RAF / RN Phantom weapon load photographs

Mark

Hi all,

I think most of us have seen this:

6344395476_a748eb73ab_b.jpg

The normal configuration seems to be 4 x AIM-9L and 4 x Aim-7 with tanks on the outer pylons and a SUU-23 on the centreline. But I am looking for alternative weapon loads for the British Phantoms. Something a little different, Matra Rockets pods or the 1000lb bombs would be good. If any of you could point me in the right direction for some good photographs, I'd really appreciate it.

Many thanks,

• Like 2

I have just had a look through the Phantom Squadrons book by Dick Ward published by Linewrights and there are a few in there with rocket pods and bombs mounted on TERs (or whatever the RAF equivalent is). I also looked through the Osprey Air Combat book on the Phantom F-4K and M but that shows mainly either empty inboard pylons or ones fitted with CBLS.

• Like 1

The normal configuration you mention (4 Sidewinder and 4 Sparrow/Skyflash) was the one used by squadrons tasked with air defence duties. The first use of the Phantom in the RAF however was ground attack and recce with Nr. 2, 6, 14, 17, 31, 41 and 54 Squadron. 2 and 41 Sqn were the ones doing recce,

If you want to represent an RAF aircraft with an AG load, you have to choose one of these units.

Edited by Giorgio N
  • Like 1

Travel pod? Now that sounds interesting! Thanks for the replies guys, I'll have a look for the books mentioned and Duncan, thanks for that info! I'm doing a FGR.2 at the moment, but will be doing at least two FG.1s in the future.

Does anyone have any idea where I can get the 1000 pounders, travel pods, TERs, Matra pods etc? I've had a look in the stash and the Airfix Jaguar comes with some rather bad looking 1000b bombs. I think that the Academy Hunter had the Matra rocket pods? I'll check that in a minute, but otherwise which 1/48 RAF model aircraft kits had any decent useable underslung stuff?

The normal configuration you mention (4 Sidewinder and 4 Sparrow/Skyflash) was the one used by squadrons tasked with air defence duties. The first use of the Phantom in the RAF however was ground attack and recce with Nr. 2, 6, 14, 17, 31, 41 and 54 Squadron. 2 and 41 Sqn were the ones doing recce,

If you want to represent an RAF aircraft with an AG load, you have to choose one of these units.

54 Sqn also had a secondary recce role .......

Hi all,

The normal configuration seems to be 4 x AIM-9L and 4 x Aim-7 with tanks on the outer pylons and a SUU-23 on the centreline. But I am looking for alternative weapon loads for the British Phantoms. Something a little different, Matra Rockets pods or the 1000lb bombs would be good. If any of you could point me in the right direction for some good photographs, I'd really appreciate it.

Many thanks,

Slight mistake in your description above, they are AIM 9G not L. The L model was only used post 1982.

Selwyn

Not a refueling pod - baggage pod.

Silly me. Looked at the flat end and not the turbineless nose. Unusual config though as most are very similar to a small drop tank (pretty much how they started!)

Have seen refuelling pods on a Phantom although they were usually hanging off other winged things. (wether it was operational or not tho is another matter because very many things get hung off just for show or trials)

Edited by dpm1did1

Hi all,

Many thanks,

To my eye the load under the central fuselage is the EMI recce pod, and not the SUU-23 gun pod. After all, this is a 41 Sqn. aircraft so a recce pod is normal.

• Like 1

For strike fit the Ferranti Strike Camera pod was usual in the port Sparrow bay , the ballast in the front bays was necessary to keep the CoG correct .

The Srtike camera pod is the centre bit here looking like a wedge.

oao-72033.jpg

• Like 1

Nearly missed this as I was ignoring bomb & rocket loads, til I noticed only 3 sprogs!

Strike cameras don't always face backwards, a pointless exercise when firing rockets.

xv432.jpg

Note it's also a different design to the previous AM one posted by Sniper

Edited by dpm1did1
  • Like 1

Our ( 17 squadron ) FGR 2's normal fit would be wing tanks on the outboard stations, usually a TER on the port or starboard inboard pylon with a Matra M155 eighteen - shot rocket pod,and a CBLS practice bomb carrier on the other inboard pylon.

The centreline was fitted with the SUU 23 gun pod, unless the a/c was going overseas ( Decimomannu, Cyprus, etc. ) in which case they were fitted with centreline tanks. The port fuselage station would carry the strike camera pod, and the starboard would have the dummy Sparrow " ballast " round.

For QRA ( nuclear alert ) they would have two live Sparrows in the forward fuselage stations, wing tanks, and a "Special " weapon on the centreline. They would also carry the dummy nuclear shape in the final phases of Taceval exercises. HTH. :cheers: