Jump to content

As a result of the close-down of the UK by the British Government last night, we have made all the Buy/Sell areas read-only until we open back up again, so please have a look at the announcement linked here.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Recommended Posts

Going to try and get this one in, hopeful the few blemishes on this kit wouldn't gobble up too much time.

Should have researched before pulling the trigger. Being their newer tool, first problem are the IP decals which are too big. Easy fix though, just trim them after application.

22253863239_cbe7591b47_b.jpg

After some research, the above was confirmed by others. The next blemish to discover was the wing root detail was missing on the starboard fuselage, but beautifully rendered on the port half section.

21819516843_4454f3cda3_b.jpg

Last one isn't that much of a problem (usual to putty and sand this area anyways), but the engraved panel lines on both fuselages just trail off to nothingness:

21819519983_69d9e3720c_b.jpg

regards,

Jack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you've summed up nicely all the major but in fact minor faults in that pretty, little kit. Even the wingroot, I believe, was fixed in the later E-7 variant. Have fun! V-P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny you mention these problems.

I checked both my kits and the wing roots are fine on both sides... Lucky?

I have nonetheless heard that complaint from several azimuths. Maybe it was a faulty batch?

Re the IP decal, I am busy drilling holes in a thin plasticard... But that may not work! The IP decal is where Airfix lets the modeller down. But it is rather a minor drawback.

A beautiful kit. Have fun with it!

JR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks gents, and also for the heads up on possible rectification on the later E-7 boxing.

Yeah, using the decal on your own scratch built instrument panel won't go, as it will prevent the fuselage halves from properly closing together, and that in turn won't squeeze into the wing sub assembly. In fact, I had to sand slightly the sides of the cockpit assembly so that the two fuselage halves properly enclose it.

regards,

Jack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is my solution for the missing wing root detail:

21849969873_478f708ddf_b.jpg

1. Four layers of masking are taped together, and then cut into strips to make a masked trough for Tamiya's liquid surface primer.

2. Brushed on three layers, waiting about 2 mins each time as well as another short wait before removal of tape.

3. After drying overnight, a few passes with some fine sandpaper. A sewing needle is used to create holes for the final details.

I think once the whole aircraft is primed, that will really tell how successful this solution was. Also, once painted, the root areas is dark while fuselage is light grey - so that helps give the illusion of separated detail.

regards,

Jack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welp, thought I could get the primer on by Tuesday, but even that won't happen till after the due date.

So final update here, but will continue to work on this in celebration of the BoB 75th Anniversary.

22588825166_65828b9a0c_b.jpg

1 - shot of the pilot before encasing him in glass. The figure needs to be seated in place before joining the fuselage halves. I opted to wait till afterwards, and had to chop off his boots and carve his rump a little to fit him in.

2 - the pilot armour did not include the upper curved portion, so added a strip of sheet plastic 010" . The kit part was also thinned to about a third of it's original thickness.

3 - center and aft section of canopy in place. For the gun sight, the clear glass is created from a section cut from a plastic baggie.

4 - the kit includes a separate set of the main landing gear for the wheels up position, but didn't utilize it as I didn't like the look - there is a solid block of plastic between the bottom of the door and wheel. So hocked some tires from a Tamiya kit and just used the regular landing bay covers.

regards,

Jack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...