Focke-Achgellis Fa-330

I got this kit at Telford last year and at once knew that I wanted to build it for this year's SMW. It was a bit fiddly as every detail added to the model would be seen ad as those details were added to the model, the harder it became to handle without breaking anything.

Added details include scratch built instrument panel, pitot assembly, rudder pedals, control column and linkages, telephone equipment, most of the fuselage framework has been replaced, turnbuckles added from Albion Alloys' aluminium tubing and extra detail added to the rotor head.

Seat belts are from Radu Briznan's HGW range.

Thanks for looking

Martin

f3_zpsoloyjhcz.jpg

f2_zpsvh0igukg.jpg

f4_zpsf5sysafn.jpg

• Like 20

Lovely model and base, adding all that detail is really worth it..

It is an interesting little device, but would have taken a brave man to go up in it, risking that his submarine might have to dive and leave him to his fate.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind comments Guys. Sadly the figure does not come with the kit, it took e ages to track down a suitable figure in this scale. I ended up finding a company, the name of which escapes me at the moment. All I can remember is that the company is based in Spain. will try and find out who it was and post it here.

Martin

Great to see something different Martin, lovely job ..looks a tad lethal but that's how we like 'em round here !... (seems like Roy Cross has you surrounded :winkgrin: )...

Thanks Melchie. Indeed I am surrounded by Roy Cross stuff in the man cave, it is all part of a cunning plan. All the walls of the man cave are covered either with shelves containing the kits I enjoyed as kid or have bagged Airfix kits of the same pinned to them. If I get the urge to build a kit for nostalgic reasons all I have to do is reach out and start building. Otherwise it makes for great decoration.

And another gorgeous build! You seem to have a little production line going there :D.

Thanks John. its mostly the SH-34 and Tracker of my long term Karel Doorman project but it is very unusual for me to finish two kits in a year and my Haunebu may well make it three! That's unheard of for me.

Martin

• Like 1

That looks lovely Martin, I didn't know there was a kit of this. Makes me want to build my Flettner :)

Given that you've demonstrated the necessary level of madness bravery madness, you should see if you can find an Fa-223 - I believe Special Hobby and Huma do one...

Will

• Like 1

Follow that passion!

Indeed, I find that if one is passionate about a subject one always ends up with a better model.

That looks lovely Martin, I didn't know there was a kit of this. Makes me want to build my Flettner :)

Given that you've demonstrated the necessary level of madness bravery madness, you should see if you can find an Fa-223 - I believe Special Hobby and Huma do one...

Will

Thanks Will, I won't dispute the term madness.

He already has the 1/48 Special Hobby kit in the stash, it would be great to see it built Martin.

It would indeed Nigel, I just have to come up with a way of making a secure joint between the forward and rear fuselage sections. The kit relies on four tiny L shaped pieces of plastic that butt join which won't stand any handling. This is probably why I have only ever seen one of these built up at a show, even the kit reviews at the time said that this was a problem with the kit.

Martin

The kit relies on four tiny L shaped pieces of plastic that butt join which won't stand any handling. This is probably why I have only ever seen one of these built up at a show, even the kit reviews at the time said that this was a problem with the kit.

My thinking is that brass rod suitably shaped and doweled into the bulkheads of the kit would sort this problem out. Maybe a little soldering would come into the equation as well. Just my :2c: as usual.

• Like 1