Scimitar F.1 and N.113 - 1/72 Xtrakit and Frog

Having just finished the Xtrakit Scimitar, here are some photos of it with my ancient Frog N.113 for company.

My copy of the Xtrakit didn't have any of the reported mould problems, but was missing its canopy which was promptly replaced by Hannants. It's pretty basic but went together well for a limited run kit, much like their Swift. I left off the drop tanks as they took on a nose down attitude and looked wrong and anyway, I think it looks nice "clean". It's from the box apart from squaring off the bizarre Type 525 sloping base to the fin. The trailing edge of a Matchbox Meteor rudder from the spares box sorted that out with a little filler. The decals were the worst I've encountered in a modern kit as they were very thin and cracked very easily. I managed to save all except the Royal Navy legends on the fin and a few of the stencils. The Royal Navy legends came from the spares box and are a bit oversize - perhaps they were from a Matchbox Phantom?

The N.113 came from Moore's Handicrafts in Rugby (anyone else remember the shop?) in the mid-60s when I spotted it high on their shelves. I had just discovered "paint" and coated it pretty liberally. It came off second best when my then young nephews played with it so I did a basic restoration, repainting it and using the canopy and decals from the appalling Merlin Scimitar (the only kit I have ever finally, terminally given up on and chucked in the bin). It's still missing the wing fences so maybe I'll have another go at it one day and refinish it as WT854, as the original markings.

Both are brush painted with Humbrol enamels.

Perhaps now history will repeat itself - not long after I finished the Xtrakit Swift, Airfix announced their version so maybe we can expect a Scimitar soon!

DTM2hUDE

fHWlg4fI

MFV35vwU

Edited by bryanm
  • Like 16

A great pair of one of my favourite aircraft. Clearly the Xtrakit one is more refined and detailed but I think the old Frog job holds its own well given its vintage.

David

• Like 1

Hello,Bryanm - My compliments to you on two beautiful looking builds of your 'Scimitars'.I love the quality and detail of the paint and finishing work completed in the classical style.All the best,Paul.

• 2 months later...

A great looking pair of Scimitars. Amazing what you have achieved with the Frog moulding. I know it perhaps wasn't the greatest aircraft ever to have graced a Royal Navy carrier deck but it certainly looked nice. Having built the Magna and (earlier) Czechmaster kits, plus having the Xtrakit one in the stash, I also really hope Airfix will do the decent thing.