Two 1/48 B.o.B. Mk.I Spitfires - Tamiya and Airfix (New Tool) - One now with Wilko's picture frame base

The two Spitfires below were built for the Battle of Britain Group Build. The group build comes to an end on Saturday 31st October 2015, so, if you haven't popped in yet, then now's your chance: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/forum/523-battle-of-britain-group-build-iii/

Both of these Spitfires were built alongside each other, pretty much in the same way as I did with my two Mk.Vb Spitfires. They are not OOB but they are both painted with good old hairy sticks.

The Work in Progress for both of these Mk.I Spitfires can be found here.

Spitfire Scramble

Kit: 1/48 Tamiya Mk.I Spitfire

Extras: Eduard photo-etch set, EZ-line, Airfix figures and an Airfix propeller motor

Paints: Humbrol and Revell acrylics all applied by paint brushes

Aircraft: Spitfire X4593, UO-A, of 266 Rhodesian Squadron RAF, based at RAF Wittering, July 1940*

Video: A video on YouTube demonstrating the prop working on this kit (sorry about the shaky video!!!)

*This aircraft crashed on November 22nd 1940 near Holme Lode Farm, Holme, Cambridgeshire. More details about the aircraft, the pilot at the time of the crash and the aircrafts possible excavation in the near future, can be found here: http://www.greatfen.org.uk/pilot-and-crash

22498145371_239a57a29a_c.jpg

22299157660_1a8d690728_c.jpg

21864388514_16c9f5f83e_c.jpg

22299157570_d0189eb9fb_c.jpg

21865920783_45f6b421a0_c.jpg

22299158330_93efd0cbab_c.jpg

22473718772_6bc770e31a_c.jpg

22300289049_350aa2e199_c.jpg

22461107426_09e6a72986_c.jpg

22299157220_79ddf1b1db_c.jpg

22303771499_0f21b477a2_c.jpg

Spitfire Re-Arming

Kit: 1/48 Airfix Mk.I Spitfire (New Tool version)

Extras: Eduard photo-etch set, EZ-line, Airfix and Revell RAF Ground Crew figures plus equipment

Paints: Humbrol and Revell acrylics all applied by paint brushes

Aircraft: X4382, LO-G, of 602 Squadron RAF, P/O Osgood Hanbury, RAF Westhampnett, September 1940

22299402658_02a3edfe0a_c.jpg

21864376274_0374a48543_c.jpg

21865907543_78815c345b_c.jpg

21864376704_c7ea0426e8_c.jpg

22487105115_a9472daf68_c.jpg

21865907483_809c846e02_c.jpg

21865907393_1f8f6636a4_c.jpg

22299401388_07f22a7e1c_c.jpg

22300275269_35b324b2df_c.jpg

22498133071_e0a04ffa10_c.jpg

22305435609_d52006f947_c.jpg

Edit - 24/05/16 - I recently purchased a cheap picture frame from Wilkos as it seemed to have deep enough sides so I could get a battery holder and wiring underneath so I could properly display my 'Spitfire Scramble' scene. Here are a few photos:

27192376765_ecd0dff95e_c.jpg

Switch in the corner:

27096599502_3fe17e8c6c_c.jpg

.....which turns on the motor for the prop:

27096598862_9b3184aa64_c.jpg

27096598682_c163dcc24b_c.jpg

27096598352_94b670a871_c.jpg

26917404210_bf6c504ab2_c.jpg

27158993986_5037a443b9_c.jpg

Comments and suggestion welcome.

Thank you for looking.

Kind regards,

Stix

1/72 Mk.Vb Spitfire

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 57

This is absolutely a work of art! :worthy::clap:

The two scenes look so real! And the spinning propeller it's the final touch for this new instalment of Stix's magic!!

Ciao

• Like 1

What an excellent couple of dios....builds and presentation don't get any better than this.Outstanding paint and finish of both aircraft, and great photography too... Very well done and thanks for posting! Cheers, Dave

• Like 1

Hello STIX..

O.M.G. !!

Your Spitfires are EXQUISITELY done.. STUNNING and GORGEOUS. :heart: :heart:

I Admire your Dioramas and both of them are simply IMPECCABLY accomplished builds.

Your pilots figure in the first post is to die for.. Absolutely SPECTACULAR detailing ..as are all your figures and the painting is TOP NOTCH .

LOVE it.. :clap: :Tasty:

LIKE the black and white photos. Simple but yet SO very effective ....

just the way I like it... :yikes:

KUDOS MY friend.. :worthy: :worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

• Like 1

Absolutely superb! I'm a huge Spit I fan and these are right up there with the best I've seen. Colours are spot-on too.

Cheers,

Mark.

Hi Mark. That's very kind of you. Thank you.

Wow, love the diorama's. The aircraft are superb, but adding the figures, ground crew and base really brings them to life :)

Hi Woody. Thank you very much. The figures are very well sculpted which helps make them easier to paint.

Wow , fantastic pair of Spits , The figures are .works of art too. great .job :speak_cool:

Thank you very much Keith.

Outstanding!

I'm totally lost for words - thank you for posting.

Regards

Dave

Hi Dave. That's very kind of you to say. Thank you.

Great work

Two fantastic Spitfires!

Thank you Paul. You're very kind.

I struggle to get a finish that smooth with an airbrush! Very well done, I like those a lot.

Thank you Avgas for your kind comments. I sometimes struggle with the paintbrushes to get get them this smooth!! :fight:

Excellent results!! Out of interest, which paint numbers did you use for the Green and Earth?

Hi Phill and thank you. I use Humbrol acrylic number 29, Dark Earth and Humbrol acrylic number 116, US Dark Green. I started using 116 after reading an interesting thread here on Britmodeller - I'm sorry to say I can't remember which one. In it various suitable paints were discussed but the majority seemed to think that 116 was a closer match to the original. I find I have to be patient though. Both colours only start to look 'right' once I've given everything a coat of Pledge (modern version of Klear) [before applying decals] and then the final matt varnish coat (Humbrol spray can). Up until the varnish layer both colours appear a bit too dark (to me). Hope that's of some help.

Outstanding builds Stix,superbly informative WIP too,a mentioned in dispatches for the photograph's as well :thumbsup:

Thank you Steve, as always, for your kind comments. I think the photos are all down to my work's iPad Air 2! It does quite a good job.

I cannot remember what the maximum number of replies in a post is so I'll start another post for the next ones.

Thank you all again for your comments.

Kind regards,

Stix

Superb & very lifelike...

And all done by brush - outstanding!

Hi kwality8 and thank you for for your comments. Yes it has to be done by brush as I don't have an airbrush - don't think I'd get on too well with one!

Both Spitfires look excellent. Well done Stix.

Thank you Joe. you're very kind.

Fantastic the pair of them but the first one with the prop spinning is something else...

Hi Vince and thank you. I have to admit I was quite pleased I managed to get the motor to work. I saw the motor in a toy shop and just hoped I could get it to fit! Luckily it fits quite well in the Tamiya kit. I wouldn't have been able to get it to work in the Airfix version - it's not designed in a suitably easy way.

Superb builds they both look great, very nice job on the paint and finishes... both dios look superb .

Thank you Batcode for your very kind comments.

This is absolutely a work of art! :worthy::clap:

The two scenes look so real! And the spinning propeller it's the final touch for this new instalment of Stix's magic!!

Ciao

Hi Giemme. Thank you, as always, for your very kind comments. :thumbsup:

Excellent modelling and superb presented. Great photowork.

Now some later "Bubbletop" Spitfires ?

:thumbsup:

Hi Bernd and thank you for your comments. I had a go at a "Bubbletop" a while back - I used the Revell XVI as an early practice build. The WIP can be found here.

What an excellent couple of dios....builds and presentation don't get any better than this.Outstanding paint and finish of both aircraft, and great photography too... Very well done and thanks for posting! Cheers, Dave

Hi Dave and thank you for your very kind comments.

Hello STIX..

O.M.G. !!

Your Spitfires are EXQUISITELY done.. STUNNING and GORGEOUS. :heart: :heart:

I Admire your Dioramas and both of them are simply IMPECCABLY accomplished builds.

Your pilots figure in the first post is to die for.. Absolutely SPECTACULAR detailing ..as are all your figures and the painting is TOP NOTCH .

LOVE it.. :clap: :Tasty:

LIKE the black and white photos. Simple but yet SO very effective ....

just the way I like it... :yikes:

KUDOS MY friend.. :worthy: :worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

HI HOUSTON!! How are you? Not seen you around for a while. Hope you are keeping well. Thank you, as always, for your very, very kind comments.

I'll do another post again for the next replies.

Thank you all again.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Fantastic work on both of them.

Your have master paint brushing skills.

Like the dioramas as well.

Well done :)

PS

Are you going to Telford?

Hi Pawel and thank you very much.

No, unfortunately we're not going to be able to go. I take it you're going?

Stunning work! I might even pick myself up a 1/48 Spitfire Mk I at some point ;)

Ben

Thank you wellsprop. And you should definitely get either of these - I would personally love to see you work you're magic on one!

Showing off again I see Stix!!

Lovely work mate particularly the Tamiya,simple but sooooo effective...absolutely top drawer!

Tim

Hi Tim. Yes I'm afraid so! :winkgrin:

....and thank you for your kind comments.

Superb Stix! Loved watching these build up in the BoB GB. You're Dio/photograpy/presentation really makes the models "come alive" well done all round. :clap:

Thank you very much Greg - you're very kind.

Thank you again to everyone who has taken the time to comment.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 1