SR 177/SR 53, any kits ever made?

Spitfires Forever

I just ran into this interesting aircraft and was wondering if a model was ever made? Probably a vac-u-form if anything. On further research, the whole Lockheed situation back in the 1960's seems to have been repeated with the F-35. Regardless of the the political nature surrounding these aircraft, I would like to build a model of either of these fascinating planes.

Cheers

The Ursus/Airfix mould for the SR-53 is said to have disappeared. Airfix would like it back but don't know what happened to it after the Ursus issues.

The Ursus kit is a copy of the Airfix, not the Airfix mould. The Poles did that with a number of Airfix moulds in the 60s, e.g. MiG-15, Rotodyne (no kidding...), Caravelle and S.55. Both the Astra and Aerodrome kits appear to be from the Ursus mould. May have been at the ATF, this was once verified by someoone who had built the Astra kit.

You are going to be paying between £30 and £50 for an Airfix example, ask my wallet how I know!

Martin

Struth Martin

When I think of the 7p (albeit in old money at 1/3) I paid way back when. If I had only known I would have bought 2 and saved them

• Like 2

Struth Martin

When I think of the 7p (albeit in old money at 1/3) I paid way back when. If I had only known I would have bought 2 and saved them

Don't depress me! I'd have known what I know now, I would have bought a whole wing of them and made a killing!

Martin

...but then you'd have spoiled your price yourself...

Actually the kit isn't all that rare, I have accumulated seven plus an MPC boxing, but as has been said just about all were 30€+. Except one a friend brought me from Connecticut in 1991 which cost a mere 10 $. But as with all the Airfix kits whose moulds are presumed (or actually) lost, the price reflects this.

If there are (theoretically) two sets of moulds of the SR.53 (Airfix and Ursus), are we to assume that BOTH sets have now been lost? Or, if the Ursus mould still exists, could Airfix get hold of the Ursus mould if that particular mould isn't lost?

I have to ask but why would Airfix even want to aquire the Ursus mould?

Unlike their own original mould it holds no historic value. I doubt it would even be worth placing on the (dying) kickstarter programme.

Its appeal is very limited. Not only is it an old mould but the real never saw service so wouldn't fit in with many niches besides the lovers of prototypes and experimental craft.

Should Airfix ever see fit to release a kit they would so far better scanning the real deal and making it afresh. Tbh I think even this is far down the priority list considering the number of lesser known/built/operated types and variants that would get a shout before it, even in the 'every 3rd-ish release' schedule that Airfix have settled on for these.

You could argue that being only a prototype doesnt automatically make it a 'never' but the type itself just doesn't hold the real life mystique of the other major Cold War political casualty, namely the TSR2, and nor does it I suspect lend itself to as many mods and schemes that makes its larger cousin such an attractive Wiff subject.

May as well conclude it will never reappear from a major manufacturer (even Revell, who flirted with Luft 46, would be a mighty long shot at best).

One final note: Airfix would do well to avoid packaging any further old moulds in new style boxes. To many fingers have been burned with folk expectations dashed on examining the plastic - I didn't expect much from the DH88 but even I didn't bother building instead simply used it for spares).

Please let such old uncompetitive moulds die with dignity, and start badgering the Ltd Run kit makers for (even one to 1980s standards would be a huge improvement)

Edited by dpm1did1

Some of my favourite aircraft: the Sr.53 (original Airfix) and Sr. 177N (Freightdog) seen below with an old FROG FD.2 Delta:

wp339a1282_06.jpg

wpb50aeac2_06.jpg

Edited by gengriz
Undoing the damage that Photobucket inflicted
  • Like 7

If there are (theoretically) two sets of moulds of the SR.53 (Airfix and Ursus), are we to assume that BOTH sets have now been lost? Or, if the Ursus mould still exists, could Airfix get hold of the Ursus mould if that particular mould isn't lost?

There are (or at least were) two moulds, I have enough Airfix kits and an Ursus and actually compared them. The Ursus was in production fairly recently, and the fact that it appears to be OOP ATM doesn't imply the mould is "lost". No idea if there was a connection, but the mould may well be with today's owners of the PSW and Ruch moulds (possibly MisterCraft).