Airfix Shackleton quality issues

reheat

Not on this kit. I did buy a Typhoon where the wing wasn't fully formed. Luckily it was bought from a shop and I took it back to exchange for another Typhoon - that one was okay. This was over a year ago.

If you have not started the kit yet, take it back to retailer and ask for another kit or your refund,

If started contact Airfix and tell them about the problem and request for replacement part.

• Like 1

After a very careful check, same as SniperUK, just the sink marks which do not impinge on any detail and will be dealt with when sorting fuselage join out. I

t all does seem a bit of a lottery with Airfix. Their toolmaking seems ok, but there is clearly an issue with manufacture that needs sorting out. I still think the polystyrene that is being used needs looking at. Perhaps it is time for Airfix to send some one out to India to look at what is happening.

Good old Airfix . . . A brand new kit with moulding problems again. Do you think they'll ever produce a kit that doesn't have "Issues " ? The best thing about Airfix kits now seems to be the box art and the decals . . . Rant over, I'll get me coat !

• Like 4

Perhaps I have just been lucky but I have bought a large number of Airfix's new releases and not been able to spot a problem with any of them.

Martin

• Like 4

Radleigh, on 27 Oct 2015 - 3:15 PM, said:

this should come under 'basic modelling skills' surely?

It should, but it should also come under 'basic quality control' too. It's a lot easier to spot than minor warping or scuff marks on the glazing, I could understand them missing those. There's a pic on the other Shack thread of half an engine nacelle missing.

I fix them same as you do, but if they carry on like this they're going to get a wider reputation for poor quality.

• Like 1

I've been a great fan of Airfix for as long as I can remember but this is utter rubbish quality control

They need to address this with urgency, somebody is being paid to produce kits to a standard and it just isnt happening if this state of affairs carries on

I'll still buy them but they will always get rubbish thrown back at them

Edited by perdu

I have to say I've bought quite a few of the new Airfix kits in the last few years and have not had any problems. Maybe it's time to play the lottery. Still, when I (finally) receive my Shackleton, I hope it doesn't have any problems like that. The sink marks on the fuselage are no big deal, but the short shots are rather troubling. I think somebody does need to take a look under the bonnet before they send the kits off.

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang

Just the sink marks on the starboard fuselage and the port nose tip had broken (the bit above the nav window) - nothing that a little basic modelling can't cure. I've waited too long for an accurate Shack MR.2 to care about minor issues frankly.

Regards

Tom

• Like 1

QA and QC need a talking to by the looks of things. Someone's not looked at the sprue before bagging it, or decided to pass the problem on to the punter. :rolleyes:

Aside from General QC, I wonder if this is down to them rushing the Shack out in order to pip Revell to the post? If you think about it, the Swift was finally available in the UK many months after it is was scheduled to be, because of a mould flaw, something I didn't personally see but heard many tales of from our American friends as they had a shipment before we in the uk did. Obviously that flaw was bad enough for airfix to deem it necessary to redo the mould for that sprue, rather than shrugging corporate shoulders and saying damn the torpedoes and selling it as it was.

I haven't checked my Shack since it first came, but will have a gaze through again when the Xtradecal sheets turn up (and I spend next 12 months deciding which one to do!) I also hope that this doesn't become a regular occurrence: brand new-mould kit, we all tear into them to examine the goodies, cue more new posts about Commando mould flaws, Stuka mould flaws, or (the horror) big P-40 mould flaws. If it does, then airfix - or Hornby - will need badgering about the QC lest they suffer the ignominy of a bad rep, and every new kit release met with crossed fingers, or silent prayers, of a kit 100% fine, or pretty damned close to it.

What Mike said. I suspect that Airfix wanted to get the Shackleton out ASAP, and rushed things - with the inevitable consequences.

This seems to be becoming a habit - we've seen the problems with the canopies in the big Typhoon, the 1:72 Lightning and the Kate; I opened a C47 the other week and found a dirty great air bubble in the pilot's windscreen. The same kit also had the main spar missing - it was packed that way, because I saw that the part was missing before I opened the sealed plastic bag. This is one area where they DO need to lift their game.

I doubt very much that Airfix are complacent about this, but most of us have had at least a few Airfix quality issues and waiting for a proper 'fix' is getting frustrating.

I suspect the moulding company used by Airfix is simply not used to working to the quality standard we (or Airfix) expect. When you've made a substantial commitment to a single company producing your product, what do you actually do to improve their standards? I wonder if Airfix have direct people of their own on site to manage quality at source, or (more likely?) it's dealt with solely by the moulding companyr?

The ultimate fix if all else fails is to go elsewhere for your mouldings. That of course is a major undertaking when you have your entire product line coming through a single subcontractor, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see this happen. Whatever else Airfix have been doing to get quality straightened out doesn't seem to be working.

Cheers,

Bill.

raises the question of whether it would be worthwhile returning production to the uk where there is probably a better culture of QC;they did it with the paint range.

And the paints got worse.

• Like 2

Yes there are small problems, such as sink marks - some of them rather big (e.g.Blenheim top wings over the flaps) - and faint mold lines in most canopies. However most of these can be either easily fixed or overlooked. Considering the current low prices of Airfix kits, I can live with this.

But what I DON'T accept is the current total failure of their previously excellent spare part service! This year I have requested spare parts twice because of defects,. On both occations I promptly recieved an answer saying that these parts weren't currently available, but would be sent as soon as they became available. As of today I have been waiting in vain for a Defiant turret for eight months, and for a Blenheim IV canopy for three months. A couple of reminders have not even been answered.This is the biggest quality issue for Airfix right now!

Edited by Sten Ekedahl
  • Like 2