Frog Fairey Gannet

wizard4

Hi guys recently purchased an original Frog kit of the Gannet, unfortuneatly I was buying it with rose tinted nostalgia glasses, was surprised to see it had three heads poking out of a solid cockpit, anyway i'm afraid I did the unthinkable, yes I lopped there heads off, shame on me. But I then cut out the blank plate on top and shaped the cocpit, I then built two tubs for the seats, and glued them in, so currently the fuselage is complete just waiting for Eduard cockpit items to arrive, I also contacted Revell and spoke to a very nice lady about the possibility of aquiring a set of their decals from their current Gannet kit, she was going to see if its possible. One thing I did find out they have stopped production of the Gannet.

Anyway I will keep you informed of my progress.

Cheers

Please keep us informed and can you post some photos? I have 3 of these oldies in my stash - all acquired long before Revell and Trumpeter released new ones. I have no doubt the new moulds will be streets ahead of the old Frog one but I will build the Frog ones one day and would love to see yours.

David

• Like 1

The FROG kit is very accurate and with a little work on the detail front can be turned into a nice replica. It will be interesting to see how you get on.

Martin

• Like 1

Hi there,

I've built this (all 20-odd parts of it) and used the crew:

IMG_0303.jpg

I overdid the orange a bit but they look pretty convincing when the canopies are in place. Now, if only more kits provided the useful features from bygone Frog days, like the handy raised demarcation line between EDSG and Sky!

Actually I had a blast building it, and I look forward to seeing yours.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 6

Your absolutely correct Martin, the kit itself whilst basic compared to the latest versions on the market. it has very fine detail and that should not be under stated, the thing about Frog is that they generally made kits of aircraft that were not being manufactured by Airfix etc, so as in the case of the Gannet, it was the only way to get one to the best of my knowledge.

I like how you have worked around the model Adrian, full marks for not converting it as I have done, I will see about posting picks of mine soon.

Cheers

Ray

Hi guys I am having real problems with Humbrol paint I am using, it's supposed to be matt, but looks like satin and is just staying sticky, anybody else having this problem, so I see no point in posting photo's yet

Cheers

Hey Wizard,

Someone else mentioned they were having problems with humbrol paints not drying recently. Did you stir the paint enough, that could be one reason, or it was a duff batch of paint maybe...

Cheers

Viv

Yes I did Ace I have four tins the same colour and they are all the same, I even have problems with their matt white its just not covering properly meaning even after 3 coats its still not enough.

Cheers

Yes I did Ace I have four tins the same colour and they are all the same, I even have problems with their matt white its just not covering properly meaning even after 3 coats its still not enough.

Cheers

I'd let Humbrol know, they'll want to sort it out at their end and perhaps sort out your paint predicament. I can't say Humbrol's problems problems are isolated, they've had faulty batches over the years. I seem to recall their white colour was a pain (matt and gloss variants) it left my TSR-2 with a sandpaper effect! -_-

I wish you luck with your paint issues and with the Gannet too!

Sam

Edited by cathasatail

Hi again Ray,

I would go with Sams suggestion and contact Humbrol. I stopped using enamels a long time ago and now just use acrylics because I find them easier to use, and kinder on my brushes too! Good luck with the build, looking forward to seeing your finished kit, I love Frog kits!

Cheers

Viv

• Like 1

I refuse to use Humbrol's 'modern' enamels but I've found their acrylics spray and brush very well even using only water as thinning agent

They mix nicely too if you need variations and tonal changes

I'm a reluctant but 'becoming quite converted' convert to some acrylics including Vallejo, Tamiya and the aforesaid Humbrol

And I have a Froggy Gannet to play with at some time in the future

Doesn't Adrian's look quite the lovely little thing, brilliant :thumbsup2:

• Like 1

If you are thinking of converting, I can only convey praise for Vallejo- screw cap (no ill-fitting tin lids), it can be thinned down with water (great for us asthmatics!) and they can be removed much more easily (no more scratches to old models if you need to sand them down).

Anyway, that's not a sales pitch :P just an observation!

Sam

I hope you find a way round your non-drying problem. If it's still not dry maybe you could wash it away with thinners?

All matt whites seem to require multiple coats. I now expect to do four or more, so I brush it on thinly and try not to worry about the translucency. Strangely enough a coat of light grey can be more opaque and a better start than a couple of coats of white.

----

+1 for Humbrol Acrylics. I use water with a drop of washing up liquid to dilute them a bit, and brush them on.

I was a reluctant convert because the new-made-in-the-UK enamels just didn't work for me, but now I can't remember what the fuss was about. And because they don't smell I'm now allowed to model in a nicer room. I've also used some of the Revell and Citadel (Games Workshop) paints and they are nice paints too. The Citadel metallics in particular are excellent.

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be anywhere in London that stocks Vallejo. I miss Modelzone!

Regards,

Adrian

Edited by AdrianMF
  • Like 1

I agree with the new Humbrol stuff, I am having problems with all sorts Aluminium being the worse! I have drifted over to Modelmaster Acrylics which I love spraying but I find are a bit naff for brush painting so end up both. Also Airwaves did an etch set for the Gannet which may be still available somewhere. It just helps to fill the space from the cut outs. Looking forward to seeing some pics.

Cheers now

Bob

At least it hasn't got the pooched rear end that the modern tooled Revell kit does

(Sorry to thread hijack...) I've heard that before but I've not actually read/seen what the problem is. All the reviews I've read say that it's better than the Trumpeter kit and more detailed than the Frog one, with no mention of problems. Could anyone point me at a review or post that explains the problem with the Revell kit?

Thanks,

Adrian

A pity you dont live near Brum then Adrian, Vallejo's everywhere

I know Parabellum stock it because Nigel always has it at the shows he attends

And even my local guy has started carrying it, along with Citadel type stuff and Alclad

make a list, get a train ticket and bring mucho dinero to Telford, they'll all have it

Edited by perdu
  • Like 1

Hi guys I am having real problems with Humbrol paint I am using, it's supposed to be matt, but looks like satin and is just staying sticky, anybody else having this problem, so I see no point in posting photo's yet

Cheers

I had this problem a while back with all Humbrol acrylics so i gave up on them and switched to Tamiya and Xtracrylix, never looked back since.

I used to live in Brum (well, Solihull) as a lad in the days when you could buy models and paints in every newsagent or Woolwoths. I was back there for a day last year and dropped into Parabellum on the way home - couldn't believe it!

Sadly I'm missing Telford for the second year in a row because of work travel commitments. I will be glued to the net to see what Airfix announces though!

(still sorry for thread hijack)

Regards,

Adrian

You don't know of Mike's models by any chance, do you?

Sam

If you mean the Mike's Models at the top of the hill in upper Kingstanding, no

OK OK I jest albeit badly

If you do mean that one I bought Vallejo 70.863 Gunmetal, some no 11 scalpel blades and a roll of thin Tamiya tape on Tuesday from them

If you dont mean that one it could be one that disappeared from the Stechford area during my absence from the hobby

All thirty odd years, extremely odd some of them ;)

What can I say guys incredible response, I am going to have a chat with my friend John as he uses some of the other makes of paint you have suggested, he is a serious tank modeller, but uses the spray gun, i'm still in the brush era. I will contact Humbrol and see what they say. I suppose the downside of the Frog Gannet is it's undercarraige, especially the nose wheel section as the legs glue onto the outside of the fuselage, with tiny doors, so I will make some up and tuck the legs inside them. I have loaded one photo onto photobucket, just got to figure it out to transfer it here, read the FAQ but i'm a bit thick. Anyway I now have the decals on the port side of the fuselage folks, if nothing else I don't give up easily. Although i confess working on 1/72 is very fiddly compared to the 1/96 Battleship I built of Yamato that was 9ft long. I will post photos of that in the appropriate part of the forum.

Cheers

Ray

• Like 1

Cheers

Sorry to hear about your paint woes. Whatever you do, don't use white spirit to wash it off. I did and this is what happened.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234990153-a-sad-and-sorry-tale-or-a-comedy-of-errors/

Hope you get it sorted, I'm a big fan of the Gannet.

(Sorry to thread hijack...) I've heard that before but I've not actually read/seen what the problem is. All the reviews I've read say that it's better than the Trumpeter kit and more detailed than the Frog one, with no mention of problems. Could anyone point me at a review or post that explains the problem with the Revell kit?

Thanks,

Adrian

Theres a thread on here somewhere my daughter Dannielle posted about the woeful contours of the back end of the

new Revell kit. It looks like the aft fuselage is too wide and it creates a sharp curve around the hook that doesn't exist

on the real beast.

The Trumpeter kit is a part for part rip off of the CMR kit

Edited by NAVY870
  • Like 1