Two 1/48 B.o.B. Mk.I Spitfires - Tamiya and Airfix (New Tool) - One now with Wilko's picture frame base

Really nice builds and dio`s, they look great

Hi Russ. Thank you very much.

Outstanding paint brush technique! Beautiful finish!

So at least I know now that in my next life I should be (almost) as good as you are in this one...

I feel happier now.

JR

Hi Jean. When I first joined Britmodeller I wasn't able to paint anywhere near like I do now - I credit others on here who are far better with brushes than I am for sharing the techniques they use to get good finishes using brushes and acrylic paints. I then spent a long time practicing on scrap bits and pieces until I got to a point I felt relatively confident that I wasn't going to ruin perfectly good kits!

Thank you for your comments.

Lovely work :goodjob:

Would you mind sharing what you are using for the backdrop & base please?

Would love to take some photos like that myself, of course my models don't compare :worthy:

Kind regards

Nige.

Hi Nige. Thank you you are too kind.

I won't get chance to take an up to date photo of the setup until the weekend but I have a couple of older photos which will hopefully give you an idea of what I use. The first photo shows my Spitfire display shelf behind a diorama I made for the D-Day GB last year. It is basically a long MDF shelf with a thinner piece of MDF attached to the back. On the thinner back I glued on a photo, which I enlarged and blurred slightly from the original - it's actually printed across several sheets of A4 paper, but I laminated them with matt laminating pouches.

15380382222_e5e1875421_c.jpg

How it looks in use behind the diorama can be seen here.

The second photo shows how it normally looks with my Spitfires on display - although these latest two Mk.Is are not in this photo and I think I can only fit one of them on! When I made it I hadn't realised how obsessed I was going to become with Spitfires!! :pilot:

18412955238_22265944e5_c.jpg

With regards the camera - at work I'm lucky enough to be lent an iPad Air 2 for my job which I use for all my photos of my models. I'm really lazy and it's very convenient. Let me know if you would like to know any more.

Good luck if you decide to make one.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Absolutely stunning build. And fantastic finishes, Stix. But one question. Where are the wires and batteries for the motor on the Tamiya Spitfire? I have thought about doing this and building a starter trolley to keep those small button batteries in to power miniature motors from my busted i/r mini helicopters.

• Like 1

Absolutely stunning build. And fantastic finishes, Stix. But one question. Where are the wires and batteries for the motor on the Tamiya Spitfire? I have thought about doing this and building a starter trolley to keep those small button batteries in to power miniature motors from my busted i/r mini helicopters.

Hi Rover420. Thank you very much for your comments.

With regards the wires - unfortunately I didn't take a picture of where they pass through after the motor but I actually drilled a hole in both the sides that the wings glue onto so I could make sure they didn't fowl any areas of the joint:

20622664088_c1dafd6674_c.jpg

I then cut the original black and red wires shorter and soldered on some thinner black wires. Next I drilled some holes roughly above where the brake cables would come out on the actual Spitfire. My plan was that I would use these wires to represent the brake cables themselves:

20565510273_121690f94f_c.jpg

21918356970_613eb51629_c.jpg

Testing the motor:

21918649508_1b41a09e4c_c.jpg

Here you can just about see the wires running down the back of the undercarriage legs:

21919772369_427950a106_c.jpg

In this final photo below you can see that I drilled two holes in the baseboard to pass the wires through. My original plan was that the wires would run down the inside of the wheels and so wouldn't be seen - but the vibration and power of the Merlin (Airfix!!) engine meant the whole model kept pulling forward so the wires are unfortunately more visible! I may try and disguise them with some chocks at some point!:

22299158330_93efd0cbab_c.jpg

For the set of RFI photos at the start of this post the wires just pass off to one side of the base and are masking taped onto a battery. Eventually I will add some sides underneath the base and fit a proper battery holder and switch.

Hope this is of some help. Please don't hesitate to ask if you'd like more information. When I was making mine there were various suggestions about how the wires could be disguised including making them go to starter a trolley - so your idea could be better than what I ended up doing. I had also thought about taking them out of the part of the fuselage where there was the smallest gap to the base - near the tail wheel - but I figured they would be harder to disguise.

Good luck with yours.

Just... WOW!

Impressive builds, both internal and externally. Then the dioramas added to that as well.

Lovely, crisp detail. You should be proud of your achievements!

Thank you very much Hairystick for your very kind comments.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 2

Thanks Stix. I can see them now!!!

No problem. When I was taking the photos the fact that the wires were on show was about all I could notice - I did think about making use of Photoshop but decided against it - better to show how it actually looks!

I look forward to seeing some of your spinning props/rotors in future.

Kind regards,

Stix

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick post to say a big thank you to everyone who voted for my two builds in both the first and final rounds of the Battle of Britain Group Build poll. I did a longer thank you post here if anyone is interested.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

I recently purchased a cheap picture frame from Wilkos as it seemed to have deep enough sides so I could get a battery holder and wiring underneath so I could properly display my 'Spitfire Scramble' scene. Here are a few photos:

27192376765_ecd0dff95e_c.jpg

Switch in the corner:

27096599502_3fe17e8c6c_c.jpg

.....which turns on the motor for the prop:

27096598862_9b3184aa64_c.jpg

27096598682_c163dcc24b_c.jpg

27096598352_94b670a871_c.jpg

26917404210_bf6c504ab2_c.jpg

27158993986_5037a443b9_c.jpg

Comments ans suggestion welcome.

Thank you for looking.
Kind regards,
Stix

1/72 Mk.Vb Spitfire

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 2

Lovely stuff, like the motorised Spit and have a soft spot for 602 Sqn Spits as well living minutes from Glasgow airport.

Rgds,

Eng

• Like 1

Brilliant, sheer genius! :clap:

Ciao

Thank you Giemme - you are too kind.

Excellent dios, great work on the aircraft and the figures.

Hi James and thank you too for your very kind comments.

Lovely stuff, like the motorised Spit and have a soft spot for 602 Sqn Spits as well living minutes from Glasgow airport.

Rgds,

Eng

Thank you very much Eng and I can understand why you have a soft spot for them! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1