Vickers Wellesley L7717 (Matchbox 72nd)

dpm1did1

Vickers Wellesley, one of those forgotten types from the unfashionable side of modelling.

Here's the very first boxing that I will be using for the build:

IMAG0385_zpsiuixxo8m.jpg

Typical Matchbox kit, basic but accurate to the eye. I'll add a few details but won't be going rivet crazy - actually theres very few rivets in the design as it is a smaller brother to it's more famous stablemate the Wellington and shares it's fabric covered geodesic structure.

As befits the simple kit it's appears a simple build:

IMAG0386_zpsmpazon0w.jpg

Schemes are two similar green/brown birds differentiated by their engines. Option 1 is a standard short cowl Mk1, but option 2 is more interesting as it is a form generally associated with just 3 aircraft of the Long Range Development Unit that flew from England-Egypt-Australia with the longest leg being 7300miles (in 1938!). But to confuse matters the kit decals arent for one of these 3...but more on that later

IMAG0387_zpsocrh2lnn.jpg

IMAG0388_zpsvhqxbycq.jpg

Edited by dpm1did1
  • Like 3

I'm thinking of cracking open my Wellesley kit as I have somehow acquired a craving for these old but lovely Matchbox models.

Problem is I'm not sure which one to start - Wellesley, Siskin, Fury, Stranraer, Heyford, Provost, Walrus, NF Meteor or 32nd scale Venom and Lysander... (There the ones I can remember).

Now isn't that an eclectic stash of historic kits!!

Looking forward to your progress and probable inspiration.... Dave

• Like 2

Sprue time...

IMAG0389_zpsobvxd4ou.jpg

IMAG0390_zps1vcxo5ra.jpg

Not a lot to it then!

Although it appears it's an "OMG look at the exaggerated fabric effect" kit appearances can be deceptive.

Firstly the light angle on the wing makes them appear as hills and valleys rather than the subtle effect when seen close up.

Also this was one wrinkled aircraft. More obvious than the wing is the fuselage lengthways ribs that are very clearly seen to distort the lines in most pics. This is no smooth polished racing bird!

...don't panic, I had already cut off the rudder and added the larger forward fuselage sections which hold the wide chord Dowling.

Edited by dpm1did1
  • Like 1

I was going to make it a slow start but the pilots seat irked me...

As you'd expect its little more than an L-shaped afair, albeit here with an attached floor panel...but whats going on with the triangular seat back?

IMAG0391_zpsxi4tggra.jpg

Seems there's been some confusion between the chair back and the rollover structure. Firstly though lets make the L into an actual seat by adding a back and sides I can shape

IMAG0392_zpsxviwtr6h.jpg

Much better already :)

Edited by dpm1did1

A few bits of styrene rod and sheet added to fill it out a bit. These will then be painted in a 'anything but green' colour to make it appear busy when closed up

IMAG0397_zpsc17t33lp.jpg

Although the real life pix are few and hard to interpret they do reveal one thing...the Wellesley was obviously made before the words 'conduit' and " organised" became commonplace. There's boxes, wires and bits everywhere. Beware of planning to add detail to a larger scale kit! Ibthibk I'll stick with 72nd and a little 'vagueness'.

Edited by dpm1did1

Now for something different...

Engine is pretty good. Although obviously it can't compete with am AM Pegasus it is certainly better than might be seen on some modern kits. May need some minor details on the casing but I'll have to check pix to see how much.

Cowling is in 2 halves with a separate collector ring. Just a little filler but otherwise another decent part. Will separate the cowl flaps so I can bend a little and add a bit of life.

IMAG0400_zpsphesooil.jpg

• Like 1

Test fit of all the engine bits revealed no issues

IMAG0401_zpsfbi8yvhl.jpg

The hub may be slightly undersized but it's very difficult to say for certain as suitable pix of this configuration obviously aren't as common, let alone nice frontal shots of a non-running engine

Edited by dpm1did1

The clear parts are...ok...

I'll see how they respond to a hack attack before considering a vacuform replacement

I know Pavla and Falcon (set 4) do them but factoring p&p both cost more than the kit itself!

I'm reluctant to spend too much more considering I've bought 5 more kits in the last 2 days alone..oops! :)

Edited by dpm1did1

Time to start throwing more glue at plastic starting with the wings.

They appear ro be accurate although the wheel wells are shallow (I'll be ignoring them as I'm not a 'turnover and judge' modeller). About the only thing missing are the undercarriage lock indicators which are simple enough to add as the location points are clearly marked with circles. Two tiny red(?) rods on each side as a final touch won't hurt me.

IMAG0405_zpsxwk6am0g.jpg

Edited by dpm1did1

Whilst waiting to move on to wing #2 I found a problem... :)

Ok so it's a small one and probably the easiest to fix, as well as one of the most common.

The wheel halves aren't perfect matches!

Oh well, out with the liquid glue, paint and sandpaper. Round 1 complete...dry and repeat...

IMAG0406_zps8g3qmmax.jpg

Well I said it was small!