Airfix 1:72 Nimrod - any good?

Skyhunter66

Thanks Stever but sorry to say you've got me totally baffled now (I'm a totally Novice modeller, only fifth kit build but learning quick). The model kit is an MR2P and I purchased the alley cat after market items but looking at the terrible pictures and instructions for the engine intake decided to leave that portion alone. I do have the Nimrod Fin, SCP intake etc and were you referring to this part? (By the way the fin I would say is made for an F16 or similar and shows absolutely no resemblance to the Nimrod's).  I apologise for being unable to send a picture of what I have but my ignorance on forum use is nearly as limited as my modelling skills haha.

This is my first time on a forum so apologies to all but thanks for a great response.

Gaza

Sorry Gaza, bafflement was not the intention.

The Airfix Nimrod can be built as an MR. 1 (kit decals for XV249), MR. 2, MR. 2P (eventually the P was dropped and the jets were simply MR. 2s) or R. 1 in the final greys camouflage.

The obvious external differences between the MR. 1 and 2 are deletion of the first oval window on the port side, introduction of the AAR (air-to-air-refuelling) probe above the flight deck, introduction of wingtip ESM (electronic support measures) pods and vortex generators ahead of the ailerons, SCP bleed air ducts from weapons bay to lower rear fuselage, SCP intake ahead of port tailplane and exhaust below this on rear fuselage and Finley’s on the t@ilplanes.  

The R. 1 is a bird of a more different feather: there was a multi-page build article in “Work in Progress” on here by Mattie Bee some time ago dealing with his conversion but I haven’t seen it for a while and it was a victim of the great Ohotobucket 3rd-party hosting scam, so no pictures.

Alley Cat’s SCP intake and fin set only contains the leading edge extension, not the whole fin, so might appear a bit inappropriate.  The leading edge extension as provided by Airfix is a (very) bit on the thick side and Alley Cat do improve a bit on this but it could be better.  Their engine set requires a lot of work: if you’re not feeling happy about cutting up your kit you could use the parts as templates for your own modifications, for example the thrust-reverser grilles are in the wrong place, as are the three blow-in doors behind them on the upper surfaces.

I can’t post images either (complete IT numpty) but I’m sure someone who can will be along shortly.  Meanwhile get on and enjoy building your Nimrod.

All the best,

Steve.