Airfix Stirling MkI

Hi Guys

for the BC display at Telford this year we have the Stirling on show as it'll be 75th anniversary of their introduction into service. With this in mind I decided to build N3640 as it was the first one issued to a Sqd, in August 1940, for evaluation purposes. There were some notable differences which I had to get in so here goes. The mid upper turret needed deleting, there is some evidence that the early ones had the mid under turret but I couldn't see any evidence from the piccies I had so I went without, probably be proven wrong soon. The two masts under the nose needed to be deleted, fairly easy. I fertled about with the wing leading edge intakes. Having gained two spinners from a friends Wellington kit I had some job searching for another Wellington kit but at Newark I found one and finally had 4 spinners I could cut down for the props, as this a/c had them. I had to drill extra windows to both port and starboard sides but can't remember how many without having another kit to hand so I can compare. By the way, I used Humbrol clearfix to glaze them and they look great but how is it best to use this stuff, it strings like mad and leaves a residue on the paint job, wouldn't have been a prob but I had matted the paint down and it spoiled the finish a bit. I sanded down all the rivet detail and scribed some panels back on. All the exhausts on this a/c were outboard on the engines. I deleted the hedgehog bits and had to shorten two of them so I had a complete set. The blurb I read said they were high up on the cowlings but I think I went too high. Painting was done using Xtracrylics but I'm not happy with the yellow. Decals were from the spares box and the landing light cover, which has been fitted since I took the pictures, was fashioned from sellotape. The wheels were from Scale Resin bought from the big H, I thought the rear wheels would be a bit weak but they've stood up to my moving the kit around. For now at least.

20151016_121628_zpswbjpnkko.jpg

20151016_121644_zps0jtpaslw.jpg

20151016_121715_zpsuznjisgx.jpg

20151016_121732_zpshom3h8rr.jpg

20151016_121743_zpslab1vbf6.jpg

20151016_162446_zpsrtsx8ui9.jpg

Regards

Paul

• Like 22

Hi Chris,

Woody told me how to do this. Cut a piece of sellotape slightly larger than the hole. Carefully line it up with either the top or bottom edge and carefully fold it around the wing leading edge. If you bugger it up start again. When in place you can touch up the edges with paint, I haven't.

Regards

Paul

Hi Paul,

That's a rare look for the good old Airfix Stirling. Never, ever seen one in prototype colours before - great job!

Matt