Meteor 7½ plus a bit of a 10

I was hoping to get started on this earlier but work etc keeps getting in the way. The plastic is probably very familiar so I won't go into any more detail than this photo.

787adf90-af48-4b3a-9183-f61a82e86747.JPG

I'll be doing it as the scheme shown here on the instruction sheet. VW411 was a trials aircraft used by RAE Bedford and apart from being one of the T7s with an F8 style tail also had a PR10 nose although the camera ports were painted over. Add in a nice bright blue colour scheme and a scorpion on the tail, a zap from a visit to a Dutch Air Force base, and I think it should result in a very different looking Meteor.

There will be a bit of surgery to turn the 'normal' T7 fuselage into VW411 but it should be easy enough.

Steve

Edited by BritJet
Re-link photos - thanks PhotoMuppet
  • Like 2

Nice choice Steve. I built a model of this about 12 years back using the Aeroclub T7 conversion onto the Matchbox Meteor with an Aeroclub PR nose.

The biggest issue I had to contend with was the actual colour. Different photos show differing colours due to printing ink variations. I think MPM suggest a colour do they not?

Nige B

The quoted colour is Gunze H35 but I don't have that so will find something else. I don't like acrylics anyway so that's not a problem.

Just to add to the colour issue VW411 also had a lighter blue scheme before this scheme.

I got the nose and tail cut off and the cockpit parts painted.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Not had any time lately for this but managed to get a bit done today.

resized_c98bbc0d-f012-49f2-b174-bd1cb5fa

The panel line I cut the tail at seems to be about 1mm too far forward as the new tail doesn't fit properly at this point. Simple fix of adding a bit of plastic card and shaping to make up the difference.

Steve

Edited by BritJet
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Well I thought this would be a quick build and it might be if I could actually get to build it! Far too much going on at the moment to give any serious amount of time to this but I managed to get a bit more done tonight;

resized_f959a908-b1a1-4dfc-bca4-b5b82efd

The PR nose is probably the worst fitting part of this kit, so plenty of filler to blend it in. I don't need the camera ports to be clear anyway as they were painted over on VW411

resized_e9956d2e-13f3-4fa4-ab98-8998d1f3

Once that's all set I'll get it sanded down.

Steve

Edited by BritJet

Soon got the filler rubbed down, on with the canopy masks and then a quick squirt of primer;

resized_8f9b146e-8931-421f-9818-f8f2c343

resized_a8b694e4-0b2d-496a-8d47-d1228ccc

Couple of bits to sort out and then some gloss blue;

resized_d1f571cf-b139-46e1-b05e-e4bb27db

resized_f1eabd5c-58aa-4dd3-b0bd-0c85d7a2

Steve

Edited by BritJet
  • Like 3

After leaving the blue to harden off for a couple of days, I took the canopy masking off and have applied the markings. Need to do the stencils next and get the undercarriage fitted.

resized_4f08733d-23d0-437f-a9e2-d1ecf3e8

Steve

Edited by BritJet
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

That looks as though it is going to be something special.

And it is. How on earth did you get that canopy so beautifully painted, even with the masks? Your Meteor is a thing of true beauty.