Turtle Submarine

I was captivated by Micro Mir's recent release of the American War of Independence submarine Turtle. Accordingly I have spent the last few weeks knocking this one together.

I corrected the kit's inaccurate conning tower and rudder mechanism, replaced the poorly moulded reinforcement banding on the hull, rivets applied individually, and scratch built the shafts for the propellers and mine spike from Albion Alloys' slide fit brass tubing.

Thanks for looking.

Martin

fdfe6387-e7c1-43f4-875b-ad3a66a9186f_zps

t1_zpsh58a2utz.jpg

t3_zpsd3nkxixl.jpg

• Like 22

Thanks Keith, I really enjoyed the build, it is one of those kits that once you have picked it up, it is almost impossible to put down again. It was a bit tricky to build as it is no larger than a large hen's egg. The hull comes in clear plastic which leads me to believe that Micro Mir have a cut away version up their sleeves. Bring it on says I!

Martin

Another nice job Martin !!! Particularly like the wood finish. Is there any interior detail, as I presume there will be with the pending of the cut away version :pipe::)

BillyD

• Like 1

Thanks Guys. There is no interior detail in the kit, it is just the fact that Mikro Mir have gone to the trouble of moulding the hull in clear plastic that strongly suggest that they have a cutaway version in mind. If they don't then I am sorely tempted to have a go myself anyway, such is the level of enjoyment I got from this kit.

Martin

Really nice Martin. Where did you get any references used? I didn't know there are some inaccuracies - useful to know when I start mine in the future. I'd never even heard of it until I saw it at eDay in Prague and had to snap it up

• Like 2

Really nice Martin. Where did you get any references used? I didn't know there are some inaccuracies - useful to know when I start mine in the future. I'd never even heard of it until I saw it at eDay in Prague and had to snap it up

Clearly there are no photos of the original and almost all drawings and descriptions differ to a greater or lesser extent. Mikro Mir's box top art differs from their instructions and the colour diagram differs from both! Get the problem?

What I did was go with those descriptions that did seem to agree with each other, for example, the layout of portholes on the conning tower and a modern working replica.

Martin

• Like 1

Thanks Foxy, the reason I have been submerged as you put it is simply that it is the time of the year when one has to knuckle under and get stuff finished for Telford.

Martin

Lovely little submersible beer keg Martin...must admit was sorely tempted when I saw it had been released as it's right up my alley :coolio: !...(great wood effect, really looks the part).

I would go for it, you will have loads of fun building it. I spent about three weeks on mine and loved every minute of the build. As far as I am concerned Mikro Mir can bring on some more pioneer submarines as soon as they like!

Martin

• Like 2

As far as I am concerned Mikro Mir can bring on some more pioneer submarines as soon as they like!

And I think they will on their current form. Their current portfolio also includes some fascinating looking one man/midget subs in 1/35 - perfect!

• Like 1

I corrected the kit's inaccurate conning tower and rudder mechanism, replaced the poorly moulded reinforcement banding on the hull, rivets applied individually, and scratch built the shafts for the propellers and mine spike fro Albion Alloys' slide fit brass tubing.

So you did not have much to do then Martin :winkgrin:

but my you have done a fantastic job on this little gem of a kit looks spot on with the little display base.

Beefy

• Like 1

And I think they will on their current form. Their current portfolio also includes some fascinating looking one man/midget subs in 1/35 - perfect!

Thanks Andy, I keep prodding them to do Garrett's Resurgam, perhaps if a few more did likewise they might give in.

I corrected the kit's inaccurate conning tower and rudder mechanism, replaced the poorly moulded reinforcement banding on the hull, rivets applied individually, and scratch built the shafts for the propellers and mine spike fro Albion Alloys' slide fit brass tubing.

So you did not have much to do then Martin :winkgrin:

but my you have done a fantastic job on this little gem of a kit looks spot on with the little display base.

Beefy

Nah! pretty much straight from the box for a change! Seriously though thanks for the compliment.

Martin

• Like 1