Best 1/48 Tornado GR1 Kit?

craigmason1971

There are no dedicated GR.1 kits in 1/48, although the Revell IDS and forthcoming GR.4 release will provide the best option for modelling a GR.1. And there is always Italeri and HobbyBoss's IDS kits as well, but the Revell is your best option.

-Daz

As an addendum to Daz's post, the HB kit isn't very accurate in terms of shape as Jon KT found out when it first arrived. :fraidnot: If you're not starting with the lovely new Revell one, the Italeri kit is better than HB in terms of shape, apart from the base of the tail, which Paragon used to do a simple correction for in resin. It can also be found pretty cheaply these days now it's been superseded. :)

The Revell kit is really very good, although as has already been noted it's not a GR.Mk.1. Most of the necessary parts are in the box, unheralded, but one striking omission is the glass front for the laser rangefinder. (And, moreover, you can see from the sprue map that it's been deliberately deleted from the clear sprue.) Still, it should fairly easy to fabricate one from clear polystyrene.

It's also very good value. List price is something like £24 and, ahem, I happen to have one going for about half that if you're coming to Telford. The kit decals are for a specially marked German IDS but, if your aim is the Boscombe Down scheme, I doubt any kit would ever suit and you'd be looking at aftermarket either way.

I forgot, mainly because it's not worth the cardboard box it comes in, that Airfix do a dedicated 1/48 GR.1, although I'd steer well clear of it!

It should also be noted that the rear cockpit of ZA326 is not a standard GR.1 affair, there is some good images of it at the following link-

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tornadoza326/albums/72157655411092468

-Daz

Edited by Dazza

I forgot, mainly because it's not worth the cardboard box it comes in, that Airfix do a dedicated 1/48 GR.1, although I'd steer well clear of it!

It should also be noted that the rear cockpit of ZA326 is not a standard GR.1 affair, there is some good images of it at the following link-

-Daz

It's a Gr1T, hence the layout of the rear cockpit.

Muzz

-Daz

:lol: same as their F.3 kit then? :shit:

Defintely go for the Revell kit or the Italeri kit. The latter is less detailed, but is very good in terms of shape and has the parts necessary for a GR.1; plus it's very cheap just now. 'Muzz' is correct however that ZA326 was a GR.1T and therefore had significant differences in the rear cockpit.

Xtradecal made decals for this one (X011-48), but the markings are specific to when ZA326 was based at RAE Bedford.

If you want to build that plane here is a good link for the cockpit mods (currently at Bruntingthorpe): https://www.flickr.com/photos/tornadoza326/

I am currently converting the Revell kit into a trainer too (though a prototype trainer so the cockpit was different again from standard T jets), not too much work to do it :). The cockpit is easier to mod in the Revell kit (plus it is a way better kit than the others) so I would go for that one if I was you.

L1010661%202_zpswoph1euk.jpg

cheers,

David.

Edited by mirageiv
  • Like 1

The Airfix GR1 (if it can be bought cheaply enough) would be worth using to scavenge the weapons and laser finder glass from in conjunction with the Revell IDS kit if you wanted the Hindenburger tanks too.

However I am going to get the Revell GR4 and back date it to a GR1 for my planned 31 squadron jet.