Four Nations Tornado KUTA - updated 06/02/16 Completed

nimrod54

Not as much done as I hoped this weekend. I have been waiting for some filter media for my fish tanks and that arrived yesterday, so I had to do some much needed maintenance today.

I did make a start on the first coat of camouflage on the Saudi IDS, I still need to finish the sides and then underneath. After that, a light sand and then another coat.

DSC00258_zpst6sr0mau.jpg

DSC00260_zpsrems2bzy.jpg

DSC00259_zpszsunntpe.jpg

• Like 2

Over the last few weeks I have spent some time wondering how create the two cone antennae seen on the Italian ECRs. Solutions have ranged from small pieces of stretched sprue to sections from the tops of missiles non of which proved to be suitable in shape or section. Then today I had a bit of a Eureka moment and hit on the idea of using the tips from a cocktail stick and so I give to you my conical antennae.

DSC00261_zpsm4dbqrg6.jpg

DSC00263_zpsrzq7agun.jpg

After a late session last night I have completed the Italian Tornado IDS (ECR)' the third in this series of builds, that just leaves the Saudi IDS now. Because there is some tricky masking to do on this one, I'm a little less confident about completing it on time - but I'll see how far I can get with it.

a0d13422-e06d-4c86-abbe-45ae9284b3d6_zps

a5126dad-1160-483f-8c6d-2a79f762a278_zps

​More photos over in the gallery, thanks for looking in.

• Like 2

Thanks Mish. I'm pressing on with the last one but still not sure if it will make the deadline, I hope to make a start on decals later but I think that the dangly bits will be it's downfall and that's even with me stretching things a little and going with grey Hindenbergers, BOZ and SkyShadow pods. I've seen a photo of an aircraft at Warton with grey Hindenbergers so I thought why not do the same thing with the other pods as well, which would save some time having to camouflage these bits.

Just finished adding the main decals which I have now left to dry off. There are one or two stencils still to do and then the other bits of painting and parts to sort out. I don't intend to add any armament because in most of the photos I have seen there appears to be non fitted. Here are a couple of shots to show how things stand at the moment.

DSC00309_zpsa06leykk.jpg

DSC00310_zpsrt0udxtt.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks Mish. I think that there was a bit too much work left to finish it for the deadline, but I should hopefully wrap it up over the next few days and then post the photo's in the gallery before you move it over to the completed section.

Cookie,

Thanks for your comment bud. I'm pleased with the way this one turned out, although the zig-zag decal should actually finish above the intake on the fin. If I had realised before one side had set up I would have tried to correct the position, but in the end I decided to live with the error for this one. I'm not too sure which kit Mark1 have designed the decals for so that may have had a bearing on the end result.

Hi John,

I am just catching up with your build at the very end!

This has been an impressive trio you have finished and the last one is almost done. Superb for 1/144!

Congratulations!

JR

• Like 1

Thank you for your kind comments Jean. It's a pity that the Saudi IDS didn't quite make it, but with that in mind I have decided to forego the grey underwing equipment and finish them off correctly in the three colour camouflage scheme. I made a start on the base colour this afternoon and should then be able to wrap things up over the next few days.

I have noticed that you have started a Hurricane IIc over in that STGB and that you have got the wings assembled and it sounds like your having some fun adding a little extra detail. Good luck with your build and continue to have fun.

John, you are doing the right thing. Why rush a model and half finish it for a GB? Not worth it in my book. I have only done 2 models in 1/144 scale in my life, and there was no intricate camo to deal with! And it was bad enough! I am definitely impressed.

Re the Hurricane, yes, I am having fun and I am mad to even try, considering the snail's pace of my 109 E-4 WIP... But this Hurri is indeed challenging. If I can borrow a camera (mine packed up eons ago) there should be some pix this evening or tomorrow...

Cheers

JR

• Like 1

I finally completed the stencilling on this one earlier. The Hindenberger tanks, BOZ and Sky Shadow pods have been camouflaged and the stencil data added too. Just a couple of bits of detail painting to complete and then it is final assembly time. I hope to get some photos in the gallery later but if that is not possible I will post them in Merv's Memorial Tornado Build and add a link here.

DSC00324_zps45wclojr.jpg

• Like 1

Well a week late, but finally they are all done.

DSC00334_zps2nrrbmaa.jpg

DSC00333_zpsyaizo0db.jpg

Here's a shot of all four together.

DSC00326_zpskh0c0lm1.jpg

More photos of the Saudi IDS are in the gallery and that concludes this years KUTA for me. I have enjoyed taking part and I have no doubt that I'll be back for KUTA IX, I'm sure that I will have something not completed by November. :winkgrin:

• Like 2