1/48 Tornado IDS - Italeri 2648 (2nd Try!)

Ghostbase

Second attempt to finish this 1/48th Italeri Tornado IDS which will be completed as an RAF GR.1 version from 1991 (probably as 'Gulf Killer'). This was originally started in the Tornado III group build in memory of Merv Milliken and I would like to get it completed before starting a 'big' project for the winter.

This is where she has got to:

IMGP9813size_zps5hqckyio.jpg

I actually started yesterday before going to work, have painted the wheel wells and attached the undercarriage legs, also painted the wheels and attached those. One big mistake, I misread the instructions and have attached the main gear doors strut in the wrong place so they might have to come off again :weep: Oh, and the bomb racks are not straight!

IMGP9814size_zpsaoxwjber.jpg

Most of the hard work has been done already, just got to concentrate.

Michael

• Like 1

Have made a start and put in a few hours today. Reviewed the instruction sheet and highlighted all the parts which have not yet been attached, also to fix my error with the main gear doors struts.

So, took the doors off the main gear wells and then detached the struts. Then re-attached the doors and cemented the struts where they are supposed to be :) Also added the landing light:

IMGP9822size_zps9zpfm8uc.jpg

Couple of additions up front, have added the landing light to the front undercarriage, also the clear optics to the rangefinder. Still need to add the cannon and paint the area around the cannon in gunmetal. I have also repainted the black inside the air intakes, that was poor masking earlier in the build, after I took this photo.

IMGP9823size_zpsrd3xysp9.jpg

At the stage this photo was taken I had attached all the antenna, blade aerials, and pitot tubes; the canopy is a dry fit, next stage is to paint all these in sand so that I can then add matt black panels.

IMGP9825size_zpswrijwxhq.jpg

Now all painted in HU250 desert sand (pink?) and have also added matt black panels to the wing tips and the fin and tail planes (not shown), also completed the cockpit in matt black. Next stage is to hang the pods and fuel tanks to the pylons then an overspray of Klear to seal the paint so that the decals can be applied:

IMGP9827size_zpsfayoyaab.jpg

Seems to be going well and I feel that I have my old mojo back again. Not going to be a perfect build by a long way (are they ever?) but I have decided that I must get this build finished before I start my big winter project.

Michael

• Like 2

A couple more hours spent on the GR.1 yesterday and a bit further forward. Started with a complete over spray of Klear to seal the paint in preparation for adding the decals and weathering. Jet exhaust area painted in Humbrol Metalcote 'Gunmetal' and polished with a cloth once dry. Weight added to the nose and nose cone attached. Air intake interiors part repainted by hand. I do need to paint the sides of the clamshell thrust reversers in desert sand.

IMGP9829size_zpsuvldbejd.jpg

IMGP9830size_zpsppoin26q.jpg

Have also nearly completed the cockpit with painting of the consoles, addition of the ejector seats and stick, also the HUD. Not terribly accurate and were I to make this kit again I think I would invest in a couple of aftermarket seats.

IMGP9831size_zps2z0oac3d.jpg

Next step is to add the decals and then weathering, I understand that these aircraft got quite grubby so that will expand my horizons quite a bit. Then add the bombs, fuel tanks and Sky Shadow pods. Then very small detail such as the pitot tube and navigation lights. The canopy will be closed.

Michael

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Have had another 'low mojo' month but finally got restarted today, I have started an old Monogram F-100D in 1/48th scale as well as a T-38C Talon for the F-5 Group Build and I really do need to get this Tornado into a display cabinet!

Finished the decals today then added the large fuel tanks and the ECM pods, these really do make a difference:

IMGP9931size_zps5ui6vqjz.jpg

Then added the bombs supplied in the kit :-) One thing this build is teaching me is to use acrylic paints as much as possible. The Desert Sand and the Gunmetal are both Humbrol enamel / Metalcote paints applied by airbrush. Just about everything else is acrylics applied by brush or rattlecan and today I used Vallejo paints for the first time; olive drab for the bombs and silver for the pitot tubes. Have to say I am happy with the results and how easy and simple it is to clean the brushes.

IMGP9932size_zpsslfwvusf.jpg

Finally, I mixed up a homemade 'wash' of Humbrol enamel matt black mixed with white spirit and I have started filling in the panel lines using capillary action. It isn't perfect and I really do need to build up the confidence to use a 'proper' wash but this will do for now!

IMGP9933size_zpsqsasoqts.jpg

So close now, all she needs is an overall spray with Humbrol matt varnish from a rattlecan and she will be done!

The last question is that 'mighty fin' and replicating the jet exhaust stains from those clamshell thrust reversers. Do I leave her as she is or do I give it a try. And if so - how?

Michael

Hi Michael, looks good.

If your not confident with washes try Flory Models Wash, it's easy to use, paint it on and wipe it off with a damp kitchen towel.

Exhaust and oil stains I used Tamiya weathering pigments, again real easy to use.

Thanks Mish, Flory Models Wash is on my 'must get list'. Just get hung up on washes, is like learning to swim, but once you do it I suspect you wonder why you waited so long :)

Absolutely the last photo before finishing! Have applied a spray of Humbrol Enamel Matt Varnish 49 from a rattlecan to the entire aircraft and happy with the results. I masked the canopy sections and will remove the masking in a moment or two, then tomorrow will cement them to the aircraft and she will be *finished*! I started her on the 15th June this year so by my glacial standards a relatively quick build.

IMGP9938size1024_zps0zy4faco.jpg

Michael

• Like 1

Finished!

IMGP1665size1024_zps2jzfdokv.jpg

To recap:

Finally finished yesterday, this is 'Gulf Killer' which is a Panavia Tornado GR.1 which was operated by the Royal Air Force out of Tabuk (Saudi Arabia) in January 1991.

I started her in June so by my standards a fast build, is the 1/48th Italeri Tornado IDS kit, airbrushed with Humbrol 250 Matt Desert Sand and Humbrol Metal Cote Gunmetal, matt white by Humbrol rattle can, all other colours brushed in Revell and Vallejo acrylics. Panel lines my own 'wash' applied by fine brush tip, then all oversprayed with Humbrol Matt enamel varnish also from a rattle can. Decals from the kit.

Not my best, I lost interest several times, and I have to get a camera which doesn't show my mistakes so clearly! However, for all that she looks pretty mean and brutal and I am happy with her, just got to find a space in the display case.

Big thanks to Mish, you got me there :thumbsup:

Michael

• Like 2