Four Nations Tornado KUTA - updated 06/02/16 Completed

nimrod54

This is my entry for KUTA VIII, four 1/144 Tornado's one from each of the countries that operate them. They were started for Merv's memorial GB and whilst a couple were close I failed to complete them by the date. I know that the GB remains open ended to allow further updates, but I want to get them finished off and this will hopefully give me the drive to do that.

Two of the entries may be considered a little to advanced and if that is the case then I will gladly refrain from updating those, but here goes. First up is Dragons 1/144 F.3. This is the most advanced of the builds and needs the undercarriage doors and pylons adding, plus some paint touch up before a final varnish.

CIMG3535_zpshhehenv0.jpg

The second model is Revells 1/144 Luftwaffe ECR and this needs tail planes, weapons, undercarriage doors and again a varnish coat

CIMG3536_zpsgjsft9fo.jpg

Third is an Italian ECR and needs a lot more work than the other two

CIMG3537_zpsgoxd6c6t.jpg

and finally the model that is furthest behind is this, a 1/144 RSAF IDS

CIMG3538_zpsogenpmnm.jpg

• Like 4

Tornados are always handsome looking birds :)

I have yet to build one. I think I'll do a Revell 1/72 GR.1 when the time comes.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hope you make some progress dude. Looking fourward to seeing them all together....... Getting my coat.

:rofl:

Thanks buddy, allow me to get it for you :coat::bleh: . I've actually made a bit of progress on these today - and it is a bit.

The Firebirds F.3 has had the undercarriage doors and pylons added, my ref photo shows them unloaded so no weapons on these. I had previously scratched some of the main aerials, the lights on the spine and under the nose. Then I gave some of the paintwork a touch up

CIMG3574_zpslfvj6zap.jpg

CIMG3573_zps11o3tfbm.jpg

I'm not sure about weathering this, because there is a lot of extraneous detail there. I may just give some of the panel lines a pin wash.

For the Italian ECR and the Saudi IDS I have added some masking tape harness to the seats, I hope to get these in the cockpits later.

CIMG3572_zpsuv14wrx0.jpg

Links to the previous progress can be found below

Tornado F.3 56® Firebirds

A Tri-Nation Build of Revell's 1/144th Tornado

The Italian and Saudi aircraft have now had the seats and canopies added, with the canopies receiving a couple of coats of Klear first.

CIMG3580_zps3oedfb0o.jpg

CIMG3581_zpsacuibeij.jpg

I have tried to refine the probe on the nose of these and to do this I am using some Albion Alloys slide fit micro tubing. I have drilled out the nose and inserted a small piece of 0.7mm tube, later in the build this will become a fixing point for sections of 0.5 and 0.3mm tubing before finishing with a short length 0.1mm nickel silver rod.

CIMG3583_zpsnrm4nraw.jpg

Thanks for looking.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well it's one down, three to go, I wrapped up the Luftwaffe ECR earlier today and then had a calamity when I was about to photograph it - I damaged the pitot on the nose and had to make a new one. Hopefully that will not happen with the Italian and Saudi versions because I've used a different method for these and so I can leave the fitting of this part until the very end.

Anyway here are a few photographs of the finished article.

CIMG3644_zpsalzpacwy.jpg

CIMG3647_zpsoogkjjbb.jpg

CIMG3650_zpstkqmfri6.jpg

CIMG3648_zpsh7lmadnz.jpg

CIMG3653_zpsfxwa06iv.jpg

CIMG3652_zpszhwjetwb.jpg

I am still having difficulty deciding if I should weather the F.3, but that should be the next one completed.

Edited 28/11/15

Late last night I realised that I had missed the two black panels from the wing tips, after masking the area off these were added.

CIMG3656_zpsucwxcrpz.jpg

CIMG3654_zpsgcinpqaz.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks Mish and Jaime, I am pleased with the way this has turned out.

Meanwhile the should I/shouldn't I weather the F.3 decision has been made and I decided to give it a wash of Starship Filth thinned oil paint today. Because this was a display aircraft I wanted to try and keep this light but I think this is a bit too dark. I don't generally weather stuff a lot but I feel that a lighter colour would have been better, any tips would be welcome. Photos below of progress so far.

CIMG3659_zpskvou95yk.jpg

CIMG3660_zpsll5pzqve.jpg

CIMG3661_zpsjeryjlek.jpg

CIMG3662_zpsw2l6t6wc.jpg

Next for this will be a check of the references to make sure I have everything painted this time around and then some varnish to finish it off.

I have also started to sort out the details for the Italian ECR and, after looking at photos in the Mark 1 book and decals, the aircraft I am modelling has a BOZ 107 pod on each of the outer wing pylons and these appear to be handed. To represent this I have taken one from another kit and modified that by first removing the rear portion, then I turned it through 180o and re-attached it.

CIMG3664_zpslavuc1ru.jpg

CIMG3665_zpstrv41phe.jpg

Thanks for looking in

• Like 1

Just catching up with these again John. I can't believe they're 1/144th!

Welcome back Cookie, it's good to get them underway again. I have brushed a couple of coats of varnish over the F.3 and that is drying now. I may get some photos taken later, so that will be halfway there.

Meanwhile the should I/shouldn't I weather the F.3 decision has been made and I decided to give it a wash of Starship Filth thinned oil paint today. Because this was a display aircraft I wanted to try and keep this light but I think this is a bit too dark. I don't generally weather stuff a lot but I feel that a lighter colour would have been better, any tips would be welcome.

Hi John,

Maybe you could try to tone down the panel lines with a dark or medium grey wash. Just an idea.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Hi John,

Maybe you could try to tone down the panel lines with a dark or medium grey wash. Just an idea.

Cheers

Jaime

Thanks Jaime, I have another of these to do so I will give that a try on that build. Do you have any suggestions for washes? I was looking at Flory's or Ultimate Products but need to check to see if they do a grey colour.

• Like 1

Hi John,

I've been using Vallejo's acryllic washes. They can be applied directly or thinned with acryllic thinner (I use Tamiya's X20A). They dry quickly and can be removed with water. They should be applied over a gloss coat and shouldn't be allowed to dry more than 10 minutes, otherwise they become difficult to remove.

Anyway, your Dragon Firebirds F.3 looks great as is.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Thanks for your advice Jaime. I think that you are right about the grey wash, it would have looked better particularly on this pale grey's scheme. I haven't tried Vallejo's washes so I'll look at getting some of those along with some Tamiya thinner.

Cheers

• Like 1

Hi John,

I am impressed! Not only do you go for nano modelling, but you choose commemorative schemes that must be real fun to put together in that scale!!!

The end result is rather special though!

Congrats

JR

Looking lovely John. Query how do make you bases?

Thanks Davek72. The bases are made using some cheap coasters, purchased from Wilkinson's, and then I use a 1/144th Mark 1 Models base to cover them (some of these are also available in 1/72) and this is held on with double sided tape. After that I trim away any excess with a sharp blade. HTH

Link to bases below.

Mark 1 Bases

You may also find something of a suitable size on the internet that you could print out.

• 1 month later...

Still trying to wrap these up before next weekend. The Italian ECR should be completed over the weekend, but it is the wrap-around camouflage of the Saudi Tornado that could slow things down, if I can get some acrylic colours over the weekend then I may be in with a chance.

​So the Italian aircraft still needs a bit more detail painting along the wing, fin and tailplane leading edges and then all of this assembling to finish that off.

DSC00256_zpsfmw9f6iv.jpg

The Saudi Tornado has had a base colour added to the Fuselage, Wings and Tailplanes, but there is still plenty to do.

DSC00257_zps516vcmxx.jpg

Thanks for stopping by.

• Like 2