Whitley VII 612 Squadron Coastal Command 1942

IMG_4201_zpskr3qtrlw.jpgFirstly apologies to anyone who came here hoping to see the new Airfix Whitley, this is a totally different kettle of fish!

Not for me the accurate and finely detailed Airfix version but the horrible, how much flash can you get on a sprue, Frogspawn version that I bought on ebay about a week before the Airfix announcement. So curses on Airfix and their stash spoiling ways I built it anyway and all things considered it doesn't look too bad.

There have been a few other Frog Whitley builds which taught me a lot and some of the tricks and tips have been used along with the Warpaint book. So a few things tackled include;

-the lozenge windows are not cut out in the kit, not a fun task.

-all transparent bits are Falcon apart from the front triangular window which I crushed so had to use the kit version. The front turret has also been crash moulded so it can be separated from the housing.

-turret interiors have been scratch built

-cockpit interior is photo etch

-side aerials are stretched sprue

-decals are Print Scene

I could go on but to be honest I'm glad to draw a line under this one and move onto the next. It has been hard work and I nearly consigned it to the bin a number of times but it's finished and whilst not my proudest moment looks oK.

All I need now is for Airfix to ruin my planned Encore Beaufort

IMG_4203_zpslthralje.jpgIMG_4179_zpsmc1jic2o.jpgIMG_4195_zps33riokvt.jpgIMG_4194_zpsqt0q17k6.jpgIMG_4187_zpsvhrdpoc3.jpgIMG_4185_zpsilioqsvf.jpgIMG_4142_zpsheb21o6m.jpg

• Like 37

Wow, another lovely build posted on BM :goodjob: Thank you for sharing your hard work with us, kind regards Colin. PS: I would love to see the Encore Beaufort built up by you as I remember how much flash was on my long departed copy of the kit. :evil_laugh:

• Like 1

Thanks for all the positive feed back, makes all the trials and tribulations of this kit worth while.

looking forward to seeing an Airfix one done.

Next on my agenda is a Pegasus Bristol M1C might do a WIP, there are only 9 parts, how hard can it be?

• 2 weeks later...

After the first sentence I was half expecting it to be the Fly kit.

lovely whitley there, this is the version I'm looking forward to from airfix next year, you got a great result from this old kit

+1 Same here. Like the colours and markings.

• 1 month later...