WD790 - Rasberry Ripple Meteor

I can't believe no one has gone for this one already, so baggsy first dibs. This is the Xtrakit (ex Matchbox) NF.11 plus the Airdecal Raspberry Ripple Fixed Wing decals, the Alleycat resin nose and the Airwaves photoetch.

WD790001_zpsjycxtyui.jpg

WD790 was a radar test bed which I believe was used in the TSR.2 programme. It was painted in a couple of schemes, though I will complete it (I hope) in the Rasberry Ripple scheme. The nose section is now preserved at the North East Aircraft Museum (been there, got some photos) though the rest was scrapped or used for spares to support the original Vintage Pair Metoers.

Please don't expect to see rapid results, I have a lot on at the moment, but I will have this done for the deadline.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good afternoon all, I am back to the Metoer after finishing the Honda 350/6 which has taken me far too long.

I have managed to get the Aeroclub etch to fit with a little adjustment here and there and I have added some scratch built bits here and there. I have added bulkheads in to the cockpit and have removed the block of plastic in front of the pilot's seat. In place of the lum I made a representatuion of the prominent wheel cover, but in 72nd you can only see a tiny bit of it when the fuselage is together.

WD790004_zpsgrqypnkk.jpg

I have reshaped the seats to give them a better shape, closer to the originals, but filing off the mouldings at the back.

WD790006_zpsox5sz3pk.jpg

WD790 didn't seem to have any cannons fitted in the reference photos I have found, so I will remove these. One set removed, one set still to be taken off - mmmm..... those gaps in the intake to nacelle fit will take some filling.

WD790003_zpsqqrbmyhm.jpg

This is where I am with the added detail so far, some scratch building to represent the 'bits' on the front of the engines added too:

WD790005_zpszhsll7kj.jpg

Why I did the engine bits I really don't know, they will be well buried:

WD790002_zpsjcrzcnxn.jpg

Sometimes it is useful to have an extra pair of hands to help with fiddly bits, but extra paws aren't quite so useful....

cat1_zpsrecar9td.jpg

As an aside, I know that WD790's front fuselage in the NE aviation Museum has duals fitted but there aren't wenough bits in the kit or on the etch to make up a second set of controls, so I have just used what is available. If it should have had duals then I beg forgiveness.

• Like 3

Cockpit painted. I have added some detail to the sidewalls using the photos of 790's cockpit as it is now as a reference. Everything was sprayed Model Air matt black and then dry brushed with grey enamel to ease the darkness a little.

WD790007_zps3nwxa2ca.jpg

WD790008_zpsnoe8wrvv.jpg

WD790009_zpsev3wkbzt.jpg

The etch instrument panels were held over the kit panels and the black sprayed. The etch panels were lifted off leaving the black circles where the instrument dials are. The details are painted on the dials and the etch panels fixed in place with Klear. A few extra painted details and voila. Not quite Eduard pre-painted, but not too bad.

WD790011_zpsb6p9zdw7.jpg

WD790010_zpsqtpv3to2.jpg

Lots of the detail is hidden but there is enough for the cockpit to look rasonably busy. The insert for the top of the fuselage is to allow the NF11/12 or the NF14 to be built as the top of the fuselage was slightly different for each. More gaps to deal with.

WD790013_zpsyeo5qkwh.jpg

WD790012_zpslwozxf5n.jpg

• Like 4

A wee bit more progress has been made. The main sub assemblies are made and the process of filling the gaps, the yawning great chasms of gaps, and the filing and sanding of the steps where parts don't line up has begun.

With the fuselage pieces glued together it seemed to be reasonably balanced without too much risk of it being a tail-sitter, but it's better safe than sorry. I had made a bulkhead in front of the cockpit so I could add some nose weight without it being pushed back in to the cockpit itself. The space this made was filled with small lead shot and plasticine:

WD790014_zps7xayexpx.jpg

The plug was cut off the resin nose leaving a little bit to locate into the forward fuselage and it was ready for a straightforward fit to the front of the fuselage. The bottom of the plug was filed flat so it would fit above the nose wheel shelf:

WD790015_zpsvwrhzy4e.jpg

Did I mention gaps? This is the one at the aft end of the cockpit insert:

WD790016_zps3dq2ah49.jpg

And these around the front of the cockpit and the nose:

WD790017_zpsu9aawjo7.jpg

In some areas the parts were short-shot:

WD790018_zps6165bjnz.jpg

The overlaps were accompanied by gaps as well, and the front and rear pieces for the engine nacelles were particularly bad. Gaps were all filled with a superglue and talc mix, flashed off with accelerator and filed and sanded down. This is a before and after photo of the nacelles, with final gap filling and tidying up still to do:

WD790019_zps5hduxecd.jpg

With the fuselage gaps filled and the filler smoothed out the gaps look much better. Once they have been primed the last cleaning up can be done, but they're looking much better:

WD790020_zps0zbbjd28.jpg

Mmmm.... did I say the resin nose was a straightforward fit? Not quite. I needed to put shims of plastic in to the upper and lower fuselage at the front, something I didn't discover until I fitted the nose with superglue, much like the F.8 prone pilot builds in this GB. Getting that apart was not fun, but it was done without inflicting too much damage. Gaps filled, all rubbed down:

WD790021_zps4snyrono.jpg

Can I get this finished for this year's yearbook? We shall see.

• Like 2

I keep forgetting this is a WiP post! After some more assistance from Tom the cat I have actually done some more on the Meteor. At last year's Huddersfield show me ole mate Mark from 580 Modellers couldn't believe I had never used Mr Surfacer, so I got some promising myself I would try it some time. This is some time. Gaps have been filled with a mix of superglue and talc, perfect plastic putty and Mr Surfacer 500. You can see what the gaps were like in the photos below.

WD790024_zpspcsguxsj.jpg

Masking the canopy was not fun. If I ever get around to my Bv141 or my Fw189 in the stash I am going to invest in some pre-cut masks.

WD790022_zpsy586i5gl.jpg

Wing root, cockpit insert and engine cowling gaps all filled and cleaned up:

WD790023_zps0q73jopf.jpg

The model is primed in white and once it is dry the Appliance White will go on. More soon.

• Like 2

More progress has been made. I did a bit of work through the last week and have set about the model this weekend. The undercarriage is quite simple, fair enough as is will be hidden underneath, and the wheels are wrong. The port side of each wheel should have the brakes so the lighteninng holes only show on the starboard side. Oh well. As Matchbox intended with paint and before additions...

WD790025_zpsopyiixuw.jpg

With additions and a dark wash...

WD790025a_zpswne78kjd.jpg

The canopy has had the handles added from fine wire, using photos of the original taken at the NE Aviation Museum as a reference:

WD790026_zps1uywx0nl.jpg

...and the internal frame was added from plasticard:

WD790027_zpsu5mkjpzy.jpg

The lower frame will be added with the support when the canopy is fitted at the end of the build, so I can line it up with the cockpit structure. The canopy will be posed open. For the time being the canopy is placed over the cockpit to keep dust out:

WD790028_zps8pbvzvz0.jpg

More soon.

• Like 4

Very nice Natter, almost there! Only a week left but I think you've got this.

Michael

What now? Well The forward undercarriage location was gone in the midst of the filler so I used a couple of pieces of wire to provide positive support. As you can see, the forward undercarriage 'bay' is non existent on this kit. The main undercarriage was better supported that I thought, though the support struts are more representative than accurate. (I have touched up the chipped blue paint).

WD790029_zpszvfrqop0.jpg

The forward fuselage at the NE Aviation Museum has a panel around the back of the rear cockpit and I replicated this with a trimmed offcut from photo etch fret. The PVA isn't dry in this photo:

WD790030_zpsaxmfyqx8.jpg

The support strut and the cockpit frame have been modelled from plasticard and Albion Alloys tube and provide good support for the open canopy:

WD790035_zpshuuyktzy.jpg

WD790036_zpsbved9spt.jpg

The whip aerial is from fine wire, the UHF aerial is plasticard, the anti-col light is painted plastic rod and the pitot is Albion Alloys tubes. It looks like this:

WD790031_zpsejtx9lep.jpg

A couple more can be found in the Gallery. Done.

• Like 6

I did this kit OOB (Matchbox boxing) and found it to be a pain...your build and finish is excellent!

Thank you. There are a couple of builds on BM, as well as this one, which show how awful the fit is and how much filler is needed. I am pleased with it though, it brings some colour to the display cabinet!

• 5 months later...

I've only just seen this but wanted to say a belated Bravo! I'm currently wrestling with the Marchbox original so appreciate the effort you've put into is one. The results look superb.

Tony