Tamiya Lancaster

I must be mad.

Without trying it I would never know; I am rather hoping it gives the cockpit a better appearance . . .

22512248359_4d1f4e286c_z.jpg

Square timber frame rearmost and tubular for the front section. It will all be constructed before painting and glued in place.

Its my intention to have the cockpit window open so I will be placing 'a runner' at the top of each opening and on the fuselage wall so I can firmly secure the window itself. The white runners are just shown for positioning, I have yet to paint before fixing . . .
22740846800_158025c066_z.jpg
Edited by Mancunian airman
  • Like 2

I have been looking at the undercarriage lever which is adjacent to the pilots seat, (R H side behind the Elevator trim control), I have seen it modelled but painted RED ?

Does anybody have a good photo of it and a suggestion for a 'proper' colour ??

many thanks

I have been looking at the undercarriage lever which is adjacent to the pilots seat, (R H side behind the Elevator trim control), I have seen it modelled but painted RED ?

Does anybody have a good photo of it and a suggestion for a 'proper' colour ??

many thanks

have a look at the 360 degree I posted before

http://www.pan3sixty.co.uk/portfolio/avro-lancaster-kb889-at-duxford/

Or, start a thread in the WWII section, or search for more pics of F-Freddie, as that is unrestored and there must be more shots of that.

Thanks again Troy

Still not convinced that the U/G lever was Red, would that be a modern H&S thing for preserved aircraft ??

Just a bit of progress

The grab-rail into the nose; I have seen B/W photos that do contrast but not bright enough to say for certain that it was yellow. I don't doubt some were but not all of them . . .

22952048945_eaba27ce75_z.jpg

Also painted up the holders of sorts adjacent to the pilots position, added a little detail onto his seat by the armour plate and also decided to create the Nav's working lamp over his desk . . .

22952047995_8ea6039ab6_z.jpg

Thanks again Troy

Still not convinced that the U/G lever was Red, would that be a modern H&S thing for preserved aircraft ??

Just a bit of progress

The grab-rail into the nose; I have seen B/W photos that do contrast but not bright enough to say for certain that it was yellow. I don't doubt some were but not all of them

For a flying aircraft, maybe. For a static museum exhibit, no.

From what I can see of F-Freddie, DV372, the colours look to be the same as the Duxford 360. Red is certainly used on the IP, some googling has not turned up a shot of that side of the cockpit, but plenty of others.

eg

4317607328_561012ae61_b.jpg

and more

http://flickrhivemind.net/Tags/dv372,lancaster/Interesting

Note, regarding hand rails

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234959603-lancaster-handrail-colour-the-lancasters-yellow-version-of-the-spitfires-red-crowbar/

Here is an interior shot of the IWM Lanc I took in July 2011. At the time it looked to me that it had been untouched in years

DSCF1820.jpg

Trevor

But, ask in the WWII section, we have a fair few Lanc buffs here. eg Galgos, Miggers, who may well know.

PS this vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iua49gCA6A

at 16.30 -17.30 there is some period colour film, probably post VE Day though, some inside, which maybe of interest.

Looks great to me and I`ll be watching with interest,.....the rail in the BBMF Lanc is yellow but whether this is accurate for a wartime Lanc I`m not sure.

Cheers

Tony

I have gone with the majority . . .

22612115299_ff476e4b37_z.jpg

I have also had this purposely built recently to accommodate this and a second aircraft, yet to be built, the two 72nd scale just there to give an impression . . .

22383131943_cb622b1450_z.jpg

there is some landscaping to do and also to populate with airfield 'furniture. :coolio:

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

This photo shows that the Wireless operators SQUARE window needs to be moved rearward and the red lines indicate roughly where. The thin black line shows the demarcation of the camouflage, top/bottom, and the Navigators OVAL window should be below this line . . .

20204491993_5fc84c149d_z.jpg

Ready for the drilling out . . .

22658283113_fff20a8d17_z.jpg

The original square window filled in . . .

22917479839_8bf4bf951a_z.jpg

• Like 3

I have attempted to landscape the dispersal area with in the cabinet . . .

22941449929_499d6fcd10_z.jpg

I intend to have the cockpit window(s) open so I have put in the runner along the fuselage wall

23283086286_c52a9460fa_z.jpg

I am slowly progressing with the cockpit internal framing, a bit slow progress cos of living another life; when completed I will post pics

• Like 1

I have done a bit more since this photo was taken . . .

I think I have realised that its not necessary to do the whole thing, as currently, one get the impression that there is some in there. I would perhaps next time use 20 thou rod.

23293423421_056418f813_z.jpg

I am also constructing some 48th scale engine trestles to have along the dispersal, post some photos of them tomorrow showing their current (part) build. Must be mad :mental:

This is as far as I am going with the canopy framing . . .

22826341364_73edb9f180_z.jpg

If I did it again I would use thinner rod and strips only because it would be easier to manipulate I think.

As an extra for the diorama I am constructing some engine trestles . . .

22826342324_94cd21d7f6_z.jpg

• Like 1

A bit of progress on the 48th engine trestles to compliment the Lancaster at dispersal . . .

22884228324_a18c10378b_z.jpg

The taboo arms, in grey, for the mid-upper turret; needs a roller on the end of each to complete . . .

23512535585_b59bf00b01_z.jpg

Note the ONE ring of the frame around the middle of the turret :winkgrin:

• Like 2

This was the first kit I built so it brings back a lot of memories. Very well done getting the nacelles to fit that well to the upper wing! The rest is also great of course but I remeber sanding and filling those seams over and over way to clear haha.

Erik

Thanks Erik

I hope that when the fuselage halves come together they dont bring forth many issues.

I am not always at home so cant give this build the regular attention it needs but I am slowly getting there.

The engine trestles and another vehicle I am building alongside the Lancaster offer short-term builds that dont require the long term work of the Lancaster, ie. filling, filing etc

As an extra for the diorama I am constructing some engine trestles . . .
22826342324_94cd21d7f6_z.jpg

where did the engine trestles plans come from?

are these made of rod and strip? What diameter rod did you use?

great work, they look really good.

cheers

T

Troy

Plan is mine, drawn from measurements taken of two existing engine trestles 'found' at my local airfield. Measured in inches and converted to 48th scale. For the frame I used 30thou rod, square axle 40thou and planking sheeting 7m scale.

Ossington

I took a chance on these . . . I particularly like the fact that they are quite narrow

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-48th-scale-Gaz-pickup-replacement-wheels-and-tyres-ACE-model/321906133324?_trksid=p2060778.c100275.m3474&_trkparms=ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140813110652%26meid%3D9a08fc7c7fa346ad80d3c9451ee0c723%26pid%3D100275%26

I am totally unsure about the true colour, the examples I came across were Yellow.

I find it hard to think that any were repainted in civilian life.

On the film 'Night Bombers' I think they were green with a yellow top rail. (I have yet to build the top section on mine)

RAF Blue seems unlikely unless anybody know definitely ??

I seem to remember in the early 70's when I was at West Raynham they were a military green

Troy

Plan is mine, drawn from measurements taken of two existing engine trestles 'found' at my local airfield. Measured in inches and converted to 48th scale. For the frame I used 30thou rod, square axle 40thou and planking sheeting 7m scale.

very interesting. I'm sure other members would be interested in the dimesions. Would you post a scan of the drawings with dimensions ?

olympic1911, on 13 Dec 2015 - 6:09 PM, said:

Perhaps you might want to paint them in RAF blue?

Peter

seems most RAF ground equipment during the war was camouflaged, or a camo colour.

I am totally unsure about the true colour, the examples I came across were Yellow.

I find it hard to think that any were repainted in civilian life.

On the film 'Night Bombers' I think they were green with a yellow top rail. (I have yet to build the top section on mine)

RAF Blue seems unlikely unless anybody know definitely ??

I seem to remember in the early 70's when I was at West Raynham they were a military green

back on page 1...

for a dio, here is a link to Etienne du Plessis Flickr of WW2 colour photos, this is the Lancs

https://www.flickr.com/search/?w=8270787@N07&q=lancaster

a wealth of detail with some useful colour guide as well

eg

14306225714_03f6b7a17a_z.jpg

in the link there's this

16740138237_877522d507_z.jpg

green with yellow detail. Wonder why the hub is yellow?

another shot in the link shows wooden trestles.

Would be worth a look trough Etienne's Flickr at other bomber station shots for more examples.

• Like 1