Airfix 1:72 Nimrod - any good?

Skyhunter66

Well, it's not like there are a lot of other options if you want a 1/72 Nimrod (or in any other scale for that matter). The kit appears to have been tooled by Trumpeter and fit is quite good and the surface detail is appropriately petite. There are some issues with the intakes so you would be advised to try to track down the Alley Cat intake set:

http://www.hyperscale.com/2009/reviews/accessories/ac72006creviewbg_1.htm

There are also a number of Eduard photo-etch sets for the exterior and interior:

http://www.eduard.com/store/Eduard/BAe-Nimrod-1-72.html

The kit decals are pants. They go on really badly, or they did on the one I built. Get some aftermarket decals.

thanks

Mike

I forgot how bad the decals were in this kit. This was before Airfix started using Cartograf to print their decals. There are alternate markings and stencils on several sheets available at Hannants:

https://www.hannants.co.uk/search/index.php?adv=1&product_category_id=&product_division_id=&manufacturer_id=&product_type_id=&code=&scale_id=956&keyword_search=nimrod&setPerPage=25&sort=0&search_direction=0&save_search_name=&save_search=

The kit decals are pants. They go on really badly, or they did on the one I built. Get some aftermarket decals.

Blast! I wanted to do the CORPORATE option in the kit, don't think there's aftermarket for it.

One note on the Alley Cat engine sections: for my money, the intakes are worse than the kit's. They're too like a Comet's in shape. The Nimrod had odd intakes that I can only describe as the shape of a squished TV screen (the old type before we all got flat screens). The kit's aren't ideal either, but they're closer, so when it comes to it I shall be grafting them onto the front of the Alley Cat bits, which are otherwise top-hole.

A replacement windscreen is a good idea too - improves on the shapes of the glazing and sorts out the slightly dodgy reinforcement plates. DMold went mad and did a set for the entire front end.

Replacement decals: the main player is Model Alliance, who did markings and stencilling separately. There's also Xtradecal. All plentiful at the Big Yellow Model Shop.

May I suggest you avoid the hemp and all-grey schemes, on account of they're 'orrid?

• Thanks 1

I made one for a friend who is an instructor at Cosford and actually worked on the aircraft during Operation Corporate. He wasn't particularly bothered about the inaccuracies of the kit, I don't think he noticed but he was absolutely made up when I took it to him. He offered advice on what options he wanted, flaps down, bay open, what ordnance to fit. He did recount tales of one of the maintenance staff cutting a main wiring loom too short and re-routing it to make it fit. I did a little modification using wire and string to simulate pipes and cables. A pilot friend of his who actually flew them was equally enthusiastic about the model. So, endorsement from the men who know the aircraft from the inside out is good enough for me. I still have one being prepped for construction for my own display. I know it's not perfect but now I've made one it should help me to do a better job.

http://s980.photobucket.com/user/eoslensman/slideshow/Airfix%20Nimrod?sort=3

• Like 3

I've made one nimrod and have another waiting in the wings. I would recommend using the Alleycat replacement canopy, as the kits

cockpit windows just look wrong; the set also includes paint masks and some photo-etch windscreen wipers. I didn't bother with the resin

intakes, instead I just sanded them to a more square shape. The Eduard exterior photo-etch set adds a nice bot to of detail and as others have said you'll definately be needing a new decal sheet.

Hopes this helps, gazza l

I've made one nimrod and have another waiting in the wings. I would recommend using the Alleycat replacement canopy, as the kits

cockpit windows just look wrong; the set also includes paint masks and some photo-etch windscreen wipers. I didn't bother with the resin

intakes, instead I just sanded them to a more square shape. The Eduard exterior photo-etch set adds a nice bot to of detail and as others have said you'll definately be needing a new decal sheet.

Hopes this helps, gazza l

Totally agree, In fact I would say if you can only afford one after market for this kit, the canopy is essential. The Airfix rendition really spoils the look of the finished model.

A couple of pics wot I took at Bruntingthorpe showing the Nimrod and Comet intakes..... for your modelling pleasure.

comet-intakes_01.jpg

comet-intakes_02.jpg

comet-intakes_03.jpg

comet-intakes_04.jpg

Hope these help.....

Ken

thanks Ken and yes these are really helpful. I live not far from Elvington so this is a good excuse to go down there for some research!

chris

Ok this is good stuff so thanks everyone.

So key points are replace or modify the intakes but definitely replace the canopy and decals. And it looks like Martin @ RAM has got the latter covered for me!

So I will get these items and then search around for a decently priced kit

thanks

chris

• 2 weeks later...

I got one off e-bay from a shop for 35quid a couple of weeks ago, Seems cheap compared to a cheaper example from US or Canada when you take into account P&P, if you are in the UK :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Airfix-1-72-Aircraft-Military-New-Plastic-Model-Kit-1-72-/171961029454?var=&hash=item2809ad134e:m:mCqUXIW52CmjAnDP5sk1hvA

He's still got 2 left.

I got one off e-bay from a shop for 35quid a couple of weeks ago, Seems cheap compared to a cheaper example from US or Canada when you take into account P&P, if you are in the UK :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Airfix-1-72-Aircraft-Military-New-Plastic-Model-Kit-1-72-/171961029454?var=&hash=item2809ad134e:m:mCqUXIW52CmjAnDP5sk1hvA

He's still got 2 left.

cheers - in fact i got one from Kingkit the other day for £29 and it just arrived! Lovely big kit isn't it!

I made one for a friend who is an instructor at Cosford and actually worked on the aircraft during Operation Corporate. He wasn't particularly bothered about the inaccuracies of the kit, I don't think he noticed but he was absolutely made up when I took it to him. He offered advice on what options he wanted, flaps down, bay open, what ordnance to fit. He did recount tales of one of the maintenance staff cutting a main wiring loom too short and re-routing it to make it fit. I did a little modification using wire and string to simulate pipes and cables. A pilot friend of his who actually flew them was equally enthusiastic about the model. So, endorsement from the men who know the aircraft from the inside out is good enough for me. I still have one being prepped for construction for my own display. I know it's not perfect but now I've made one it should help me to do a better job.

http://s980.photobucket.com/user/eoslensman/slideshow/Airfix%20Nimrod?sort=3

Superb - thanks for sharing

Thanks, guys, I have the Nimrod; have read of some of the problems. Wasn't aware of the decal problems; but, thanks for the info on after-market(knew about Xtradecals Nimrod sheets) ones. Especially the stencil sheets! I have checked out the Alley Cat parts; will get them in the near future.

• 2 years later...

Hi all, I realise this is an old topic in your discussion here but I am currently building an MR2 and are baffled as to what, where to and why is item 29D ? There doesn’t seem to be any positioning marks nor cut outs. If any one can remember it would be much appreciated. 

Thanks. Gary

39 minutes ago, Gaza said:

Hi all, I realise this is an old topic in your discussion here but I am currently building an MR2 and are baffled as to what, where to and why is item 29D ? There doesn’t seem to be any positioning marks nor cut outs. If any one can remember it would be much appreciated. 

Thanks. Gary

Hmm, looks a bit weird, I wonder if it’s meant to go on the underside?

A12050.04.jpg

Edited by Dave Fleming

Thanks guys, I’ve located the slot but what orientation it goes is anyone’s guess. Especially as the part isn’t square one end and the curvature doesn’t seem match. Oh well worse comes to worse I will have to fill. 

Thanks again. 

29D is the backing for the SCP exhaust on the port side of the lower rear fuselage and mine was a horror to fit too.  IIRC Airfix have the slot in the wrong place and the associated intake is undersized.  Fortunately Alley Cat come to the rescue with an appropriately-sized intake.  If you’re doing an MR. 1 it’s redundant as the SCP wasn’t installed and the exhaust slot didn’t exist, nor did the intake just ahead of the port tailplane root.

• Thanks 1