1/600 Revell TOS Constitution

Picked one of these up on a whim yesterday, I was nervous as I'd read all about it's accuracy issues, but when I had a look at the sprues I was very impressed. I won't post sprue pics as other people on this forum have already done an excellent job of this.

Excellent engineering of the kit - so should be a pleasure to build, yes a few shape issues, and of course, those grid canyons.

I plan to light it fully (it'd be rude not to) and to build it as a constitution class ship (not Enterprise).

My first (main dilemma) though is to fill or not to fill the grid lines?

What are your opinions on the matter?

Also if I were to what would be best filler to do it with, current I have Vallejo Plastic Putty and Mr Surfacer 500, think either of them are up to it?

• Like 1

If you do a search, you'll find my thread on this kit. For filling the trenches, I used a combination of 3M surface putty and aerosol spray filler.

If you decide to go down this route, then lay downn a good primer coat first, just to be on the safe side.

The primer coat just acts as a barrier, if you do use the 3M putty. As it's an automotive filler and you'll be using it in such large quantities, the primer coat will ensure it doesn't end up attacking the plastic. I've only had that happen once and it was with a very old kit (old plastic), but always best to be safe than sorry. ;)

Personally, I wouldn't use the Vallejo stuff. God knows how many bottles of the stuff you'd need. It's not really designed for the type of filling we're talking about here. I suspect after an amount of time, you'll just suffer from shrinkage and you'll be forever going back over it.

You might like to know that the revell enterprise isnt actually from the TOS, but as featured in a Deep Space Nine epside "Trials and tribble-ations" and the panels lines are from this model and not the original, same with the revell klingon cruiser.

A little known fact that Revell failed to mention, as it was how they got the license to do them (see pic).

Hats off to Smiffy for his beautiful build.

ds9%20enterprise_zpsved9puyo.jpg

All the best Chris

• Like 1

Yeah I'd read it was a mish mash of several different enterprises.

Googling the Jein one, I never realised how much of it obviously came from that one.

(until yesterday I'd also assumed that the DS9 Enterprise was CGI, oops.

Found this useful:

http://www.startrekpropauthority.com/2008/07/some-previously-unreleased-photos-of.html

Edited by Harrypotter