Ukrainian Su-25 Frogfoot

Muzz

With my latest build very close to completion it's on to the next build, Kopro's boxing of the Sukhoi Su-25 Frogfoot to be built as Ukrainian machine in the latest camo scheme.

20151022_113943.jpg

20151022_114002_001.jpg

And the extras...............................

20151021_154032.jpg

I'm planning on using some of the panels from the MIG-21 set on the same shaped/sized panels on this kit, mostly consisting of the round ones on the engine pods.

ede61c01-7f64-4ac4-81c6-a10b3ff57f81.jpg

ea4d419d-8c57-498b-ba78-07fd52d7fc01.jpg

And finally, what I hope will be a cracking set of decals.........

37138675-276e-405f-8ab1-e2d0575f2ad5.jpg

• Like 11

Good choice. :thumbsup:

Wait but with the construction.I have many better details. Cockpit and electronic bay from Resin Art and .... Could we meet in the Telford

• Like 1

Good choice. :thumbsup:

Wait but with the construction.I have many better details. Cockpit and electronic bay from Resin Art and .... Could we meet in the Telford

Sorry Harvy, not making it to Telford, wish I was but it's a long way for me.

Muzz

• Like 1

Sorry Harvy, not making to Telford, wish I was but it's a long way for me.

Muzz

Give me your address, and depends only on the Royal Mail when it will be with you... :winkgrin:

Is this the kit that SMER have just re-released? Looking forward to seeing the build too ;)

Hi Radleigh, yes it's the same kit which has been boxed under various different guises from OEZ, KP, Kopro, Eduard and now SMER.

• Like 1

Hi Radleigh, yes it's the same kit which has been boxed under various different guises from OEZ, KP, Kopro, Eduard and now SMER.

Lovely, will be picking one up soon, both single seat and UB.

Tempted to do one of these myself! Will follow closely.

You should do Dave, £15 from KingKit..!

Edited by Radleigh
  • Like 1

Check out the new UAF Su-25 Digital Camo paints from Akan.

I've not seen this set, I had a look a few,weeks ago but couldn't see any. I know they do the paint set for digital Su-27 scheme.

Muzz

• 3 weeks later...

Despite the lack of updates I have been making some progress on this, just not much to show, some re-scribing, riveting and decided to do something about the bare main gear bays.

58ab57c3-01cf-4a40-b6f3-88e5aba40fbb.jpg

I was wondering how to make the wheel bays more realistic instead of the plain box of the kit parts and realized the bottom of the intake trunking is visible on the real thing, so I basically got rid of the kit part but kept the area where the main gear leg locates and boxed in the bottom of the intake trunking with plastic sheet. I added some rivets and will be adding some pipes etc. Not a lot can be seen as the largest of the doors are shut unless the gear is rotating up or down.

261e64d4-44ee-4fd9-80ef-21473385371d.jpg

The intake trunking was cut, (it should be one continuous piece) this made it easier to deal with the seam inside the intakes. The piece of plastic representing the engine blades is then added blanking off the end.

3cc19a07-3051-4d9f-b139-0bde65274154.jpg

This photo shows the original kit side walls for the main gear on the left and right, the box on the left is where the gear leg locates. The plastic sheet has been riveted and turned upside down so the rivets appear raised.

02146878-eff1-40cd-85be-9319b810e5c6.jpg

I decided to add the engine pods onto the fuselage sides before joining the half's together as it was easier to get them lined up correctly. As you can see, more rivets going on.

• Like 5

This is slow going at the moment, work and family commitments getting in the way!

Some more progress with the wheel wells, not finished but the general idea's coming together.

428dee77-d8ac-4fb1-8734-ce09859e5e46.jpg

I thought I'd have a go at making some panels out of Evergreen plastic sheet, the real aircraft has quite a few raised panels. The oval shaped ones are fixed in place but the larger ones are just in place where they will go once the wings are on.

20151112_220001.jpg

There are a couple either side of the cockpit too but these ones don't have any rivets on show.

20151112_221009.jpg

20151112_222604.jpg

I've managed to obtain the chaff/flare dispensers for above the exhausts thanks to Harvy5 along with a lovely resin cockpit so I'll be working on that next.

• Like 1

Slow is good. Slow is considered. Slow is... frustrating! Get it done, I need inspiration!

Nice work on the panels though, extra ugliness works on these things, pretty they aint and I love them for it.

• Like 1

I was expecting more seam issues and a tub of filler throwing at it, but it doesnt look too bad at all. Much work/prep needed?

The fit isn't really too bad at all, the problem is generally the panel lines on each fuselage half can be off on don't meet. I managed to get the panel lines on the top lined up and the ones on the bottom of the fuselage are a we bit off. There are little if any locating tabs which makes things a bit fiddly. I've went round all the joins with Mr Surfacer and will probably need a wee tidy here and there after I've primed it.

• Like 1

Cheers. I might look into adding some locating tabs of some sort to mine then. But the plastic itself is looking better than I thought given that its not a "top brand" originally/Im a bit chicken to start it for fear of the result. :)

Looks like we both have different aftermarket bits for the same model, wish I had the resin cockpit but instead I have the Big Ed kit so will see how that goes. The Brassin pylon set look a lot nicer than the kits ones if theyll fit into your budget, not sure if theyll look a bit odd though.

I have some spare canopy masks if theyre any use? Not sure of the brand, theyre different to the Big Ed ones though.

Looks like we both have different aftermarket bits for the same model, wish I had the resin cockpit but instead I have the Big Ed kit so will see how that goes. The Brassin pylon set look a lot nicer than the kits ones if theyll fit into your budget, not sure if theyll look a bit odd though.

I have some spare canopy masks if theyre any use? Not sure of the brand, theyre different to the Big Ed ones though.

Is it the SMER boxing you have? I have built a couple before, a KP boxing and the OEZ, the KP kit was pretty much the same standard as this one bit the OEZ one was clearly manufactured some years ago and although it's from the same mold the quality wasn't as good. Fading panel lines and deep scratches in the surface of the plastic.

I have used the Eduard pylons before and there very nice but I noticed the shape wasn't quite right, I felt the kit pylons are a better shape, the Eduard pylons are too pointed at the front end. Thanks for the offer of the masks, not really big mask fan though unless it's a particularly complicated affair!

Muzz

Mine is the KP, its the Eduard rebox with a load of their extra stuff thrown in. I think Ive got that right anyway.

Yea, the pylons are a bit sharp in all regards, the kit ones look like theyll fit in a little better, Ive not compared their shape back to back yet but will now you mention it.

No worries re mask stuff, spares for me should, yknow, just in case, on the off chance.... the Eduard ones arent a great fit. ;)