as hull and superstructure. Pom poms and machine guns black. Some bridge decks corticene (a reddish brown). The boats green above the waterline. Blast bags are off-white.

It's very neatly done and even in these colours it's worth finishing off. It would benefit from some photo etched railings I think - to my eye ships always look a little bare without any.

Edited by SovereignHobbies

It may have had the corticene removed by 1942, so they might be APC507A like the other metal deck areas.

Another tip for the painting, would be to lightly dry-brush the ship with a light grey - even the wooden decks. Trust me it'll look better and wooden decks faded to a greyish colour after a while.

Regarding etch, it can be a little daunting at first but when I first started messing around with etch in the 90's, I replaced things like the cranes rather than add railings. If you can manage to replace the plastic cranes with etch, you'll notice a big difference!

thanks

Mike

Edited by Mikemx
  • Like 1

Warspite went to the US for major repairs early in the war didn't it? Quite possibly came back without corticene from an American yard I guess?

Not sure, lot's of ships went to the US for repair/refits (including my Grandad's HMS Royal Sovereign) but I know Corticene was removed from ships at some point. It's something certainly worth checking out, I certainly didn't do any corticene on HMS Valiant or HMS Malaya (or indeed Renown, Repulse and Barham!).

thanks

Mike

I think you have made a beautiful job of that, but then I am looking at through eyes that are not too bothered about true scale,but what is pleasing. .

• Like 1

I don't know a lot about the specifics, i just grabbed a few pics online and just built it to what i thought looked good. I do have the etch cranes but i've never used that before so i wasn't sure if i wanted to use it or not on this. I can certainly change it though. Also the etch railings i do want as well as the brass gun barrels but money as always is the issue which is why i never got it.

I should have the rigging done in the coming week and when we get some good weather i'll take it outside and get some better pics in natural light.

Thanks for the input though guys :)

Edited by Husker
  • Like 1

PE cranes should be too hard to do. You need something like flat PE pliers to help bending the PE. Cranes are usually done in 1 piece and you just fold it to make a box structure and hold it together with a dab of superglue. Cranes are much easier and more statisfying to do than railings (which get very tedious!). All my ships are in 1/700 and if I can manage cranes in 1/700 (being merely average at best!) I bet you could do them in 1/350!

thanks

Mike