1/72 PSC Churchill AVRE with SBG conversion

All

In my youth I had the Matchbox version of this with the bridge that went up and down, so when I saw the conversion by S and S Models I had to have one http://sandsmodelsshop.com/product/172-psc-churchill-avre-sbg-conversion-offer/ and yes, I am unashamedly re-living my childhood!!

The kit comes in 13 parts:

• 8 for the bridge (a combination of lead and resin)
  • 1 A frame (lead)
  • 4 for the winch (lead)

My one aim above all else was to try and get it so that the PSC base model tank could carry the bridge into battle , drop it and then drive off, in the small scale battles I have with my young son.

This meant I had to overcome two issues – reducing the weight of the bridge and weighting the tank enough so it didn’t tip over - and also devising a mechanism by which I could attach and detach the A frame, as the two small moulded lugs on the bottom are far too small and probably too soft for the job – the A frame was the hardest bit.

On the whole the conversion was pretty straightforward but I wish I had spent time making sure the bridge parts were exactly the same length and properly square before I glued them together.

Below are some photos explaining my journey.

Enjoy!!

Andrew

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reducing the bridge's weight
I did this by drilling and filing out some of the resin in between the struts. Stupidly, I did this after I assembled it, so got the angle wrong a couple of times.

I now also wish I had spent more time with the filing out but I didn't want to risk reducing the structural integrity too much and it looks ok from a distance - you live and learn.

ChurchillAVRE_bridge1%20-%20finished_ul_

ChurchillAVRE_Bridge2%20-%20finished_ul_

Weighing the tank.
Not having a lump of heavy metal lying around, this ended up becoming a three phase process - please try not too laugh too much but I am a newbie!

1) First I filled the base with some left over 2" pin tacks and glued the hull side on without checking if it was heavy enough - this turned out to be a bad idea!

2) After scratching my head for a while, I then hit upon the idea of filling the hull (through the small turret hole) with some left over brick mortar, as it would filter down in between the gaps between the pin tacks. Fast forward an hour of painfully slow pouring the mortar into the hull, after which I then slowly adding small amounts of water to help it set. I even did the same to the turret for good measure!

3) Step 2 was almost enough. However, the slightest nudge would tip it over, so i ended up gluing some sprue off cuts to the front just in front of the tracks. Whilst you wouldn't do this for a big display model it's unobtrusive enough for war-gaming.

(Rusting pins in view)
ChurchillAVRE_top_pins%20-%20finished_ul

ChurchillAVRE_bottom_support%20-%20finis

ChurchillAVRE_bottom_support_2%20-%20fin

Converting the A frame
This was the hardest (and scariest) bit.

In the end I chopped the small lead lugs off and very carefully and very slowly drilled up inside the bottom of the lead A frame bases

I then got some thick wire, bent it half and glued it up inside the hole, so that it's possible to put it through the holes on the ends of the bridge and then split the ends to hold the bridge in place. I also added a sort length of plastic tubing as a cushion on the bottom of the A frame.

Again this is slightly obvious if you look closely!

ChurchillAVRE_Aframe2%20-%20finished_ul_

The finished article
I've used black thread for the cables as a temporary measure for test purposes and the 'block and tackle' is a small swivel joint left over from my fishing days.

I might also drill the barrel out if I'm feeling brave.

ChurchillAVRE_full_side%20-%20finished_u

ChurchillAVRE_full_full%20-%20finished_u

ChurchillAVRE_tank_side%20-%20finished_u

ChurchillAVRE_full_rear%20-%20finished_u

ChurchillAVRE_tank_front%20-%20finished_

ChurchillAVRE_rear_left%20-%20finished_u

Edited by adt70hk
  • Like 7

• 1 month later...

Nice work!

One more little detail you might want to add is the Petard loading hatch that replaced the radio operator's hatch on the left.....This caught me out when I built one many moons ago:

9285177364_a0bd6735ff_b.jpg

Your never going to believe what my next WIP is!!

A 1/76 scale Churchill Bridge Layer by Airfix!

The one thats got no turret and carries the bridge on its back.

Are you going to backdate it? :hmmm:

Great little model that! I wonder why you didn't use braided fishing line for the cable though? THAT stuff is strong enough to lift a REAL bridge!

Badder

Thanks for stopping by and your comments!!

The cotton thread was only a temporary solution to test the concept, so it will be updated and improved at some point.

Have a good festive break!!

Andrew

Nice work!

One more little detail you might want to add is the Petard loading hatch that replaced the radio operator's hatch on the left.....This caught me out when I built one many moons ago:

9285177364_a0bd6735ff_b.jpg

Are you going to backdate it? :hmmm:

Andy

Nice idea but I'm not sure it would look good. :weep: The base is filled with 1" tack pins and brick mortar (don't laugh) to weight it down!

That being said I have thought of doing another one so could always try that! I'm also tempted to have a go at another one just to try out the exhausts in the pic!! Whre did you get the pic from by the way??

Thanks as always.

Andrew

Sorry, my comment on backdating was in reference to vindicareassin's proposed future build.....The Airix kit is a Mk.VII and this type did not serve as a bridgelayer until after WWII. I believe it's a fairly simple process to backdate or kit-bash it back to the wartime Mk.III/IV bridgelayer. Not too sure about the bridge itself, but I think it's OK for WWII.

I found the picture above online, I was looking for something that shows the modified hatch for reloading the Petard Mortar. Study the left side hatch on the front upper hull, the original hatch has been replaced by a smaller one with a squarish hatch that slides forward in a frame. :nerd:

• Like 1

Sorry, my comment on backdating was in reference to vindicareassin's proposed future build.....The Airix kit is a Mk.VII and this type did not serve as a bridgelayer until after WWII. I believe it's a fairly simple process to backdate or kit-bash it back to the wartime Mk.III/IV bridgelayer. Not too sure about the bridge itself, but I think it's OK for WWII.

Nope, I didn't, I just built it as is because I was totally unaware of that fact until after I'd finished it, and someone else posted on one of my farcebook threads telling me it was post war, trouble is you tend to rely on the manufacturer having their act together when it comes to info and mouldings about a vehicle they're providing along with the supplied decals.

Personally I don't care as its still looks the beans, and only the most anal of rivet counters will lose sleep about it, borne out in that of the hundreds of 'likes' I've had on other worldwide forums and farcebook pages only 1 other person,other than your good self has even brought it up in passing conversation, let alone chastised me ;)

As displayed here, as you must of missed it the first time...... http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234992003-176-airfix-churchill-bridge-layer/

Full build log here...... http://modelerssocialclub.proboards.com/thread/10299/scale-airfix-churchill-bridge-carrier

Sorry for the thread high-jack Andrew, you can have it back now ;)

ATB

Sean

Edited by vindicareassassin

No chastisement was intended, I'd assumed that it was still in your to-do pile and thought I might raise the point, but as you have already finished (and quite beautifully too) the model, it's something of a moot point really! :winkgrin:

• Like 1