Vickers Wellesley L7717 (Matchbox 72nd)

dpm1did1

A few bits of 10thou to close gaps:

Tail where I cut away the rudder

IMAG0408_zps7qbmzi0l.jpg

Underside wing join

IMAG0412_zpsoott3jmd.jpg

Considering it's age the overall fit is quite good, especially if you don't detail the interior and risk preventing the two halves joining cleanly.

I remeber building one of these. Back in the days where it was a rush to finish the kit so you could zoom it around the room! :-)

One of today's tasks is to repaint the engine.

As clear shots of Wellesley engines are rare, invariably from the back quarter and always b&w it's currently based on the Pegasus XVIII from Cosfords HP Hampton

http://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=29053

5183736720_f6d22a25dc_b.jpg

The people you trust, same engine mark, and although not the same type it's an pre/early war RAF bomber...but seems to be in the minority (though not alone) with regards colours.

Simple job now I've attached it to the bulkhead as previously it was being very cocktailstick unfriendly and tried to roll away each time I looked at it.

Maybe then I can add the collector ring and exhaust and slivers of styrene to square off and add depth to the intake...

...never ending jobs.

Thx to Dogsbody as I nearly gave up on the repaint but now it's been noticed I have motivation again :)

• Like 1

"any customer can have a car painted any color that he wants so long as it is black"

IMAG0420_zpslefamdhf.jpg

...although technically:

1. There's no evidence Henry quoted any such statement

2. Early Model Ts were very dark green not black

3. This is 'Tar Black'- say goodbye to the trademark 3 colour plastic

Replaced the bomb aiming window covers (?), and also two projections under each wing that are very obvious in some pix but which are only present only as small bumps.

Not going to correct the shallow undercarriage bays as it will be a 'from the side/above' model. I leave such things to the less ham fisted types.

Edited by dpm1did1

Brown...acres and acres of brown...

IMAG0419_zpsbbszoydg.jpg

One rough coat of brown across the whole upper surface before pulling out the pencil for the camo demarcation, and then another coat of brown in the relevant areas.

As you can see I have chopped the canopy quite successfully, although the middle section has no chance of filling over the rear.

Still to sort the gunners lid. Matchbox has it hinged from the inside, however as I didn't fit it earlier it will need a mod to sit low enough when imposing it open.

• Like 1

Green...forests of green...

...or not!

Only greens I have are Revell 40, and Tamiya XF-11 & XF-74

I may still be tempted to throw one on just to get the experts turning in their graves :) (just a pity I don't have those old favourites Humbrols 29 & 30 to to really get the winds blowing)

Edited by dpm1did1

Shouldn't the innards be geodesic?

Selwyn

If I had extended the diagonal ribs across the roof and floor then it would be clearer as shown in here:

Wellesleyside.jpg

But if you look at the ribs I added around the centre window you'll notice pt & stb don't match...oops.

Hmmm, another one that is going to be of interest to follow.

Many of my models reflect local (to me) based units & the Wellesley served from Finningley-20 miles away, but close enough.

Haven't done the Matchbox kit for many years, so I shall enjoy this .

Regards Adrian

If I had extended the diagonal ribs across the roof and floor then it would be clearer as shown in here:

Wellesleyside.jpg

But if you look at the ribs I added around the centre window you'll notice pt & stb don't match...oops.

I'll let you off ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,just this once!

Selwyn

I'll let you off ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,just this once!

Selwyn

So very kind... :)

Don't know why I bothered anyway as the centre section is pretty invisible in this scale (even if done correctly). Oh well, at least you can see the corrected pilot and gunners seats so not completely wasted efforts.

Grabbed (yet) more paints on the way through town so hopefully I'll be able to move it along over the next few days.

• 2 weeks later...

A great little kit, always looks good even after a minimal tidy up.

Done two & still have at least 1 in the stash.

'V'